• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: First Image of Live-Action Dragonball's Goku Published

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MelloHatesNear

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
If they build it, I will lawl.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
To be fair, the original costumes in Dragon Ball are really stupid. I know legions of fans have come to associate them with their favorite show, but they're really awful. Seriously, a bright orange jumpsuit? Some green dude with a turban and a tunic? These are terrible outfits.[Snip]
That's fair and I understand how stupid most of it looks,but there is a method to Toriyama's madness.The orange gi is symbolic to Goku's alien name Kakarrot.Take that away and the series long carrot joke disappears.Piccolo's tunic is Namek auto garb,his weighted cloak and turban are what he came back with after the countless wars he wandered through.(after Dragonball) Smile

barashin wrote:
Laughing I didn't know goku's orange gi symbolized a carrot Laughing

...in all seriousness, most people wouldn't care what that color of his gi symbolized either than it symbolizing goku being trained by Master Roshi...
I understand that the mass audience won't understand much.It's all in good fun.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Put Goku in school and his innocence is no more.Take away his best friend and the achievement of Super Sayian is lost.I don't see anyone else besides Roshi,Bulma,Piccolo and ChiChi.Dragonball is a huge dish,(judging from the few pics were leaked) it looks like they took one bite and threw the rest away.I await the trailer. Cool

barashin wrote:
you sir have no sense of imagination whatsoever,[Snip]

Imagination? Laughing You got me all wrong.Anime and Videogames are all I've done since birth.I went from the crude antics of Dr. Slump straight into Dragonball.I was insulted when they brought Dragonball from the Famicon to the NES and named it Dragonpower.(They cut off goku's hair),I even have a bunch of different sized Dragonball Pogs and a Gold Piccolo slammer (Damn 90's),you sure as hell got to have imagination to be entertained by that crap.Also as I've said before I'm just messing around.Come on,Dragonball was all about comedy,it ain't Z yet. Laughing This movie couldn't be complete without a full trip to find all 7 balls,I'm dying to see how they made Shenlong.

barashin wrote:
though coming from a fan, such as myself, I fully understand what you're saying...I too await for the trailer, but I ain't expecting nothing more nothing less. Just an adaptation...

I really don't expect much of Hollywood either,unless they've watched all 508 episodes(collection) and all 19 movies.It looks like they merely glanced at a cheepy bootlegged pencilboard and went with it.The way Justin is dressed proves they didn't cater to the hardcore. Smile

Last edited by Shadowrun20XX on Mon May 12, 2008 10:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
Alucalb

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
My one criticism of that picture is he's not grimacing fiercely enough. C'mon, Goku, you're charging up a fireball and you look like you're reading a grocery list!
MelloHatesNear

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Alucalb wrote:
C'mon, Goku, you're charging up a fireball and you look like you're reading a grocery list!

"Milk? Check. Cabbage? Check. Lulz? Double-check."
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
The reason X-Men had those Matrix-ey outfits was it's a dramatic series....

Uh no. The reason they had those outfits was because that's their outfits in Ultimate X-Men.

Zac wrote:
The best part about this movie is the hilarious wailing and moaning temper tantrum response it gets from anime fans.

Zac wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Somebody call up Mike Nelson. I think we have a contender for Rifftrax of 2009.

yes of course clearly this movie that doesn't come out for a year is horribly bad based on this one grainy black and white photo

Really, I'm sick of this old "you can't judge it til it comes out!!!" BS. It doesn't take a genius to tell that the movie is going in the completely wrong direction. The articles and interviews posted online, and all of the other pictures posted, including that one "grainy photo," all of it speaks volumes about how the film is going to be. Don't insult my intelligence by saying I can't spot a bad movie in the making when I see one, and then tell me to shut up about it. And don't be surprised to find out this film is going to be an embarassment to Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball fans.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
MelloHatesNear wrote:
Alucalb wrote:
C'mon, Goku, you're charging up a fireball and you look like you're reading a grocery list!

"Milk? Check. Cabbage? Check. Lulz? Double-check."

Bed head,Mad ass static charge,Check. T shirt with strange Asian character coffee stain,Check.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Ultimate X-Men came out after the movie.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:

Really, I'm sick of this old "you can't judge it til it comes out!!!" BS. It doesn't take a genius to tell that the movie is going in the completely wrong direction. The articles and interviews posted online, and all of the other pictures posted, including that one "grainy photo," all of it speaks volumes about how the film is going to be. Don't insult my intelligence by saying I can't spot a bad movie in the making when I see one, and then tell me to shut up about it. And don't be surprised to find out this film is going to be an embarassment to Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball fans.

Then please tell me what the "right direction" is and exactly how this movie should be made.

Nobody told you to "shut up" either so please spare me your "my stupid opinions can't be silenced FIRST AMENDMENT" theatrics.

You're insulting my intelligence by suggesting that you have some enlightened wisdom that enables you to look at one black and white photo of a publicity still and proclaim that the entire film will be trash.

It's reactionary "look at me I said it sucks first!" posturing and it's tiresome, redundant and doesn't show any sign that you're willing to just see how it goes before making some kind of white-noise "judgment call" on a movie you haven't seen a single frame of moving footage from.

I'm not insulting your intelligence, I'm insulting your ability to be remotely reasonable about something as trivial as a live-action movie based on a cartoon aimed at children.
Kouga13

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Personally I love all the flak it's getting; it'll make me that much more pleasantly surprised when I go see it.

Nothing like low-expectations to make movies more watchable.
barashin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
GATSU wrote:
The reason X-Men had those Matrix-ey outfits was it's a dramatic series....

Uh no. The reason they had those outfits was because that's their outfits in Ultimate X-Men.

Zac wrote:
The best part about this movie is the hilarious wailing and moaning temper tantrum response it gets from anime fans.

Zac wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Somebody call up Mike Nelson. I think we have a contender for Rifftrax of 2009.

yes of course clearly this movie that doesn't come out for a year is horribly bad based on this one grainy black and white photo

Wow, if this is really how a Dragonball/DragonballZ fan sounds like, I want nothing to do with this show. Nothing at all. Seriously...this is really sad Sad
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:

Really, I'm sick of this old "you can't judge it til it comes out!!!" BS. It doesn't take a genius to tell that the movie is going in the completely wrong direction. The articles and interviews posted online, and all of the other pictures posted, including that one "grainy photo," all of it speaks volumes about how the film is going to be.

I've noticed the majority of the posters seem to agree with you. For the most part, so do I. I'm not going to see this movie unless it gets stunning reviews.

Zac, you obviously know how emotional people will get about this topic. Just continue to enjoy the "whining" (as you say), or consider not allowing Talkbacks on this topic if it gets too ugly for your tastes.
Proman

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
And the saddest thing is - they couldn't even get the hair right. Also, Chatwin is miscast.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
And the saddest thing is - they couldn't even get the hair right. Also, Chatwin is miscast.

If you haven't noticed, Goku's original hair is a joke. Can you imagine how long it would take to style every morning? And how long it'd take to wash? It's totally outdated and kind of awful.

They modernized it by giving Chatwin the signature big hair, but making it manageable, and also something that someone today would actually wear.
MelloHatesNear

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:

Ironically, he was cast BECAUSE of his hair.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Alucalb wrote:
My one criticism of that picture is he's not grimacing fiercely enough. C'mon, Goku, you're charging up a fireball and you look like you're reading a grocery lisYet!

Yeah, he should look like he's having massive constipation! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10