• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 Arrested in Japan for Spreading Anime via Share Program

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
bayoab: That puts things into perspective.

Still, I don't believe the situation will change that much. It's pretty much a cycle.

You need to think "outside of the cycle" if you want to escape it. Otherwise...it's just more of the same.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
But use of Friio means that a member or friend of a member of a fansub group lives in an area of Japan with the HD broadcast so that is cutting down file access.

When Perfect Dark goes open source, then there will be more opportunities to crack it.

Adding more complications onto obtaining a file makes the access to the files less.

Yeah, but fansubbers won't have any issues getting raws, I guarantee this. We were able to get HQ raws back before Winny or Share or even WinMX existed! Does anyone remember when all the raws came off of Korean BBS's?

There are more fansubbers living in Japan today than ever before. With the prevalence of digital video, capture devices, and uber-high speed internet, this will have a negligible effect on fansubbing at best.

It will scare the Japanese public a bit, though, who are more easily shaken by such news.

-Tofu
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
But use of Friio means that a member or friend of a member of a fansub group lives in an area of Japan with the HD broadcast so that is cutting down file access.

When Perfect Dark goes open source, then there will be more opportunities to crack it.

Adding more complications onto obtaining a file makes the access to the files less.

Yeah, but fansubbers won't have any issues getting raws, I guarantee this. We were able to get HQ raws back before Winny or Share or even WinMX existed! Does anyone remember when all the raws came off of Korean BBS's?

There are more fansubbers living in Japan today than ever before. With the prevalence of digital video, capture devices, and uber-high speed internet, this will have a negligible effect on fansubbing at best.

It will scare the Japanese public a bit, though, who are more easily shaken by such news.

-Tofu
I'll worship the day you eat those words mate. Wink
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Good for Japanese anime producers- I hope they can keep up this sort of stuff, and eventually take on domestic targets.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese should start thinking outside the box and start including English sub in their releases (especially the BDs), which would get rid/minimize the digital downloads to a good extend.
Steroid

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:

-Tofu

We could go even simpler than that if the need arises. Transferring files out of Japan could be done by newsgroup or e-mail or yousendit-type sites. There's also good old FTP and HTTP. Or a fansubber can import the DVDs and do the ripping in situ. Access to raws is the least of this pirate's worries.
ani12

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Cetus-kun wrote:
ani12 wrote:
Good, now they are cracking down on illegal downloading there, too.

Actually weren't they uploaders?

Well, they upload for those who download, so they are in the same boat as downloaders.
Starks

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
Does anyone remember when all the raws came off of Korean BBS's?

*raises hand*
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
ani12 wrote:
Except downloading isn't illegal there.
crilix

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
But still, you gotta hand it to the guys that got caught, especially 92Jey. He was a well-known figure among fansubbers. His raws were generally respected in the SD era.

*salute*

Last edited by crilix on Fri May 09, 2008 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
High-Tech Crime Task Force

I assume they wouldn't of managed to catch these felons had they not been high-tech.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ani12

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
ani12 wrote:
Except downloading isn't illegal there.

Not yet.
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON wrote:
. And,maybe,just MAYBE... fans will actually buy Anime and support the domestic industry. But all i can tell youu is... You'd better start learning Japanese quick!!! Very Happy

I'd say that maybe is a big poof of hot air... if they weren't buying before they sure as hell aren't going to start later. Especially since cutting of fansubs will feed the average anime fan's sense of martyrdom.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
But still, you gotta hand it to the guys that got caught, especially 92Jey. He was a well-known figure among fansubbers. His raws were generally respected in the SD era.

*salute*

Wait, 92Jey was one of them?

I used to use his raws a long time ago.... Now I feel a little melancholy. (although he was old-school when it came to raws.... I don't think he ever released anything that wasn't divx and in SD).

I guess they really are targeting the famous ones, I suppose.
leongsh

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
samuelp wrote:

And, actually, to be brutally honest, all this will do is push the development and user-base of "perfect dark"... and there's no way they're cracking that one any time soon, it's built like fort knox.
Thats the same thing they said about Share... and Winny, and all of the other programs. PDs security is not that much better.

What nobody is saying is the real reason these people got caught is they were using a trip and thus their files were tagged. This makes it much easier to trace the file. Also, until recently, one of them was also using Winny.

Yup. If you read the reports, the common denominator is that they were using Share and were well-known "trips" or hashed identities. It was already known about easily a year back that if you were using Share, it was possible to track, find your IP and identify you irrespective of whether you have a trip or not. 92J also used Winny but he was caught due to his use of Share.

So far, the only known flaw with Winny is if you use the integrated forum/BBS. They can then track the opening post for that thread. If you have a trip and announced your releases by posting opening posts, they could find you. If you do not have a "trip" and do not use the built-in forum when using Winny, you may still be untraceable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4