• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4 Washington Middle Schoolers Disciplined over "Death Note"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
an outlet for frustration from about two years of bullying.

Of course, that's clearly a warning flag if it can be described that way.

As a note, the article said the list included the names of students and a teacher. I'm assuming the expulsion was for whoever put the teacher's name in the book.

Personally, as a teacher, I'd be scared even if I knew it was a small prank. I wouldn't care what else was written in it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Nah, no comment.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
where are they buying these from anyway? Hot Topic i'm guessing?
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote
sometimes I wonder how stupid some people can get it's a [expletive] note book it's not real it has no powers it's just freaking paper, at this rate anti anime finatics will demand a ban on anime and anything related... jk honestly some people are so dense it's just an embarasment
Panda Man

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I could understand this if the kids had a past of violence, but damn, thats a little to far to go. I would have just warned them.

This reminds me of one time this year. I was explaining the Death Note and how it works to a friends. So I wrote his name down, he knew it. But, the next day, his uncle, with the same name dies. But, he didn't die the way I said or at the time. The good thing is he didn't care for his uncle because he was a drunk. But, still, be careful if you do something like this, it has the possibility to get you in trouble if you are unlucky, like me.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
sometimes I wonder how stupid some people can get it's a [expletive] note book it's not real it has no powers it's just freaking paper, at this rate anti anime finatics will demand a ban on anime and anything related... jk honestly some people are so dense it's just an embarasment

...you do realize that making a death threat in and of itself is a crime, right? Regardless of whether or not the person making the threat intends to carry it out? And especially if they're talking about someone like the President?

This has been re-iterated in the discussion thread for every single similar case: the expulsion/suspension has nothing to do with anime specifically. It has everything to do with the fact that the individuals in each case broke the law. It's really staggeringly simple.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:

...you do realize that making a death threat in and of itself is a crime, right? Regardless of whether or not the person making the threat intends to carry it out? And especially if they're talking about someone like the President?

This has been re-iterated in the discussion thread for every single similar case: the expulsion/suspension has nothing to do with anime specifically. It has everything to do with the fact that the individuals in each case broke the law. It's really staggeringly simple.
eheh I miss that when I rush so my appoligies honestly I'm starting to wonder why there are so many idiots like these doing all this crap
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Nah, no comment.

Seconded...

I don't think they sell these at Hot Topic. Not yet, anyway...I haven't even seen Viz advertise it.

Most likely it's available in stores which specializes in Japanese anime merchandise.
stevek504

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote
The government should just gather up all the kids that cause trouble like this and send them to camp for a while. While there, they could teach them how to think correctly and become a benefit to society. Ah, a reeducation camp!

On the flip side, you could say:

The government should just gather up all the kids that cause trouble like this and teach them how to think correctly and become a benefit to society. Ah, a public school.

The statements above are just designed to stir you up and make you think. They do not necessarily represent the thoughts of of anyone living or dead (by Death Note). Personally, I agree with Unholy_Nny. If I was a teacher, and my name was found in a book like that I would want the student gone - for good.

Maybe this is a case for home schooling? Teachers could subcontract to several homes and supplement what the parents were teaching. In the old days (say 16th - 19th century), isn't that the way it was done – A family (rich / noble) would just hire a teacher / tutor for a while? Maybe they were onto something there. The family would be there to handle discipline and the teacher could actually teach.

Seriously, Teachers, Firemen, and Police all need to be paid more because they put up with this kind of stuff all the time.

Anime cry I am getting nostalgic for the "old days". I got to see it evolve from no security (but the paddle). Then a few grade levels later, we had one guard that walked around the school. I thought I entered a war zone the first school I went to that had real police officers stationed in the halls. Now even that is mild. Metal detectors, ID badges, armed officers, K9's, lock downs. What will happen next?

Hah! Does anyone remember being part of the "school saftey patrol"? You got to wear an orange patrol belt and badge!
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Nah, no comment.

Seconded...

Well, one comment:

Animastryfe

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
fullmetal_shorty22 wrote:
I am getting tired of these stupid kids doing things like this. "Death Note" is just a fictional anime series, I wonder what goes through their heads when they write the names in the notebook? Do they actually think the people will die?

They're not being serious. They're joking around.

However, I understand the school's viewpoint. It can be seen as a death threat, and may foreshadow a future school killing that many people are worried about.

v1cious wrote:
where are they buying these from anyway? Hot Topic i'm guessing?

They're everywhere in Asia. I'm pretty sure they can be found in most Anime merchandise shops.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
*pops back up.*

Well. denying a child's education seems like excellent punishment for as stupid stunt...

Maybe I'm slightly ignorant about the issue, but being as "young as stupid as these kids" are, there are enough people in society that aren't educated enough. I've never got expelled, don't know how the school system works, but..

I hope that the kid who was expelled gets an entire lesson on this, and maybe find education elsewhere, whether private tutoring or otherwise.

I'm not disagreeing on disciplinary action and such, but... x.x I think right now it's bad enough as it is in the US right now.
Enjeru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I think the point that people who are saying "all they did was write in a notebook" are missing is this is just usually the first step in something much worse occuring. Situations like this do not desolve without some authority stepping in. Need I remind you about Columbine or Virginia tech? Each of these tragic events that scarred our nation had the same types of warning signs. From journals to video tapes, all of them had a starting point. It is very possible that neither of these events would have taken place if the authorities had access to such things and stepped in.
So in my opinion, the punisment at least fits the crime. A minor slap on the wrist won't do anything. It is a crime to walk up to someone and say you are going to kill them, just as it is to yell "bomb" in an airport. It doesn't matter if it is verbal or if it is written. A threat is a threat. It is the same thing as walking into a bank and saying "this is a robbery" or walking into the same bank and handing the teller a note saying the same thing.
People need to be accountable for their actions. Young or old, that is just common sense. This whole "everybody makes mistakes" attitude is what gets people hurt or killed. If you do something wrong, punishment should follow.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gingy

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I don get why people are taking this whole death threat thing so seriously.
I mean, STUDENTS in both high school and elementary school have been practicing Kung-fu moves and Wrestling moves on each other ALL the time!! And I dont see any media on those issues. In those stunts, people actually get HURT.
Enjeru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Gingy wrote:
I don get why people are taking this whole death threat thing so seriously.
I mean, STUDENTS in both high school and elementary school have been practicing Kung-fu moves and Wrestling moves on each other ALL the time!! And I don't see any media on those issues. In those stunts, people actually get HURT.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/d/death-threat/

"Under state criminal codes, which vary by state, it is an offense to knowingly utter or convey a threat to cause death or bodily harm to any person. "

That is why.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8