• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Responds to PETA About Super Mario 3D Land

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:41 am Reply with quote
Shocking. Truly shocking. Please watch this video and show your support: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0VUY-5qeIA
............ Laughing
formerroadie1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:42 am Reply with quote
PETA is being soooo stupid.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote
Why does Nintendo always forget about the boot? That was the best 'transformation' in Mario 3.
tetron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote
I swear they do this so randomly nowadays...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote
Hasn't Mario been killing turtles for years? PETA never cared about the turtles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote
I'm very disappointed I didn't see Nintendo respond with a signed image of Mario, wearing the Tanooki suit, flipping off caricatures of PETA executives by Miyamoto himself.

Very disappointed.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Why does Nintendo always forget about the boot? That was the best 'transformation' in Mario 3.

Publicity stunt at it's finest ladies and gentlemen. I do not know who their lobbyists and sponsors are but they should die in a fire.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote
As much as I hate PETA, this is hilarious. I mean I'm sure we've all wondered where Mario gets his outfits from.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
As much as I hate PETA, this is hilarious. I mean I'm sure we've all wondered where Mario gets his outfits from.

I always just assumed they were hallucinations induced by natural poisons like mushrooms ("everything looks smaller, man"), plant leaves ("I can totally fly if I just run fast enough"), or frogs ("dude, I can swim like the beasts, now"). Admittedly, this didn't explain the tanuki suit, but by the time you get there, your brain would already be so fried you see the skin of a tanooki floating around.
keikanna44

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
Attention PETA: No animals were harmed during the programming of this game! Rolling Eyes
Hoofbites

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
So by PETA's logic, if I wear a bunny costume on Halloween, I'm an awful, awful person.

Any little thing sets them off. They're like the Joe Pesci of animal advocacy groups.
TC-man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
PETA is simply distorting the facts and truths, the Tanuki suits works like magic, it's not like in Monster Hunter where you need to upgrade your weapons and armor to hunt down and kill (prehistoric) creatures/animals.

I think PETA is abusing the famous Super Mario brand for their own campaign against animal cruelty. I guess PETA don't mind all the killing in games such as COD: Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3. And in Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion you also can kill bears and deers with magic. Remember, Tomb Raider/Lara Croft is shooting at Tigers, Bears, Wolves which are endangered species (but not in a videogame) in real life.

Last edited by TC-man on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:13 am; edited 2 times in total
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Hasn't Mario been killing turtles for years? PETA never cared about the turtles.

Yep, only cuddly animals matter to the kind of people who care about others.

Why do you think Americans made The Cove about the Japanese maltreatment of dolphins, and not about how Americans treat battery hens? Its because most people who went to see that film just so they could feel superior to the Japanese, are not vegans and don't wan't reminding where their fried chicken comes from. It would be inconvenient to think about it, so no Americans would watch The Cove.

And speaking of games, what about 'Lara Croft's Cruelty Zoo'? People complained about Charlie Brooker's satire in some video games mag when I was like 4 years old or something, but no one tried to ban that game.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
geeeh ffs the attention whoring morons known as peta should all shut the fudge up already, the only people who give a damn about their statements are people just as stupid as them or people dumb enough to get arrested on the same day in a massive group for indecent exposure in a public place
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote
First of all, PETA is being incredibly stupid in this campaign.

That being said... I can't help but laugh at this. It's pretty funny to think that they'd get so worked up about one of the least realistic or serious games ever created.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5