• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-05-09]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

To be honest, I've never seen any of the Digimon series or movies in Japanese (except for that X Evolution one, though only because it was never dubbed) and I have to say some of the Digimon sound really strange in Japanese. Have you heard Guilmon in Japanese? I know who his seiyuu was, but he didn't sound like a cute little reptile like when Blum voiced him, he sounded like an old woman.

Voice-wise, no I'll agree there that many voices were done very good in english. Some, are very hard to compare which I prefer better. Tailmon/Gatomon both has a good style in either version which I think work. And well, in english they made Yamato/Matt's voice... more his age :/

Really, it's the dialogue overall I was after. Some things had the translation dead on (such as the Adventure/the 1st seasons' prophecy) but in Adventure 02/the 2nd season, most of the serious dialogue was trashed with jokes and silly talk. Oh, not to mention the 'correction' they made to an error. Digmon was supposed to be introduced as 'the drill of knowledge' but did 'the drill of power' for many episodes. How did they dubbers fix it? By making him say 'I used to say "drill of power" but that sounded too _____' (I forgot the correct wording). But yeah, I found it humorous that had to correct it by adding such dialogue onto the show :/

Oh yeah I know about the dialogue changing. At the time Digimon came here, some time after Pokemon, they figured we still wouldn't understand anything about Japanese culture or that little kids shouldn't be listening to stuff about prophecies or digital religions, so you're quite right in saying they replaced it with corny oddball nonsense. And as for Digmon's line, yeah I remember it since I still have all of Season 2 taped. He said, if I recall, "I used to say power before but I think this makes me sound smarter." I know, laaaaaaaaaaame.
MelloHatesNear

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyway, if you really want reasons for why I think Bleach is overrated is because it *was* good until it began to deteriorate into the most repetitive and generic bore-fest ever. And the more people watch/read it, the more they seem to like it even though at one point it was straight-up fighting for, like, ever, with little to no breaks. It's also seen as more "mature" than Naruto, which is laughable -- they're both "teen" SJ. But of course, this is all just my opinion versus everyone else's. It's just hard for me to understand how it's fun or entertaining, and therefore I deem it overrated. Unlike others, though, I can understand that there is something good they see in it because they would say the same about me and Naruto.

I always saw Bleach as a stereotypical shonen that became a political thriller that deteriorated again into a stereotypical shonen.

It's basically visual cotton candy with good fights and a long, badass character roster. Also it has a real sense of fashion and "hipness", something really unique in anime today.

Needless to say, it's one of my faves. Smile
Wing_Goddess

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
Ceru wrote:

Thanks! Anime smile
When I first saw the ending of Esca almost a decade ago I rewrote the ending a million times in my head; usually involving some big dramatic kiss. But even back then I knew she kind of had to go home. As happy as I would have been if she had stayed, she needed to go back to her life. And I think in a way, seeing a kiss almost ruins it. I think it's one of the only ways to fully satisfy the viewers without ruining the... subtlty of their relationship (this may be exactly what I wrote in my answerfans, I forget...). Either way it's a last minute sequence I'd very much like to animate eventually....

But more importantly...
RemastereD? Remasted how? O_O

Last November a limited edition Escaflowne boxset came out. All 26 episodes HD remastered. I'm REALLY hoping for this to be released in North America but since Escaflowne's popularity has died down so much (heck, it's even hard to find Esca fans here still) i kinda doubt it *sigh* I still want it!
here's one place that's selling it
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-a7-49-en-70-27fy.html

If you ever animate it PLEASE let me know in some way or form! I would just love to see that <3

I still find it hard to believe Escaflowne is 10+ years old. Just doesn't feel like it Razz
skyechan

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
Overrated? I vote Naruto and Inuyasha. I just don't see the big point with either of them. Personally I prefer Ranma 1/2 over Inuyasha and Naruto is well...blah? I saw a few fansubbed episodes when it first came out at the local anime club and could not get interested at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:04 am Reply with quote
Wing_Goddess wrote:
Ceru wrote:

Thanks! Anime smile
When I first saw the ending of Esca almost a decade ago I rewrote the ending a million times in my head; usually involving some big dramatic kiss. But even back then I knew she kind of had to go home. As happy as I would have been if she had stayed, she needed to go back to her life. And I think in a way, seeing a kiss almost ruins it. I think it's one of the only ways to fully satisfy the viewers without ruining the... subtlty of their relationship (this may be exactly what I wrote in my answerfans, I forget...). Either way it's a last minute sequence I'd very much like to animate eventually....

