• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerfans!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skaly

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Naturally, just because something is overrated doesn't mean it sucks outright. I really like Naruto, but it took about 100 episodes before I really got into it.

I'm in agreement with complaints for shows like Bleach, where the character learns Impossible Technique X in three hours. I prefer shows like Hikaru no Go and Kaleido Star, where the main character clearly is not the strongest one there is, and proceeds to grow at a more natural pace.

Prince of Tennis lost me pretty much from the beginning. Aside from extremely superficial characterization, the main character was already better than everyone else. Part of the enjoyment is watching the heroes rebound from defeat. Even Pokemon--not the most sophisticated anime out there--did a better job in those regards.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Whoa
I would have to disagree with Spirited Away and Cowboy Bebop.
I thought those shows were one of a kind and had their own atmospehere to it [something rare for an anime to have]

The others I either agree or never watched to know anything about them.But I'm suprised too that Death Note wasn't mention.
Or the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

I've heard some bad complaints about those even though I love both series.

Bleach was actually likable.I like the distinct characters design and sometimes the fights. Though the one arc about spoiler[Rukia's execution got on my nerves.It took FOREVER to reach.]

Naruto and DBZ.....makes me wonder about the majority of the anime fandom.Seriously.
They're so over-cliched.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:
An anime I think is overrated? The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

I was expecting a lot more people to say that though I love haruhi. I am somewhat surprised.

I liked most of the shows mentioned as overrated. I am truly shocked at the Spirited Away comments but overall I don't really quibble with the complaints. They were mostly pretty valid. I even agree with the NGE arguments. The show has always been horribly overrated to me.
silver_omicron wrote:
Everyone who said NGE is one of those "I hated Pokemon because it was popular" type people.

Honestly. The more you talk about it, the more it continues its successful career.

I hated pokemon because it's clearly aimed at very small children and I was already in my late teens or early 20's when it started. There are many popular shows like naruto that I like. I don't begrudge NGE it's success. I just really disliked it. My biggest problem with NGE is that it's a very typical mecha show with a lot of philisophical yapping. I don't like mecha shows to begin with and nothing in NGE changed my mind. It struck me as pretentious, talky and boring. Though I barely remember it so I don't have strong feelings about it one way or another.

Oronae wrote:
In terms of sequel worthy titles, I demand more Kino no Tabi.

I don't think thats a good idea. Kino isn't a continous story so it doesn't really need a sequel. It's so perfect as it is I would be afraid to let someone tamper with it. I would much rather see sequals of stories that were cut off abruptly. Prime examples would be Berserk (when the manga finally ends), Inuyasha(when the manga finally ends), or Kare Kano (whose ending was truly criminal).[/quote]
Oronae

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
I don't think thats a good idea. Kino isn't a continous story so it doesn't really need a sequel. It's so perfect as it is I would be afraid to let someone tamper with it. I would much rather see sequals of stories that were cut off abruptly. Prime examples would be Berserk (when the manga finally ends), Inuyasha(when the manga finally ends), or Kare Kano (whose ending was truly criminal).
[/quote]

Kino has about ten novels worth of source material to adapt and I'd love very much to see more of it animated but you may be right. Though the Life Goes On OVA turned out wonderfully and was exactly what I'd hope for from a continuation. If the much more recent Byouki no Kuni is any indication of what a sequel would be like I never want to see moe Kino again.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:

I don't begrudge NGE it's success. I just really disliked it. My biggest problem with NGE is that it's a very typical mecha show with a lot of philisophical yapping. I don't like mecha shows to begin with and nothing in NGE changed my mind. It struck me as pretentious, talky and boring. Though I barely remember it so I don't have strong feelings about it one way or another.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Eva markedly different from mecha shows prior to it? It's a common observation that shows afterward borrowed heavily from its content.

I feel it's something of a tragedy that people attack things that explore philosophical venues as "pretentious". That's a pretty harsh sentiment especially considering its contemporary circumstances. Isn't accusing something of being overrated just an attack on the people that proclaim so anyway? Why don't people target them?
Fabe

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I would like to see another season of "His and Her Circumstances" I may be a bit out side of the target demography for a shojo but I really enjoyed this one.Too bad it ended at such a inconvenient spot, Oh well, guess I'll have to read the manga to get the full story.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
ok maybe it's just my own bias, but i'm curious: what do people think is "Better" than Cowboy Bebop?

honestly, for me, a lot of things

I just couldn't seem to enjoy it when I watched it (I felt so terribly bored) but I refrain from admitting that very often

sequel:

Full Metal Panic great shpw with as I've heard plenty of material for more sequels
djarch

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Yu Yu Hakusho was the show that turned me on to anime. I felt the ending was a bit abrupt and disappointing, yet different in that spoiler[the main character lost.]

With that said, the second show I watched was Cowboy Bebop - and I feel 100% sure that the show is perfect. I really don't see how it could've been done any better, at that time, with the budget they had.

