• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerfans!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
Navak wrote:
silver_omicron wrote:
But I just think people don't understand NGE, that's why they write it off. In a lot of respects it's a train wreck, in its construction and in its message, and that's why I love it.

A good series is about enjoying the show. However, I can enjoy stuff that is stupid or cliché and still realize that it is stupid or cliché.

I enjoyed NGE, but yes it tapped into existing clichés which perhaps didn't exist much in mech anime but in other mediums. e.g. The downtrodden boy who wants to impress his father and gains great power or even visual items such as the fiery redhead, often a staple in romance plots.

I know discussion is difficult since at this point I tend to tune out people that respond with "well you just don't understand the philosophy of the piece", or "I watched a special about it and read interviews and now it totally makes sense and I wouldn't have it any other way".

I don't think NGE did a very good job, in the last 1/3rd of the series, in presenting and communicating the writers/directors/whomever's vision.

Even if that last third was straightened out, it still wouldn't be deserving of the rabidity oft demonstrated by fans.

The final third of the series is by the far the strongest. Does it really need to have a CLEAR message to be deemed good?

I mean, spoiler[Asuka's mind-rape, Kaji's death, Shinji's own emotional battle, Misato's, even the appearance of Kawaru and his passive attitude to his own death,] I think that, by themselves, these are amazing plot points but, they are delivered in a such a strong way. I can still see vividly in my mind Misato's collapsing down on her desk when she first hears the news and just the voicing that went behind it. Brilliant.

I don't know. Maybe I'm more patient.[/spoiler]
Navak

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
I think it is good, I think it could have been better.

I think in communicating the vision or storytelling the last 1/3rd is the weakest, mainly due to the last couple episodes.

The message itself need not be burdened with the same weakness it communicates.

That is the problem I see with NGE, and to which you even agreed in your previous post which called it a train wreck.

You don't need a train wreck, to communicate a train wreck.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:59 am Reply with quote
My main problem with Eva (and keep in mind that I like the series as a whole) isn't the psychobabble, or crazy out-of-money ending, or even the Christian symbolism that was thrown in for the sake of looking trendy...it's the characters. In a word, they're terrible, almost to a man. They're really not fleshed-out characters so much as they are archetypes of various (and sometimes multiple) psychological disorders. The only real "development" they seem to undergo is either utterly negated by the end of the series or just devolves into a morass of broken psyches. I actually tried to defend some of them, particularly Shinji, the first time I watched the series (which was just a few years ago), but I've come to the realization that I was being rather idiotic. There's no defense there. There's just a sorry excuse for character writing. I realize that Eva was seen as rather groundbreaking in its day (even though it owes a lot to a few older shows as well), but I just don't see how you can claim that it holds up when you look at the series as represented by all its elements.
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
My main problem with Eva (and keep in mind that I like the series as a whole) isn't the psychobabble, or crazy out-of-money ending, or even the Christian symbolism that was thrown in for the sake of looking trendy...it's the characters. In a word, they're terrible, almost to a man. They're really not fleshed-out characters so much as they are archetypes of various (and sometimes multiple) psychological disorders. The only real "development" they seem to undergo is either utterly negated by the end of the series or just devolves into a morass of broken psyches. I actually tried to defend some of them, particularly Shinji, the first time I watched the series (which was just a few years ago), but I've come to the realization that I was being rather idiotic. There's no defense there. There's just a sorry excuse for character writing. I realize that Eva was seen as rather groundbreaking in its day (even though it owes a lot to a few older shows as well), but I just don't see how you can claim that it holds up when you look at the series as represented by all its elements.

Then at this point, maybe it is a matter of opinion because I really do like the characters, and the development. I think the issues the explore, together through their relationships, are some of the most interesting that even regular, living human beings must go through. And to repeat: I absolutely love it.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
silver_omicron wrote:

If Philosophy is "boring" to you, you are wasting this little thing I call free will and a thinking mind.

