• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: First Image of Live-Action Dragonball's Goku Published

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:46 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Sakechan: If casual cosplayers doing it on a budget can pull off the hair, I don't see why a studio spending millions can't get it right, either. Plus the 'do Chatwin has looks more like something Gohan would have, not Goku. And if that Napoleon Dynamite guy can make money with unruly hair, why the hell can't they have a main character like that in a tent-pole film? Hell, that brother from High School Musical looks more like Goku than Chatwin!

Anyway, I think what will make this film bomb is that they only got started on it a few months ago. This is the kind of thing which takes planning.

1. They're not trying to make this a cosplay wank-fest. They just want realistic hair and realistic costumes. Who in real life has Goku spikes? Nobody who also spends half his time punching bad guys. Can you imagine how much that hair would get in the way? Or give the bad guys a way to grab onto their hair? Seriously.

2. "They only got started on it a few months ago"? Dude, they finished filming in March.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:08 am Reply with quote
Movie aside, but Son Goku's hair outdated? Unique, as in realistically impossible, yes. His gi is just a nod to that of a Buddist monk. Kakarrot was a pun off of his Saiya-jin ancestry ("Saiya" being an acronym for "Yasai", which means Vegetable in Japanese). The yellow-orange color from the gi was the giveaway/joke.

As far as the movie goes, I'll wait for further previews.
Bruce91

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:48 am Reply with quote
"you cannot judge a book on it's cover"

the movie may look cheesy but i will laugh if the movie has the most crazy fighting scenes...

btw people should look at the movie in a more realistic way
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:30 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
To be fair, the original costumes in Dragon Ball are really stupid. I know legions of fans have come to associate them with their favorite show, but they're really awful. Seriously, a bright orange jumpsuit? Some green dude with a turban and a tunic? These are terrible outfits.[Snip]
That's fair and I understand how stupid most of it looks,but there is a method to Toriyama's madness.The orange gi is symbolic to Goku's alien name Kakarrot.Take that away and the series long carrot joke disappears.

No. Toriyama based Goku's gi, along with Kuririn's off the kind of clothes the Shaolin monks wear. Nothing to do with the carrot pun.

Just wanted to say a little something in defense of DB cosplayers. Not all of them are "nerds in orange jumpsuits with foam hair" as Zac stated. I know of many that have made extremely jaw-dropping cosplays that look like they stepped right out of the manga, and they made accurate hair using wigs, not foam or cardboard. I do realize however the point Zac was making about things getting stupid, but I just needed to say that.

As for the talk of Goku's hair being hard to style and getting the way and this and that, Saiyajin hair grows to a set length and style and never changes. Basically, Goku goes to bed with his hair looking like that and wakes up the same. He'd be the perfect model! No taking tons of time to style him up before photoshoots. XP
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quote
rascalking wrote:
Agreed. But part of me really thinks the Nihonjins will eat this up. I think thats part of the reason its releasing there first.

To me there are two factors that can prove this statement: Chow Yun Fat and Stephen Chow. From my experiences in Japan the Japanese will get hyped up about stuff based on names alone. Aside from that, I see repetition from the Transformers movie here in this thread about Dragon Ball. Frankly I'm not surprised, but I'll stand where I stood last time, you don't know until you see it. Iron Man without a doubt has a lasting impression you can't shake off easily, not to say that Dragon Ball is going to compare to Dragon Ball, but I'm sure that there will be plenty of people who will enjoy it. Another thing that has crossed my mind is maybe they're not making it with a sequel in mind.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Quote:
Then please tell me what the "right direction" is and exactly how this movie should be made.

By adapting the source manga, from the beginning, not in the middle of it, therefore leaving out characters and plot lines that set up the said part being adapted.

Hell, let's just start with a premise that doesn't involve Goku being in high school.
Hey! I got an idea! why don't they sign up the entire staff and actors of the WWE? Then that would really make it just like the manga and anime. Whadaya think? Yeah? They would all then have the bodies and the minds to match.

Quote:
Dragon Ball is an anime near and dear to my heart.
I'd have never guessed. Wink
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote
When Hollywood does put out a trailer for Dragon Ball, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be vaguer than Cloverfield. Rolling Eyes
Mohawk52 wrote:
Hey! I got an idea! why don't they sign up the entire staff and actors of the WWE? Then that would really make it just like the manga and anime. Whadaya think? Yeah? They would all then have the bodies and the minds to match.

