• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-05-14

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
I see people don't accept the fact that there is good OEL manga out there. (i.e. MBQ, Aoi House, Megatokyo [If you still care that is],etc)

I read Megatokyo regularly, and I happen to think Aoi House is fairly funny. Both series are a bit wobbly at times, but then again, that has been true of plenty of manga.

I think a lot of the OEL-hate comes from an elitist feeling that the uniqueness of the hobby is being challenged, as well as from a more sensible realization that a lot of things produced for the American market tend to be sanitized and tailored to appeal to a broad but not especially highbrow general U.S. audience (the Wal-Mart segment, I suppose you could say). Both reasons can be valid, but the former is snobbery, whereas the latter is a genuine cause for concern. Any film fan who has seen the butchery that Hollywood can perform on U.S. versions of originally foreign film scripts will know what I mean.

But there is no reason to slather hatred on the entire OEL spectrum. Like any group of writers and artists, they contain a few outstanding talents, and the promise of better times. They just need a winnowing, because of the current demand-fueled tendency to accept even substandard work for publication.

Give it two or three years, maybe five, and we'll be seeing a lot more genuine talent in the field, and maybe a slightly less blatant conformity with Sturgeon's Law.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I didn't find last weeks very funny, but this one definitely makes up for it.

lololololol... Very Happy
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
This is a kind of stupid question, but I wonder why we haven't seen more Mangaka in Japan MOVE to the US and work for Tokyopop or Del Rey directly (together with a translator).

If I recall, most manga-ka in Japan make very little money and have incredibly tough schedules, so I bet that they might be able to make more money if they ex-patrioted themselves to the US.

I don't think that's ever happened, but what if a native Japanese manga-ka moved to the US and started drawing manga designed for US publication first? I wonder if you could call that OEL manga...
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:21 am Reply with quote
My first manga that I've read since I moved the US was Adam Warren's "Dirty Pair" published by Dark Horse. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was one of the first OEL I could get my hands on even before TokyoPop existed. Come to think of it, he drew detailed perspective, even though I didn't favor his line quality.

I really don't care about manga having cutesy cartoony style or serious realistic style. As long as the artist expresses his or her idea in coherent visual manner, then that's what comic book is. Right?

OEL is get snubbed by elitists, but English speaking nations aren't the only ones. I've met Malaysian manga fan who views her native comic book as inferior to Japanese. What I'm hoping from OEL is that more diversification of ideas that Japanese enjoys, instead of revolving around limited scope of sci-fi fantasy and Otaku zone. So prove those elitists wrong by drawing good manga.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:50 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
This is a kind of stupid question, but I wonder why we haven't seen more Mangaka in Japan MOVE to the US and work for Tokyopop or Del Rey directly (together with a translator).

If I recall, most manga-ka in Japan make very little money and have incredibly tough schedules, so I bet that they might be able to make more money if they ex-patrioted themselves to the US.

Kia Asiyama did that, but it didn't work out entirely at the time. Still, there's many japanese artists working for Marvel, Tommy Ohtsuka [Slayers manga artist] has worked primarily for them for the past number of years, and artists like GuriHiru and Exiles' Miyuki Sakibara [I think I'm spelling that wrong though]. Tokyopop has also contracted japanese and korean artists for original series.

But in general, comic companies in the US have always pulled from an international talent pool, using translators [friends of the artists a lot of the times] or artists who speak english, pulling from Canada, numerous European countries like France, Britain, Spain, South American countries like Argentina, and other places with strong comics cultures like Hong Kong and the Philipines. This has been fairly common since the early 80's, and it's something we see a lot of in domestic manga- there's a lot of international artists working on this stuff, which is part of why the term amerimanga has faded from usage.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

I don't think that's ever happened, but what if a native Japanese manga-ka moved to the US and started drawing manga designed for US publication first? I wonder if you could call that OEL manga...

I think CLAMP will be kinda doing that with their "mangettes."

Paploo wrote:

But in general, comic companies in the US have always pulled from an international talent pool, using translators [friends of the artists a lot of the times] or artists who speak english, pulling from Canada, numerous European countries like France, Britain, Spain, South American countries like Argentina, and other places with strong comics cultures like Hong Kong and the Philipines.

As one can see, I like Bleedman's stuffs. Laughing
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

Big eyes, yes. Distinctly Japanese panelling and rendering and all that jazz? I dunno. It's not much different than American Sunday funnies.

But apparently OEL advocates state that the sole determinant of whether something is manga or not is whether the artist declares it as such, so =/

Ahh, I called it OEL, not manga. ANN's definition of manga, which I agree with 100% is "Made in Japan." .period. Of course, by that definition, I don't think that manga is better than OEL, or worse. there's plenty of really bad manga in Japan, and some Japanese publishers will publish pretty much anything.

In my mind, it really doesn't matter if something is American comics, OEL, manga, BD, manhwa, or whatever... It's just a matter of whether or not people like it.

Clearly some people gravitate towards certain styles for numerous reasons. Obviously most people here gravitate towards manga. People who gravitate towards manga should be open to any comic that seeks to reproduce what's good about manga.

The one thing I don't like about these pseudo-manga, is that many of them are created and published for no other reason than to cash in on the popularity of manga. I actually haveno problem with that when it leads to good pseudo-manga, but more often than not, it results in lesser quality manga, because 1) the publishers take whatever they can, and 2) the artists may not necessarily really have a good grasp on what it is that people like about manga.Imyself have a hard enough time putting that into words (although I've done it many, many times).

One of my all-time favorite definitions of manga, one that I don't fully agree with, but think is perfectly appropriate for the purpose that it was created comes from Dallas Middaugh, associate publisher at Del Rey manga.He said, (paraphrase) "What is Manga? From the perspective of a book-store owner, manga is roughly 5"x7", 200 pages, black and white and looks like it might have been made in Japan."

A few OEL's I happen to like enough to buy:

Megatokyo
Dramacon
Dirty Pair
BGC Grand Mal

-t
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
Kyotoblip, man, Kyotoblip. Smile

Yes. That's all I was gonna say. Very Happy

Kyotoblimp flows better, though.
I was thinking "Kyotoplop". Wink
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
but not especially highbrow general U.S. audience (the Wal-Mart segment, I suppose you could say).

I understand what you are trying to say with the whole highbrow lowbrow thing, and I agree with your overall point. But your segment analysis is a little off. I don't know how Wal-Mart subsidiaries are in Europe and the U.K., so maybe from your perspective it makes sense. But in the U.S. you can't really seperate the high/lowbrow line of thought on a basis of whether you shop at Wal-Mart alone. In fact it would be ridiculous to do so. Everyone from the mega-rich to the very poor, from the very extensively well read to the illiterate, from the very classy and elegant to the very vulgar and disgusting. They all shop there. So what you were saying is a very popular stereotypical meme, no doubt through the help of certain segments of the media, however it's not a very accurate one in terms of the U.S.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rocklobster

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:58 am Reply with quote
They can't send a royalty check that small in real life can they? That's just wrong!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
sakurawei

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
i like nina she's soo awesome Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
SinsI

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
2.19$ in royalties from one book sold?
That publisher is unbelievably kind-hearted.
15c would be much more realistic.
Dragoon91786

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Where is the like button when you need it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4