• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-05-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
This is a response to ikillchicken regarding Blood: The Last Vampire. Are you aware of the Blood+ anime tv series? It's a sequel to the movie...

Actually, Blood+ is a completely separate entity than the movie; Saya's backstory in the series at the time period in which the movie takes place doesn't match it. And if someone enjoyed the movie because of its action and Saya's badassitude, I'd somewhat hesitate to recommend the series. Razz

Top Gun is right, if you want something that actually takes place in the same universe as Blood: The Last Vampire, read the novel series (only one out in the U.S. as far as I know) and the single-volume manga.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
reanimator wrote:
BV USA is doing the same business practice as their Japanese counterpart. Niche titles at limited quantity.

And they just ceased operations. I for one am shocked. SHOCKED, I say. Why, NOBODY could have POSSIBLY seen that coming!

Berserkfury819 wrote:
I would like to see Legend of the Galactic Heroes ever since I heard Daryl Surat talking about it on an episode of AWO because he said fans of literary sci-fi would like it. And I read Sc-Fi more than anything else. However I don't know if I have time considering how long it is.

Fair enough, but your avatar is from Berserk of all things! That manga simply will not stop!

The oft-repeated hesitation among fans to watch LoGH because "it's too long" strikes me as a bunch of hooey. Yes, the show proper is longer than the average show: 110 episodes for the main story. But some of the most popular anime shows in America are obscenely long. People certainly have no problem watching roughly 170 episodes of Inuyasha, about 175 episodes of Bleach, 220 some episodes of Naruto, nearly 300 episodes of Dragon Ball Z, or something like 360 episodes of One Piece. To say nothing of all the movies for each of those!

What is true is that the show is as this column describes: not for those with short attention spans. There's tons of dialogue and there's no dub, so you have to be ready to read every line and comprehend what's going on. It requires you to give it a good bit of attention to get anything out of it, so you can't just put it on as a thing in the background. This is why it's not really a good choice to show at most anime clubs.

Point taken. Now I have to watch. Its summer so I'll have some time when I'm not working. I think I'll start when I finish Black Lagoon (I've got 3 episodes left).
gryn

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Hey all, new to the forums.

I must say I've got a pretty short attention span, so generally I won't give a series much more than one or two episodes before I'm out. On top of being as easily distracted as a ferret, I'm incredibly picky. If the dub is horrendous, or if the subtitles are difficult to read (white with no outline, or too fast) I simply won't watch it.

I try to remember my friends tastes when introducing them, and whole heartedly agree with the post about showing movies as opposed to series to get their feet wet. It's always good to give a newcomer a general idea of the pacing of anime, and introduce them to many of the themes they can come to expect. Then send them off into the wild to fend for themselves.

As far as webcomics go here are a few of my personal faves.

Sluggy Freelance - Ten years of nifty darn comics.
The 10k Commotion - This is drawn in a very sketchy manga-esque way. The story-line is based around Dance Dance Revolution, but you don't really need to be a fan of DDR to enjoy the comic.
Sequential Art - Very well drawn and humorous. Not updated often.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Uh, I've seen the movie/manga and the tv series/manga. And I've seen both animes. The series may not be a sequel per se but it's about the same character and there is mention of Saya's Vietnam story arc in the series.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Uh, I've seen the movie/manga and the tv series/manga. And I've seen both animes. The series may not be a sequel per se but it's about the same character and there is mention of Saya's Vietnam story arc in the series.

If you've seen both, then you know that the Vietnam portion of Saya's life during the series is completely different than what's portrayed in the movie. There's even an episode in the second half of Blood+ that entirely deals with it. spoiler[Red Shield enlists Hagi to wake Saya before her hibernation is complete in order to deal with the chiropterans popping up in Vietnam. She does, but she then goes completely ballistic and returns to her hibernation afterwards. In the movie, she was awake for some time and clearly under the control of the Red Shield agents.] The two are separate entities; I believe the creators have explicitly stated as much.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Sorry rinmackie but Top Gun is right. Blood+ is related but it definitely isn't a sequel. In my opinion it also takes a rather different approach so while it sort of focuses on the same character, it really has very little to do with the Blood movie.

dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

In some ways I think Berserk needs a sequel but in a lot of ways I'm tempted to just say: Read the manga. The anime is a fairly acceptable adaptation. However, it really can't compare to the manga. It also left out a lot of important points near the end. For this reason I think people ought to just look at the anime as an introduction to the manga which is the full version. This is coming from me too, and I normally pretty strongly prefer anime to manga. To me though, this is one of the cases where the manga is such a masterpiece that the anime doesn't really add anything significant to make up for it's downsides.

This is where I disagree most. The anime had a ROCKING soundtrack due to Susumu Hirasawa's involvement. His sound was just so evocative at times, and it carried a distinct mood to it that channeled the right feeling into the Berserk anime. I don't think the voice cast was lacking either. My only real criticism is that the show didn't have enough elbow room to showcase some of the manga's more sickening visuals. Sure the anime was just a big ad for the manga, but you couldn't have seriously watched that show and not wanted more, could you?

Don't get me wrong, I loved the anime as well. It was what made me read the manga. I just feel that the art and mood of the manga are strong enough as it is that it isn't that big of an advantage to watching the anime over the manga. For sure these things are an advantage, but when you factor in the disadvantages of them leaving a few things out I'm at least almost as happy to just read the manga. I'd certainly watch it if they made a second season. I'm just not exactly dying for one.
otakuQT

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Funny no one mentioned 'Fruits Basket'.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I loved the anime as well. It was what made me read the manga. I just feel that the art and mood of the manga are strong enough as it is that it isn't that big of an advantage to watching the anime over the manga. For sure these things are an advantage, but when you factor in the disadvantages of them leaving a few things out I'm at least almost as happy to just read the manga. I'd certainly watch it if they made a second season. I'm just not exactly dying for one.

Not at all, I was paying attention before. My proposition to you was that a reproach to the anime could potentially eclipse the manga if it was a project in the vein of something like Hellsing Ultimate wherein the typical production stops were pulled to do the show as right as they could. Of course that's a tall order! It's an anime pipe dream if there ever was one. And I'm not talking simply about Berserk: Season 2 either, I'm just putting it to you that if Miura had the right resources and there was laborious commencement of work the source material is there to make something really special that doesn't come very often. You can't just throw money at anything and make it good.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:45 am Reply with quote
Delete.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
catanaition

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:53 am Reply with quote
voodoomage wrote:
Ghosthunt needs a second season.... that's my second favorite anime of all time.. and a lot was left hanging

Agreed! If I had gotten to the last column a little earlier I was going to write in about this.

The best part was when the official English site had a giant spoiler about something that never actually is mentioned in the series and is the *big* reveal in the novels. They have since removed it, but still!

Ah well, I guess we'll have to wait for the manga to finish.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:57 am Reply with quote
a second season of berserk would be amazing. twas such a beautifully animated and touching show. guts is a brave soul Anime cry
KZK

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Comics that are based around things like Video Games and Anime, tend to be Lame, and ussually get very stale, very quickly.

As for webcomics I would reccomend, (and none are about either video games or anime), Sluggy Freelance, Errant Story, Schlock Mercenary, Pewfell, or Goats.
Fabe

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Agreed with Zac about the low number of good web comics. The majority of them (more than 99%) are just plain ugly and unfunny and/or poorly written.

I woun't disagree with you on the fact there are probably a lot of bad web comics out there but the person behind the bad web comic blog sounds like he hates all web comics and has no respect for those who make them or read them.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Obviously, Zac has never seen any of Clone Army's comics.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Delete.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7