• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-05-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
I have a really low attention span and generally judge completely on the first episode. If I'm bored and checking to see how much longer I have to watch, I turn it off and go look at something else. (this also sometimes happens later in the series and if I ever get to this point, I quit because watching anime should be fun, not feel like a chore).

If it's interesting enough, I will watch more and decide...but pretty much all my favourite series have hooked me from the first episode.

The only exception is something that has been strongly recommended to me, in which case I will usually watch the whole thing. But generally the first episode is make or break.
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
U.S. - expensive manga, cheap DVDs
Japan - cheap manga, expensive DVDs

I think the average new manga (graphic novel format) is around 390-400 yen. All the big phone book sized manga anthologies are around 300 yen. And there are all those second hand book stores with manga as low as 100 yen.....one time at one of these stores I saw the first 12 books of Naruto selling for 1200 yen. O_o

I like Questionable Content myself...but it's not anime related. It's usually more snarky and dramatic than actually funny.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
I'm pleased that Zac found some interesting choices to post for this week's Answerfan question. Fooly Cooly could be interesting but it'll never happen and I'd rather it didn't. New Yu-Yu Hakusho would be fun for me, but I'm crazy for shonen, and I think that after so many years it probably wouldn't meet the same reception as before. Finally, yes to Eureka 7 that show was so enjoyable and there certainly is room for one.

As for how many episodes I watch: if it 13 to 26 episodes I'll watch all of it unless it's clearly a piece of garbage right away. If it's longer then I'll watch the first season and go from there.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:54 am Reply with quote
A Princess Tutu continuation? Noooooooooooo!

That was one series where I thought the ending was perfect, where absolutely nothing should be changed. I think a continuation would cheapen it.

A Twelve Kingdoms continuation though is one I'd love to see. Another is The Heroic Legend of Arslan, by the people who did the first OVA (if they're still alive).

And Beck. I'd like to see them take that series through to its conclusion, redoing the last episode and all its stills.

Last edited by sunflower on Fri May 23, 2008 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
loka

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
i need to watch atleast 4-5 episodes to determine if i'll continue watching a show. for the first month of every anime season, i'm usually watching around 20 weekly shows. after that month, i start dropping shows and generally end up with 10 shows i'll follow.

to date, i've dropped about 5% of the shows past the midway point.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:55 am Reply with quote
I knew FMA would be up there, and while it was a thoughtful approach. The general idea is repetitive of what's already happened. Another search? And, the idea of the use of prisoners in the concentration camps, is similar to the experiements of Lab 5, and so forth. On its own, it'd make a fantastic story but while it may serve an interesting purpose in reflrecting the parallel between the worlds, I don't think it'd be a good idea to follow up in such a manner. It'll just be miling the series in my opinion. And, the option of another movie in that case wouldn't work either becase there just wouldn't be enough time to get all that content in there.

It was a good idea thoug but I still believe Fullmetal Alchemist is fine as it is.
Rubyfulcrum

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:58 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
...that there are only about 4 good webcomics in sum total

Those 4 webcomics were definitely interesting. But for almost constant comedy gold, I think it is hard to beat Get Your War On!
...Though it is not updated as often as I would like.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:03 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Funny Zac should bring up LoGH, because though the first few episodes didn't impress me, I found myself full engaged by the sixth episode and never stopped until the 110th, final episode.

It surprised me that both you and Zac agree on LotGH being a slow starter, I thought that was one series that gets you straight into it, if you're going to like it at all - the level of storytelling is pretty consistent throughout.

On sequels - considering how poor the movie was, I'm not sure why people would be wanting more FMA... and I get the distinct impression that anyone who wants more FLCL is kinda missing the point of it.

Since Zac's clearly asking everyone for good webcomic recommendations, I'll throw out that anyone who doesn't appreciate xkcd is a big silly.
I can't actually think of any decent specifically anime-themed ones though... (other than the obvious).
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:07 am Reply with quote
brand wrote:
Ok, what is so different about the Japanese production of DVDs that makes them so much more expensive? I can't imagine producing the physical product being that much more expensive there then it is here in the U.S.

IIRC, Japanese CD and DVD pressings aim for near-zero defects, rather than just sorting out the bad discs.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:13 am Reply with quote
Strongbad speaks truth:

Quote:
DON'T MAKE A WEB COMIC! Why can't you just make a...comic. Everyone knows that putting 'web' in front of words automatically makes them crappier.

Seriously, I can count on one finger the amount of "webcomics" that are consistently funny: ANNina. I'm not just pandering, and yes it is niche, but it's also funny. Others have occasional inspiration, but the majority have me scrambling for the wit and insights of Marmaduke.
ikky

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:54 am Reply with quote
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a bad starter series as the viewer will completely lose interest in anime when they find out they can't find anything half as good.

On the subject of ones attention span, I can never find the time and effort to read webcomics (ones with already 100+ strips in particular) even though I know there are good ones out there.
skyesage

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:59 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna second the love for Dresden Codak and Dinosaur Comics, say that Questionable Content is awful, and that 'Nobody Scores' is hilarious some or most of the time (and the author said he had some manga influence in his artwork!)

I think that xkcd is a bit hit or miss. The map of the internet was hilarious. But a lot of it isn't...

I think the best dramatic webcomic is 'Gunnerkrigg Court' if any one is interested, it isn't anime related but the style of the later chapters would probably appeal to fans of school dramas and stuff.

If you want to make your eyes bleed sadness, read 'Dominic Deegan'. My apologies to Mookie if he's on these boards.
skaly

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:36 am Reply with quote
I'm not as patient with shows as I used to be. I was nearly 100 episodes into Naruto before it finally won me over. It was entertaining, but in that generic sort of way. I think I kept watching because there was very little else to watch. And then spoiler[Naruto fought all-out against Sasuke], and I was hooked.

I watched way more Prince of Tennis than I should have before giving up on it. I think it's safe to say that the show never really captured my interest, but I kept watching because I hoped it would. It was one of those shows where I really wanted to like it. I wanted it to be the Hikaru no Go for tennis. Such a disappointment. On the other hand, it made me want to play tennis, so at least I got that much out of it.

Basically, those shows are the exceptions. I will not normally watch shows that don't appeal to me in some way. If a friend recommends a show, I'll try to watch the whole thing. If I see potential in a show after watching a ho-hum first episode, I'll probably watch the next episode. Sometimes I'll watch a first episode and I'll think "There's nothing here for me," and I will give up on it and never look back (I'm looking at you, Busou Renkin).

Here's an interesting question for fans: Which shows did you initially dislike, but eventually won you over?

(Am I allowed to ask questions? I hope I'm not stealing anybody's shtick.)
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:37 am Reply with quote
As far as webcomics go, www.vgcats.com is mostly hilarious. It mostly is video game spoofs, but it's hilarious nonetheless.
Minky

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:38 am Reply with quote
I admit it, I made an account just to pimp some webcomics I think need more love. =P
(At least now I can actually comment on stuff I find interesting instead of just lurking all the time...)

FanDanGo is a heavily anime-inspired fantasy comic with pretty unique artwork and great characters. (Just read the commentary under today's, the cliche and gratuitous Japanese isn't a usual thing. =P)

Para Ten,
Purgatory Tower, Nadya (read more than just the most recent page), and Dreams in Synergy are all really damn good too, even if they have nothing to do with anime whatsoever. Wolf has fantastic writing, and roastytoasty is quite often funny as hell.

Oh, and seconded to XKCD and Dinosaur Comics. I read 8-Bit Theater too, but only really out of habit. It's a shame, it used to be so good...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7