• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Andō Natsu Pastry-Baking Manga Gets Live-Action Drama

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
You've got to be kidding me, a pastry baking drama? What will producers think of next?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
You've got to be kidding me, a pastry baking drama? What will producers think of next?

Cooking and snack-making manga are always the most popular material for live-action adaptations. Here's a bunch collected by S-book; if you look closely enough you'll see another series written by the same author.

UPDATE: While adding this series to the Encyclopedia, I've realized that shokunin manga (manga based on everyday jobs and expertises: chefs, surgeons, flight attendants, salaryman/OL, you name it) is a genre mostly ignored by Western manga readers and (subsequently) most ANN users. However, here in East Asia it's one of the most popular genre among casual adult readers due to 1) minimal hardcore-fan-only elements 2) ease of live-action adaptation 3) recognizable topics and lifestyles.

Last edited by dormcat on Tue May 20, 2008 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:13 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

I actually like anime and movies that deal with food and will go out of my way to watch them. Eat, Drink, Man, Woman (and the Latino version, Tortilla Soup), the German film Mostly Martha, Chocolat, and even the latest Disney Pixar movie, Ratatouille, are all fabulous food-based films. For anime, Yakitate!! Japan is another favorite of mine, which deals with the quest for making the perfect bread for Japan, and I'm really looking forward to the other pastry baking anime, Antique Bakery, which premieres in July.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:36 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Cooking and snack-making manga are always the most popular material for live-action adaptations. Here's a bunch collected by S-book; if you look closely enough you'll see another series written by the same author.

Except I can't read a word of Japanese. But I get your point. I am just a bit surprized is all. I wonder if Japan will ever make a tooth paste or jelly bean drama, anything is possible.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Except I can't read a word of Japanese.

This picture should be fairly easy to identify. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1