• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lucky Star DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:14 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Since when has the quality of the show ever factored in to whether or not it receives a dub? That decision has always been, and will always be, dependent only on perceived sales potential and/or TV contracts.
So Lucky Star will be seen to sell more in the west than say Emma, or Aria? That's the annoyingly fascinating thing about this. But if its title is a measure of its fate, then it can thank its lucky star it didn't get licensed by Rightstuf Wink
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:45 am Reply with quote
That's funny. I watched the first episode and I immediately compared it to Seinfield for being a show about nothing.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Although humor is scattered sporadically throughout each episode (and some will find the content much funnier than others), the most consistently funny parts are the Lucky Channel bits which constitute the last 90 seconds or so of each episode.

Oh, I disagree. Akira was really funny the first couple episodes when it was unexpected, but 20 episodes later her shtick got really old. Lucky Channel was by far my least favorite part of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:01 am Reply with quote
Lucky Star, to me, got better as it went along. The first few episodes are VERY talk-heavy, but that lessened in later ones. I'm still finishing it, but when I get home I'm sure I'll pick up the American DVDs. Smile I saw a preview of the dub and was quite impressed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:07 am Reply with quote
Lucky Star without a doubt has its moments, but I agree without a doubt with the review. It does get VERY talkative. That doesn't mean that I don't have high hopes for what will come later in the series, however, as there will be many more things that we will be seeing later as the series progresses. However, I have to say that was a very detailed listing right at the end of the review on the right, compared to a lot of other reviews I've seen Shocked
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:13 am Reply with quote
I forgot to mention this!

While it can be applied to most anime that take place in the real world, I have an added appreciation for Lucky Star after spending some time living in Japan. In episode 11 there's a long conversation about trains that is amusing just because I've dealt with the same stuff. Somehow it's fun watching these girls talk about such mundane topics, but at least I can relate!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
I forgot to mention this!

While it can be applied to most anime that take place in the real world, I have an added appreciation for Lucky Star after spending some time living in Japan. In episode 11 there's a long conversation about trains that is amusing just because I've dealt with the same stuff. Somehow it's fun watching these girls talk about such mundane topics, but at least I can relate!
And that folks, is what anime and manga is all about. Wink
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
Haha, it's just so true! I haven't been into anime as heavily as I used to be, but watching it again now after living here really changes my perspective. It's really just the little things that you don't notice/pick up/goes over your head otherwise. It makes me want to watch more slice-of-life type series now!
sakurawei

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:38 am Reply with quote
i wan to get it but im broke Y_Y
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
I was sold when Wendee Lee was able to nail Laura Bailey's version of Shin-chan.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Yet another extremely generous review for a Kadokawa USA product. Hmmm..... I think my theory might be true after all.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It is also not a show everyone is going to “get.” In some senses it resembles Azumanga Daioh in its stream-of-consciousness approach to examination of the ordinary, although this series relies much more heavily on its dialogue, and comparatively little on its visuals, to induce its humor.

I mean no disrespect, but I disgree with you completely. Azumanga Daioh potrayed a realistic show about what high school is about in Japan. Though I haven't seen Lucky Star yet, I know this series is a moe fest. Azumanga Daioh characters have realistic hair colors, personalities and body proportions. Lucky Star has characters with green, purple and even blue hair.

Azumanga Daioh had a consistant plot of a normal life for a Japanese student. Through tests, homework, friends, go on fieldtrips and other slice of life events. Based on your review and a friend of mine has told me about this series, this series doesn't even have a plot other than the life of a otaku highschool girl.

Just to see how the cultural jokes are translated in English, my friend and I are going to buy copies of Lucky Star and see how great/bad this series really is.

Overall though, great review though.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Haha, the moment I finished the review's synopsis section, the first thing I thought was: Seinfeld. While I can always get a laugh out of watching an episode like 'The Contest', though, I don't think LS is for me.

The art style being the most immediate problem for me, which struck me right off the bat as unappealing back before I even knew what LS was at the start of '07. This also compounds the problem of having seen enough slice of life/parody shows (I'm a big fan of AzuDai and Haruhi, still need to pick up Genshiken, too) that this isn't all too interesting on the basis of its content.

Not to mention, I'm obsessive-compulsive about box sets, and I just couldn't bring myself to purchase LSs' with that t-shirt in tow Laughing.

Now, Teriyaki Terrier, I'm going to have to disagree with your comparison. Azumanga Daioh has about as much plot as Lucky Star, from what I understand of the latter. Both revolve around highschool life and the interactions among a small group of friends, sans the more apparent progression of time in AzuDai. As for the moe-fest vs. non moe-fest remark; I think there would be a pretty large part of the moe crowd out there that would describe the AzuDai cast as fitting the bill (okay, I'm not a big moe fan, but I digress).

Finally, as for realism? Might want to keep in mind that while the LS girls might have some serious hair color treatment, Chihiro is only 10 Wink.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

Yet another extremely generous review for a Kadokawa USA product. Hmmm..... I think my theory might be true after all.

What, that Kadokawa can push some quality product? I'm not a fan of LS personally, but I can cleary see how this has fan appeal (as is also evident if you choose to dive into one of the many *.chans.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Haha, the moment I finished the review's synopsis section, the first thing I thought was: Seinfeld. While I can always get a laugh out of watching an episode like 'The Contest', though, I don't think LS is for me.

The art style being the most immediate problem for me, which struck me right off the bat as unappealing back before I even knew what LS was at the start of '07. This also compounds the problem of having seen enough slice of life/parody shows (I'm a big fan of AzuDai and Haruhi, still need to pick up Genshiken, too) that this isn't all too interesting on the basis of its content.

Not to mention, I'm obsessive-compulsive about box sets, and I just couldn't bring myself to purchase LSs' with that t-shirt in tow Laughing.

Now, Teriyaki Terrier, I'm going to have to disagree with your comparison. Azumanga Daioh has about as much plot as Lucky Star, from what I understand of the latter. Both revolve around highschool life and the interactions among a small group of friends, sans the more apparent progression of time in AzuDai. As for the moe-fest vs. non moe-fest remark; I think there would be a pretty large part of the moe crowd out there that would describe the AzuDai cast as fitting the bill (okay, I'm not a big moe fan, but I digress).

Finally, as for realism? Might want to keep in mind that while the LS girls might have some serious hair color treatment, Chihiro is only 10 Wink.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

What, that Kadokawa can push some quality product? I'm not a fan of LS personally, but I can cleary see how this has fan appeal (as is also evident if you choose to dive into one of the many *.chans.

I'm not going to argue that they can push a product, that's for sure.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
[
Quote:
quote="Big Hed"]Haha, the moment I finished the review's synopsis section, the first thing I thought was: Seinfeld. While I can always get a laugh out of watching an episode like 'The Contest', though, I don't think LS is for me.

quote]

As for the plot, you are right. Howwever, Azumanga Dioah isn't moe in the least. Maybe one could consider Chiyo moe, but given the fact in the start of the series she is ten, I'd say that is a ungrounded statement.

As for realisim, if you watched the series and paid close attention, the sitution with Chiyo and her skiping five grades is clearly explained. Unless the characters dyed their hair, I've never seen a person will green, blue or pink hair.

As I said in my previous post, I do not mean to cause any disrespect towards anyone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5