But more importantly...
RemastereD? Remasted how? O_O

Last November a limited edition Escaflowne boxset came out. All 26 episodes HD remastered. I'm REALLY hoping for this to be released in North America but since Escaflowne's popularity has died down so much (heck, it's even hard to find Esca fans here still) i kinda doubt it *sigh* I still want it!
here's one place that's selling it
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-a7-49-en-70-27fy.html

If you ever animate it PLEASE let me know in some way or form! I would just love to see that <3

I still find it hard to believe Escaflowne is 10+ years old. Just doesn't feel like it Razz

*raises hand* I'm still an Esca fan. Unfortunately, I wasn't sure what to do about the continuity. To be honest, yes I saw the one that aired on Fox and saw it as long as it lasted as well as the Esca movie some years later. Haven't seen hide nor hair of it since.
ilkz

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:34 am Reply with quote
If any one of you guys lived somewhere in Asia, you will probably watched a good chunk of Doremon now if any body before me mentioned that one you can skip this post. It must be one of most long lived and beloved show on earth, started in the 1970s' and still revising and airing today in Japan and many part of Asia, everyone loved the show from kid garden to senor citizen. I grow up watching the show, its very creative and educational in unexpected ways, still love it while being a fan of flash modern anime like EVA...

Case Closed is like Doremon, rulez in Japan and Asia but never made to the west, its culture perspective are both responsible for the domestic domination as well as limitation. The Same kind situation also apply to our selfs (I mean West in general) A good example for this is Star Wars in China, its a name everyone herd but almost no one watched and loved. People treat it as same childish crap as those silly Japanese live action like Ultra Man (ironic, ironic...). Again its the culture perspectives, you will not 'get' Star Wars without being aware of the religious flavor of our mind. Another example would be Star Track...

Cute, affection, etc never work out in our rationalized and religious West world (not necessarily a bad thing, consider Escafloiune). Things works are sex+violence, or intelligence+creativity or stereotypical+nothing. Now its upon on us to select whatz available here.[/i]
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:22 am Reply with quote
The only thing that comes to mind for being overrated is Bleach. I kinda don't get what people see in Bleach. I'll take DBZ or even Naruto over this any day of the week. (And I don't really consider either of those good either.) Nothing about the series works for me. I find the characters to be generic and uninteresting and their designs rather ugly. The monsters are also ugly, silly looking and generic. There isn't really anything particularly cool about it. There was just nothing here to make this worth watching.

Veoryn87 wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
For worst dub ever, what about the Ghost in the Shell movie? I can't remember what particularly made it so bad since I only saw it one time 5 years ago, but it was unbearable. We eventually had to switch over to subtitles to keep watching, and when we did, it seemed like the dialouge wasn't even on the same subject in that scene.

It certainly wasn't the worst, but I will agree that it is bad. The actors sounded too much like they were reading from a script when they're suppose to be sounding natural. I always wished they would redub it with the series actors, but that probably won't happen.

Really? It was very sombre sure, but I always thought that was quite fitting.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:47 am Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:

Agreed. The FMA anime as a stand alone is great but when I compare the FMA anime to the FMA manga, the anime is garbage. The manga is more lighthearted and comedic as where the anime is darker and depressing.

Wow, for that reason the FMA manga is superior? And here I was all this time thinking I was actually missing out on something having not read it Rolling Eyes

Anyway, while I respect your opinion, I'm just a shocked to hear this about the manga; from my experience, most people who tend to claim "the manga version of [series] is better" do so because it is more dramatic -- and there are certainly a fair number of people I've seen that call the FMA manga better (although unlike you, they don't bother to give reasons).

On a related note, I haven't seen any of the anime, but I'm definitely a fan of the Bleach manga. Is one generally better than the other?

Also, I agree with some of those shows you mentioned, Zalis. While I haven't seen Green Green, Love Hina was utterly cheesey from the 5 minutes of the first episode I could stand to watch (Mitsune's Texas drawl...words fail me), and Crest of the Stars was just plain weak.
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:

Wow, for that reason the FMA manga is superior? And here I was all this time thinking I was actually missing out on something having not read it Rolling Eyes

The Manga is actually in no-mans land at the current time, last I checked. You know the point where a series starts to drag on and drag on and drag on, the "milking the cashcow" sort of feel? The manga and the anime are two entirely different beasts, and you should try them both. Some people feel the anime is a better complete story. Others swear by the manga. Its best to see which you prefer, but the manga isn't a jewel-encrusted gift from the treasure vaults of xerxes.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:37 am Reply with quote
OneHotAlchemist wrote:
Big Hed wrote:

The Manga is actually in no-mans land at the current time, last I checked. You know the point where a series starts to drag on and drag on and drag on, the "milking the cashcow" sort of feel? The manga and the anime are two entirely different beasts, and you should try them both. Some people feel the anime is a better complete story. Others swear by the manga. Its best to see which you prefer, but the manga isn't a jewel-encrusted gift from the treasure vaults of xerxes.

