• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Disappearance Diary

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:03 am Reply with quote
The world-of-mouth that DD has been getting is suprisingly mixed, and even the positive praise is fairly restrained, so it's good to finally see an glowing review (which I was expecting from a title that won the Tezuka AND the Media Arts prize).
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:48 am Reply with quote
Interesting review - and not something I expected to see reviewed at ANN. Consider me pleasantly suprised.

I'm a sucker for autobiographical manga and I really enjoyed Disappearance Diary, despite some initial scepticism given who the author is.

It's not a perfect book - Azuma's brutally frank about a lot of things but skirts around some subjects that would give the reader a better understanding of his life (like the impact that him repeatedly abandoning his family without warning had on his wife and son and on their relationship with him) - but it is a fascinating read overall and the art style works perfectly.

Azuma comes across as a self-centred prick but watching his life collapse is undeniably compelling.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote
I looked this up on Amazon and it said it wasn't available. Is it possible I could get an isbn number for it? Or is there a store that has it where I could pick it up online? The review has piqued my interest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the_seventh_l

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
brand wrote:
I looked this up on Amazon and it said it wasn't available. Is it possible I could get an isbn number for it? Or is there a store that has it where I could pick it up online? The review has piqued my interest.

I'd like to know this as well. I really wanna add this to my Amazon wish list Very Happy
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
I looked this up on Amazon and it said it wasn't available. Is it possible I could get an isbn number for it?

ISBN-10: 8496427420
ISBN-13: 9788496427426

brand wrote:
Or is there a store that has it where I could pick it up online? The review has piqued my interest.

None of the major retailers have it yet but Knockabout Comics have some advance copies for sale here.
amarythia
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:53 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:

Casey here.

I did not include purchasing information in the review--I apologize. The publisher has been having distro issues, and I didn't want to include anything that might be incorrect. But last I heard, Disappearance Diary will be shipping from Diamond in October and will be available in the bookstore market (including Amazon) by the end of the year.

If you can't wait that long (and if you can't, I don't blame you!), you may be able to purchase copies directly from the publisher if you hit them up at a con. I believe Fanfare will be at San Diego Comic Con.
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
i will have to look this up on amazon, it sounds good
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:

Azuma comes across as a self-centred prick but watching his life collapse is undeniably compelling.

I'm not sure when this book was published, but I read through an acquaintances (Japanese) copy I believe about two years ago, and my thoughts were along the same lines as yours. Especially the first part of your statement.

I know bumble-squat about manga, so I've no idea what works the author has done. The story struck me as interesting, but overall there was a larger sense of the author playing a very disingenuous game of 'Woe is Me'. It's like 'American Splendor', except with a weaselly, self-centered ass who apparently doesn't even think enough of his family to even pass in a token concern. The 'comic' style set against a depressing reality felt less like an effort to make the story accessible, and more like an effort to make an egotistical weirdo a 'lovable' character. This kind of 'Graphic Novel autobiography' form has it's own appeal, but this particular story left me with an awfully negative impression of Hideo Azuma.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Hm. Review actually makes me want to read this when it becomes widely available.

I've been very hesitant to read this title (particularly ever since Stephen Paul's lukewarm reaction in his review), but I'll probably give it a shot down the line since I haven't missed any Fanfare/Ponent Mon titles yet.

Just by reading around I already have a negative bias against Azuma, and can't imagine this manga would improve that perception. Still, it sounds more engaging than the rather dry Doing Time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1