• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japanese schools are dangerous at night

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:31 am Reply with quote
Ghosts are big in japanese culture (spirits, souls, whatever), and schools host the main portion of the writer's target audience. Da-ka-ra~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
arkady

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:51 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Reading Zalis' topic on traffic accidents is true. One of the things that I have noticed is that there seems to be more schools that are haunted by ghosts and demons at night than graveyards or churches.

Obviously the series Gakkou no Kaidan would be the likely candidate for haunted schools, but there are a few other series that delve into this realm. There is one episode of Mahoromatic that is based around a ghost who haunts their school. In the first DVD of GTO there is a scene where Onizuka thinks that the school is haunted. I know there are at least a few other examples which I can't think of right now (CCS?) but the ratio of ghosts in schools seems ridiculously high.

In Kanon the demon hunter is on campus every night waiting to fight demons. Likewise the first volume of Blood+ has Saya making a visit to campus after hours where monsters are lurking. Japanese schools are dangerous at night.

We are talking about a country where both school and ghosts do play a bigger role in their culture than many Western societies, but I wonder if there is something more to it than that. Is there a famous haunted school in Japan or is this just a common urban myth.

It couldn't possibly be because so many anime heroes/heroines are high-school students, could it?

Consider the demographic at which most anime is aimed.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:08 am Reply with quote
arkady wrote:
It couldn't possibly be because so many anime heroes/heroines are high-school students, could it?

But how many shows targeted towards teens in the States have haunted high schools compared to the insane number of haunted schools in Japan. Even Fighterholic mentioned above that his sempai thought his school was haunted. I really believe that many more kids in Japan feel as though there are ghosts lurking the halls in night compared to kids in the States.

It really seems as though most kids here associate ghosts with haunted houses and graveyards while those in Japan link them with schools.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
But there's no equivalent of "anime" produced in the USA. All we primarily get are sports, reality TV shows and other such things.

Like arkady and a couple others might have suggested, I think the ghosts-in-school-in-animes phenomena might be simply "coincidence" due to the fact that most animes take place in schools, there are so many thousands of animes out there, and many of them are at a loss as to what to do with each episode so they often resort to a pool of cookie-cutter ideas.

But you might be on to something too when you think that ghosts and such play a larger role in Japan than over here. I dunno, it's probably both.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
But how many shows targeted towards teens in the States have haunted high schools compared to the insane number of haunted schools in Japan. Even Fighterholic mentioned above that his sempai thought his school was haunted. I really believe that many more kids in Japan feel as though there are ghosts lurking the halls in night compared to kids in the States.

It really seems as though most kids here associate ghosts with haunted houses and graveyards while those in Japan link them with schools.

I think another thing has to do with culture. One reason people over here will associate ghosts with haunted houses is the Haunted House ride at Disneyland. But the amount of urban legends that come over in Japan about haunted schools is just phenominal, and at times they'll have TV shows about going into supposed haunted schools as well. There are plenty of other urban legends involving ghosts in Japan as well, such as coming up in certain other "ghost" spots. One way of really finding about that kind stuff I suggest looking up Junji Inagawa, because he is one of the more influential figures when it comes to ghost stories in Japan.
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
arkady wrote:

But how many shows targeted towards teens in the States have haunted high schools compared to the insane number of haunted schools in Japan.

I cannot speak for Japan or the States as I was born and raised in Portugal, Europe. However, I went to very old schools who belonged to Catholic nuns (think Ouran meets Marimite. And I am not kidding, either) and they all had a few legends running around regarding dead kids who haunted the campus. Interestingly enough, a few were made up by me and gained a very large following, to the point that the rumours became more or less universally accepted as "canonical" hauntings, for lack of a better word.
But back to the topic at hand, there does seem to be quit a few anime that feature at least one episodic occurence of ghostly or just supernatural activities in school. Apart from the above mentioned examples, Mythical Detective Loki has one episode in which Mayura's school turns out to be haunted and it even managed to squeeze in the famous "seven mysteries" routine. Xxxholic has a particularly creepy confrontation that takes place on the school roof, at night. Cardcaptor Sakura has an episode (and fans of the series who are more familiar with it might know of more) in which Sakura is terrified of a rumoured singing ghost that is haunting her school. Denno Coil, in which urban legends reign supreme, has an episode in which the gang stays the night over at school and Haraken narrates a rather spooky story about a school that is haunted.

As stated, I do not know about Japan but the fact that the "haunted house" theme seems to feature in many school festivals in anime makes me wonder if indeed there is a more or less general interest in spooky things.
x-tengentoppa-x

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
well the first few chapters of mirai nikki had to do with some teacher going around killing students with a giant knife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sogekihei-neko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
x-tengentoppa-x wrote:
well the first few chapters of mirai nikki had to do with some teacher going around killing students with a giant knife

Wow. And I thought not doing homework was a big deal in the USA.....
Dreaming Sky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
sogekihei-neko wrote:
x-tengentoppa-x wrote:

Wow. And I thought not doing homework was a big deal in the USA.....

I don't think he was actually targeting his students, just spoiler[the future diary holders, which is why he went after Yuno and Yuki.] Other than those two, I don't think he went after any students.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Um, I belive I read somewhere that its tradition for almost every school to have Seven Mysteries, the tradition being started by one school in particular, Fudo High.
I belive that was actually explained in a subtitle editors note in the anime Uta~Kata.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2