It's timeless in my book, a show I can watch a few times over. Perhaps I haven't had my ear low enough to the ground to hear the fandom, but everything I've read / heard about it has been well deserved IMHO.
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Calling DBZ "overrated" implies that anime fans generally think more highly of it than they actually do. Aside from its small core fanatical devotees (and you can always ignore those), the vast body of anime fans may acknowledge it fondly but don't think of it as a great or even particularly good series. It only sells so well because of nostalgia value , because it was entertaining when not being infuriating, and because it's one of the most mainstream anime series ever released in the U.S. (I have known many people who watched DBZ in their younger days but never watched any other anime series.)

As for it being typical? Just remember that DBZ established many of the storytelling elements, character archetypes, and gimmicks that have now become standard elements of shonen action series. IOW, it made the cliches the proliferate series like Naruto and Bleach.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
carl33p

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Totally agree with the Spirited Away response.
I tell it like it is. I dont find much of Miyazaki's works to be anything special. Yes, there is a lot of work put into everything he makes. Allusions and other "deeper" meanings can be found all over. It reminds me of a lot books and poems; all the literary devices are present, and it wins awards and whatnot for this reason.

BUT, his story's just arent very intriguing. Which is highly opinionated though.
loka

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
now that you mentioned it mohawk, i believe that Haibane Renmei really does deserve a second season. more-so than my suggestions.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Calling DBZ "overrated" implies that anime fans generally think more highly of it than they actually do. Aside from its small core fanatical devotees (and you can always ignore those), the vast body of anime fans may acknowledge it fondly but don't think of it as a great or even particularly good series. It only sells so well because of nostalgia value , because it was entertaining when not being infuriating, and because it's one of the most mainstream anime series ever released in the U.S. (I have known many people who watched DBZ in their younger days but never watched any other anime series.)

As for it being typical? Just remember that DBZ established many of the storytelling elements, character archetypes, and gimmicks that have now become standard elements of shonen action series. IOW, it made the cliches the proliferate series like Naruto and Bleach.

You got everything I said in a nice neat couple of paragraphs. Laughing
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
MelloHatesNear wrote:
Quote:
Anime World Order wrote:
I now predict that next week's will be a whole lot of people saying Berserk! The problem with making a second series for that of course is that well, there's no good stopping point for THAT either.

It does deserve a sequel longer than the usual 13 or 26. Done right, it could last at least a good 50.

Or they could do like with Hellsing and restart it, following the manga exactly. That's probably the best option.

It's kind of a shame because in my opinion at least, they almost don't need to. I'd say that roughly up to the point where spoiler[Guts leaves the Band of the Hawk] it did an adequate job of adapting the manga. A lot of what was left out right near the end also could still easily be covered in the next season. Thats why its a shame is left out such a big chunk between their spoiler[rescue of Griffith] and the start of the spoiler[eclipse].
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
I hated pokemon because it's clearly aimed at very small children and I was already in my late teens or early 20's when it started. There are many popular shows like naruto that I like. I don't begrudge NGE it's success. I just really disliked it. My biggest problem with NGE is that it's a very typical mecha show with a lot of philisophical yapping. I don't like mecha shows to begin with and nothing in NGE changed my mind. It struck me as pretentious, talky and boring. Though I barely remember it so I don't have strong feelings about it one way or another.

Well, the Pokémon metaphor was just that and really had nothing to do with Pokémon. Cool

But as for NGE:

I disagree. 100%

NGE is the type of bridge that combines typical mediums of entertainment with other under-explored areas of critical thought and philosophy. I would have to take up an issue with the people who found it "boring". (Unintelligible is different). If Philosophy is "boring" to you, you are wasting this little thing I call free will and a thinking mind.

But everyone always tags NGE as a "Mech show with a lot of Psycho-babble." It was so much more than that if you ask me. NGE was practically a living, breathing work of existentialism that captured beautifully the monotony of everyday life.

It also probably doesn't help that I sympathize with Shinji in ways I can't express. (Hell, we share the same birthday). Or Anno, for that matter.

But I just think people don't understand NGE, that's why they write it off. In a lot of respects it's a train wreck, in its construction and in its message, and that's why I love it.
Navak

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
silver_omicron wrote:
But I just think people don't understand NGE, that's why they write it off. In a lot of respects it's a train wreck, in its construction and in its message, and that's why I love it.

A good series is about enjoying the show. However, I can enjoy stuff that is stupid or cliché and still realize that it is stupid or cliché.

I enjoyed NGE, but yes it tapped into existing clichés which perhaps didn't exist much in mech anime but in other mediums. e.g. The downtrodden boy who wants to impress his father and gains great power or even visual items such as the fiery redhead, often a staple in romance plots.

I know discussion is difficult since at this point I tend to tune out people that respond with "well you just don't understand the philosophy of the piece", or "I watched a special about it and read interviews and now it totally makes sense and I wouldn't have it any other way".

I don't think NGE did a very good job, in the last 1/3rd of the series, in presenting and communicating the writers/directors/whomever's vision.

Even if that last third was straightened out, it still wouldn't be deserving of the rabidity oft demonstrated by fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7