I am hardly wasting my life because I am not entertained by Philosophy. That was what NGE was suppose to do after all. Entertain me. It failed.

silver_omicron wrote:

But everyone always tags NGE as a "Mech show with a lot of Psycho-babble." It was so much more than that if you ask me. NGE was practically a living, breathing work of existentialism that captured beautifully the monotony of everyday life.

People have various opinions on various animes. We can agree to disagree. I do get annoyed when I mention I don't like NGE and the response is always I am some sort of retard. I was not predisposed to like NGE because I don't like mecha shows anyway. And thats why I have always considered it overrated. It in my mind doesn't move beyond it's genre of anime. If you like mecha shows, NGE will probably be great. If you don't then you probably won't like it.

Fabe wrote:
I would like to see another season of "His and Her Circumstances" I may be a bit out side of the target demography for a shojo but I really enjoyed this one.Too bad it ended at such a inconvenient spot, Oh well, guess I'll have to read the manga to get the full story.

I shared your pain with Kare Kano's end. So much so that it's actually the first manga I ever read. I had to know what happened! Currently the whole series is available in english. I highly recommend it.
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
sabriayahm wrote:
I am hardly wasting my life because I am not entertained by Philosophy. That was what NGE was suppose to do after all. Entertain me. It failed.

The second point and first point are unrelated.

I am speaking about people, in general, who are affronted by philosophy and critical thinking.

Quote:
I do get annoyed when I mention I don't like NGE and the response is always I am some sort of retard.

Well rest assured, I don't believe that was the sentiment here.

Quote:
I was not predisposed to like NGE because I don't like mecha shows anyway.

Then why comment on it to begin with?
Fabe

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:

Fabe wrote:
I would like to see another season of "His and Her Circumstances" I may be a bit out side of the target demography for a shojo but I really enjoyed this one.Too bad it ended at such a inconvenient spot, Oh well, guess I'll have to read the manga to get the full story.

I shared your pain with Kare Kano's end. So much so that it's actually the first manga I ever read. I had to know what happened! Currently the whole series is available in english. I highly recommend it.

My local comic shop has a omnibus containing volumes 1-3,I plan to pick it up on Thusday.
ilkz

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I really liked EVA, but with complex feelings, it has very creative story telling, mecha design, and 'depth' if you prefer. What troubles me are the charterers, not because they are 'fake' or 'archetypes', throughout the series I saw some serious development of their personality and relationships, however, everyone of them are just too hard to be liked for some reason, (yes I know they all looks pretty, but that's not enough reason to love them)I never felt that kind of resistance to appreciate charterers from a series that I like a lot. May be that's was intended. Don;t some of you guys felt the same way?

Its a good idea that producers always take caution on sequels, for it is the most effective way to turn a good show into trash. If you don;t believe it take look at the "head less Naruto frame" in the past issue of Answerman, or 1000x DBZ energy burst, or 3000x Sailor Moon transformation. Of course some of good series deserves it but I would consider a remake of the original.
Fabe

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
ilkz wrote:
I really liked EVA, but with complex feelings, it has very creative story telling, mecha design, and 'depth' if you prefer. What troubles me are the charterers, not because they are 'fake' or 'archetypes', throughout the series I saw some serious development of their personality and relationships, however, everyone of them are just too hard to be liked for some reason, (yes I know they all looks pretty, but that's not enough reason to love them)I never felt that kind of resistance to appreciate charterers from a series that I like a lot. May be that's was intended. Don;t some of you guys felt the same way?

Interesting,I think what was intended is that you at best feel sorry for the characters ,Shinji for example and what their going through and hope things turn out for the best for them in the end.Thats how I see things at least.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
ilkz wrote:

I actually liked the characters more because they were troubled.
I've seen far too many anime characters that are constantly cheerful, chipper, and get over huge, life-changing circumstances as if it were nothing. While I don't dislike these characters, I find them very hard to relate to.
Evangelion, on the other hand, had characters that seemed to actually be affected by the things going on around them, and sometimes could not get over their issues, which I found to be more realistic than the standard "Oh my parents got killed, my girlfriend got kidnapped, and my village burned down, but gosh-darn, it's a beautiful day out today!"
And I've gotta say, my favourite character of all time, is Asuka Langley Soryu, because there's just something about her personality that I see in myself. Misato Katsuragi is a close runner up.
Evangelion for me was never about the robots (though I love Unit 01) and even though the philisophical and religious overtones were cool, for me, the show was always about the characters, and their struggles to be comfortable with themselves, and with the people around them.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
silver_omicron wrote:
sabriayahm wrote:

The second point and first point are unrelated.