I call Jesse Ventura for Nappa. Smile
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
Y'know, I was hoping they'd have heavily stylized visuals, with a bunch of bulky pro-wrestlers in crazy costumes. Right now it just looks like an alternate universe of Smallville.

I'm hoping that they're purposely leaking unexciting photos and the real film will be flashy.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
Movie can swing on my nuts, Burst Limit's the only Dragon Ball related media worth looking forward to! OOOO!!
Isaaru

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
Movie can swing on my nuts, Burst Limit's the only Dragon Ball related media worth looking forward to! OOOO!!

I think I just lost some brain cells

the whole Dragonball movie rattle reminds me of an old Simpsons episode:

Comic Book Guy: Last night's 'Itchy and Scratchy Show' was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured, I was on the internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote
tidusora wrote:
Personally, I would've taken it in a different direction, but I want to see a trailer first before I let out any critique. If the trailer ends up like the doomed Mortal Kombat series, then I will be dissapointed, but if it surprises me, like Spider Man or Iron Man, then I will be in awe, probably drooling over it like a crazed fanboy. =D
I'm still going to drool over it.You didn't see the leaked pics.It looked hot on the heels of Motal Kombat 1 and 2,lots o spandex.One of the area's they've shown is like a toxic dump(I hope no one gets power like that).It also has some creepy alien things and a tall guy that looked like the Goomba from the Mario Bros Movie.I can't figure out if they are going for comedy or being dead serious.

ANBUx3 wrote:
Y'know, I was hoping they'd have heavily stylized visuals, with a bunch of bulky pro-wrestlers in crazy costumes. Right now it just looks like an alternate universe of Smallville.

I'm hoping that they're purposely leaking unexciting photos and the real film will be flashy.
Good God I hope so.GATSU found some pics a little while ago,that kind of sunk any hopes I had.The pics were taken down quickly.I hope Chow will pull this thing off with a dose of CG.

Jerseymilk wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
To be fair, the original costumes in Dragon Ball are really stupid. I know legions of fans have come to associate them with their favorite show, but they're really awful. Seriously, a bright orange jumpsuit? Some green dude with a turban and a tunic? These are terrible outfits.[Snip]
That's fair and I understand how stupid most of it looks,but there is a method to Toriyama's madness.The orange gi is symbolic to Goku's alien name Kakarrot.Take that away and the series long carrot joke disappears.

No. Toriyama based Goku's gi, along with Kuririn's off the kind of clothes the Shaolin monks wear. Nothing to do with the carrot pun.
I know where the Gi came from,we were discussing "Orange".I guess it doesn't matter if Kulilin(Krillin and Kuririn) doesn't exist.I wonder if they gave Goku a family. Very Happy

Last edited by Shadowrun20XX on Tue May 13, 2008 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm just thinkin' Power Rangers. I look at the leaked pictures and notes of info and all I can see is POWER RANGERS! Laughing

I'll be first in line to see this, whether it's good, bad, or ugly. Honestly, I had low expectations for this film, so if it's even Mortal Kombat the Movie caliber, I'll be satisfied. It looks hysterical, you know?

And I suppose it's fitting that Japan gets to see it first, but kind of sad, too. I gotta wait 'til April 3rd. My boyfriend's a huge Dragonball Z fan, and he was pretty sad about that. But we'll be first in line on that day! Very Happy
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
One of the area's they've shown is like a toxic dump(I hope no one gets power like that).

It's called a green screen, dude. I know of the photograph you speak of, and it's definitely a green screen.

ANBUx3 wrote:

Can you imagine if it was a bunch of wrestlers in goofy outfits? With the exception of you, and maybe a handful of other anime fans, everyone else on the planet would think it looks stupid and ridiculous. Every critic in the country would be thinking, "Why the heck did they get some old HGH sack to play Goku?"
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Quote:
Then please tell me what the "right direction" is and exactly how this movie should be made.

By adapting the source manga, from the beginning, not in the middle of it, therefore leaving out characters and plot lines that set up the said part being adapted.

Hell, let's just start with a premise that doesn't involve Goku being in high school.

So according to you

= ??

Fail.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:

I think I just lost some brain cells

the whole Dragonball movie rattle reminds me of an old Simpsons episode:

Comic Book Guy: Last night's 'Itchy and Scratchy Show' was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured, I was on the internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

Only thing that can save this movie is Ernie Hudson.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10