Haha, alright then. So they're two entirely different beasts, huh? Well, maybe I will give the manga a try then (although I'm not sure when, as my budget's pretty strapped as is purchasing other stuff).
IronManExtremis

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:47 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
OneHotAlchemist wrote:
Big Hed wrote:

Haha, alright then. So they're two entirely different beasts, huh? Well, maybe I will give the manga a try then (although I'm not sure when, as my budget's pretty strapped as is purchasing other stuff).

They're actually more or less the same to a point, then the anime starts to reach its climax and tries to reach an ending, while the manga keeps on going, new characters are introduced, and it just continues barreling along, for better or worse.
skyesage

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote
Okay, here is my take on the manga vs. anime debate for Fullmetal Alchemist.

I think saying that the manga is more lighthearted is wrong. It has more humor, and it is mostly the same kind of humor that you see in the anime. There's a decent bit of darker ironic stuff too, at least sometimes, and I enjoy it.

The anime is definetely more melodramatic. There seems to be a lot of crying and sobbing and "oh, Al" in the anime. The purposes of the gate in both are sort of different too (the one in the manga doesn't lead to the 'real' world like in the anime).

The reason that I like the manga so much is that the political side of things is much more played up, but it still makes a lot of sense. Ed is, essentially, meaner, so if you can't stand Ed in the anime you probably won't like him here.

It is also worth noting that the manga is much less 'pretty' than the anime.

...But the new characters (Mei Ling and Ling) are awesome, and the story of the homunculi, while different and perhaps less affecting, is still interesting to read about.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...and the 3rd Digimon Movie gives me MY vote for 'worst dub'.
(And for someone who has been rewatching Digimon in Japanese, didn't realize HOW much of the dialogue, whether pointless or not, was dramatically changed :/)

Actually, I'd say that makes it a pretty good dub, they were able to butcher the plot and take out half of the scenes and still managed to make sense. I'm not saying that that's a good thing to do, but they still managed to do a good job, I know they had me fooled for a few years. Laughing

Quote:
Have you heard Guilmon in Japanese? I know who his seiyuu was, but he didn't sound like a cute little reptile like when Blum voiced him, he sounded like an old woman.

Yeah, Guilmon was done by Masako Nozawa, the woman that does Goku and Gohan from DB/DBZ. I actually thought she was suited as Guilmon, but I never could stand her in DBZ. She was fine when Goku was young but in DBZ it just sounded like the guy never hit puberty.

Quote:

For worst dub ever, what about the Ghost in the Shell movie? I can't remember what particularly made it so bad since I only saw it one time 5 years ago, but it was unbearable. We eventually had to switch over to subtitles to keep watching, and when we did, it seemed like the dialouge wasn't even on the same subject in that scene.

That's really a shame, I picked up a copy of the dub only VHS of Ghost in the Shell at a flea market not too long ago and was looking forward to watching it. But if the dub is really that distracting I might just have to go rent it anyway. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Quark

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
sailorspazz wrote:
I've also never really understood why "Samurai X" is the number one rated anime on ANN. I've seen it, and it was good, but I've seen other anime that had a much great effect on me.

Ah! Thank you! I was trying to think of a show that I thought was overrated, and could only think of Naruto, or Voices of a Distant Star. But you just reminded me about Samurai X.
A friend of mine brought it over, and he must have thought very highly of this show, because he actually bought the DVD, and for him to justify buying an anime, it must be pretty special.
I watched it, I didn't hate it or anything, but from what I had heard of this show from various places, was that it was incredibly emotionally gripping and tragic and will reduce you to a pile of jelly with it's amazingness. I felt nothing. Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed.
Now, maybe I needed to have seen Rurouni Kenshin beforehand to get the full effect. I do have it coming in the mail, so I might give Samurai X another chance after watching the TV series, but...I'm not going to expect much.

Also, I'm one of those "EVANGELION IS THE BEST EVAR!!!1!1!!" fans. Love it, love it, love it. My boyfriend has trashed the show so much though that I've stopped getting butthurt whenever I hear people bad mouth it.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quote
Samurai X has a much different tone than Rurouni Kenshin, I don't really know that it matters at all if you watch one or the other beforehand. I did watch RK first, but given the different style, voice acting, performance, and tone of the Samurai X movie it felt like something almost unrelated to me.

That said I still think it was very good. I don't know that it should be the best rated anime, but it deserves a high rating (and this isn't the only website that gives it a very high rating).

As far as what I think deserves a much lower rating, I'd say Neon Genesis Evangelion. I still liked it, but it isn't some of the things it's made out to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10