I am speaking about people, in general, who are affronted by philosophy and critical thinking.

Excuse my intrusion, but I think this is my overall beef with Eva detractors: a lot of them fall in love with words like "pretentious" and "psychobabble" without even applying them to any real criticism. Maybe that's too much to expect on the internet, but if that's the case people might as well unholster some of the lexicon's finer offerings like "fag" and "douchetard".
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
silver_omicron wrote:

If Philosophy is "boring" to you, you are wasting this little thing I call free will and a thinking mind.

Indeed. This is where it disappointed me. I do have a mild interest in philosophy. This was not what I was looking for it from NGE though. If I wanted something with philosophical and psychological analysis but no actual narrative I think I would just read philosophy. However, I was enjoying NGE primarily for its narrative. Therefore their choice to totally abandon that narrative in favor of psychological evaluation was a big letdown to me.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Indeed. This is where it disappointed me. I do have a mild interest in philosophy. This was not what I was looking for it from NGE though. If I wanted something with philosophical and psychological analysis but no actual narrative I think I would just read philosophy. However, I was enjoying NGE primarily for its narrative. Therefore their choice to totally abandon that narrative in favor of psychological evaluation was a big letdown to me.

Exactly.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
It's not that big a deal, but it's hard to take someone 100% seriously when they say "The most overrated anime series is [a movie].
BRD529 wrote:
Overrated?

Naruto - the cosplayers are past the point of being obnoxious

Anything Cartoon Network is airing - I'm glad you kids like anime, but there are other (better) shows out there for you to get all OCD about.
What does it matter how obnoxious the Naruto cosplayers act? Even if they were the most mature, well-behaved* cosplayers in the world, that still doesn't make a bit of difference when it comes to the actual quality of the Naruto anime series. Repeat after me, series =/= fandom, series =/= fandom. And if "you kids" became OCD over other, better series, wouldn't that make those series overrated as well?

Anyway, my favorite AnswerFans answer had to be the Guyver response, because it was about a show that is not well-known or critically acclaimed, and made a case that a show can be overrated without mass exposure or an obnoxious fanbase.

My vote: Maburaho. Sure, nobody ever said it was a masterpiece or even an excellent show, but even the "fun, sexy guilty pleasure" quality of the show is overrated. It's not fun to watch Kazuki get forced to use his limited magic by increasingly contrived situations, it's not sexy to watch Kazuki to get beaten up for the crime of being sexually aroused by girls who are trying to have his child the old-fashioned way, and it doesn't even rate as a guilty pleasure because it takes itself too seriously and has a crappy, cop-out ending.

*And really, I think a sizable percentage of cosplayers** of anything are obnoxious: "Hmm, I think I'll stand in this 4-foot-wide entryway that dozens/hundreds of people are trying to enter and leave through so I can get my picture taken because I'm an attention whore!"

**No offense to all the dedicated, hard-working cosplayers out there -- I respect the effort that goes into what they do, but I just got back from a con where I suffered from too many incidents like the one I described. I'm just bitter at the young age of 26.
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:16 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

*And really, I think a sizable percentage of cosplayers** of anything are obnoxious: "Hmm, I think I'll stand in this 4-foot-wide entryway that dozens/hundreds of people are trying to enter and leave through so I can get my picture taken because I'm an attention whore!"

You know what's worse than that? Posing for pictures at the top or bottom of an escalator. You know, where people can't just stop and wait for you to complete your pose because the floor is compelling them to move forward?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7