• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4 Washington Middle Schoolers Disciplined over "Death Note"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I can see being wary of kids who do this sort of thing, but punishing them is a little ridiculous, unless the school is afraid that somehow the Death Note will become real. It shows just how little progress people have made when they're still afraid of the boogeyman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gingy

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Under state criminal codes, which vary by state, it is an offense to knowingly utter or convey a threat to cause death or bodily harm to any person. "

While beating one another up, strangling each other, etc...is not a crime?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I never though I'd say this but kids today need to spend more time on the internet! If they did then maybe they would hear about one of these previous incidents and realize that this is a stupid thing to do. Even regardless of whether it should be such a big deal, it will obviously get you in big trouble. It was a stupid thing to do the first three times it happened. It was stupid this time as well. It will be stupid the next time it happens and the time after that and the time after that... Rolling Eyes
Enjeru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
yes, beating up, choking, all of that is a crime. Never said it wasn't. What I am saying however, is that any and all crimes should be dealt with seriously. Doesn't matter if it is someone with a record or some kid that didn't get hugged enough as a baby.
What do you think would happen if all they got was the notebook taken away and detention? " Oh golly Principal, you should sure straightened me out." Not likely.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I never though I'd say this but kids today need to spend more time on the internet! If they did then maybe they would hear about one of these previous incidents and realize that this is a stupid thing to do. Even regardless of whether it should be such a big deal, it will obviously get you in big trouble. It was a stupid thing to do the first three times it happened. It was stupid this time as well. It will be stupid the next time it happens and the time after that and the time after that... Rolling Eyes

Maybe they should just have it banned...That would be pretty interesting. >_>; At this rate, I wouldn't mind, really...It would've been different if it was used as a regular notebook, but do you think Viz hasn't personally placed it as merchandise under their license because of the fact that this crap is going on? I say avoiding a potential lawsuit, I suppose...

But then again, that would be odd.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
*sigh*

It's really too bad. As a big Death Note fan I think it'd be fun to have a notebook like that, but with news like this happening every other month and the fact that I actually knew people in my high school that had one and did the same thing (Though they never got caught)...

Has anyone here bought one of those things and actually used it for, you know, notes? I'm just curious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bleuster

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
So, basically, writing names down on a note book titled "Death Note" makes it an automatic threat. Right?

I really don't care. The kids weren't thinking ahead on top of being careless and the school took appropriate actions in at least showing concern for other parents.
I just hope the school and authorities let the kids say what they felt what needed to be said to be understood.
The expelled kid is probably better off home-schooled or some suitable learning environment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
*rols eyes yet again*

Dear God Save me from the people in charge of EDUCATING our youth.

cookie cutter children- for those of you afraid of having a child with imagination...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
As I said in previous threads, the day the notebooks actually does the jobs is the day I'll give a piss. Till then, its a waste of time.

People need to stop living in fear of everything- just because one thing happens doesn't mean its automatically leading to the worst event possible. I will say the only stupid thing about this case was them leaving the book behinnd, they should have figured someone was going to freak out about based on "previous" school crimes.

I have to wonder if they had only written celeb names down, would they have taken it seriously?

At least they had the mind power to realize the book doesn't work. Though why one expeled and the others suspended?

....thee kids do get some props though, if only for the idea of writing down GW. Too bad it didn't work. Confused

Last edited by britannicamoore on Sat May 24, 2008 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
stararnold

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Those students should understand not to treat fictional books as a message for real life. After all, there's a difference between fiction and the real world, and Light Yagami from "Death Note" has ethics codes diffferent what we expect from real life. So, don't blame the manga, blame the readers because they're the ones misintrepreting the moral message of the manga when the message is that murder can lead to complications. If the auhtor of "Death Note" was to hear about this, he'd be pretty mad at the readers right now.

I can see why "Death Note" had to be shown on Adult Swim instead of Toonami (amen to that).
Enjeru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
The day kids stop bringing guns into the schools and shooting them up is the day "a simple notebook" will not be an issue. Until then, judge the little punks.
Do you all honestly wait to spray a wasp nest until you get stung? Or do you deal with it before it becomes an issue?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
An extreme reaction, yes, but nonetheless I support the school administration's decision to take their actions seriously. There is too much precedent of things like this leading to violence to let it slide. Those kids should know better than to pull pranks like that in this day and age. Or at the very least, bring the notebook to school where someone can find it.
bakaShin

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
i guess they didn't bother to finishing reading the manga or learn from lights mistake.

i wished kids imitated more wholesome things. what about a host club instead or a movie club.
Triple_Dude

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
bakaShin wrote:
i guess they didn't bother to finishing reading the manga or learn from lights mistake.

i wished kids imitated more wholesome things. what about a host club instead or a movie club.
Or an anime club Laughing.
Toshirodragon wrote:
cookie cutter children- for those of you afraid of having a child with imagination...
Or rather, children with a mind of their own Wink.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote

I really, really feel like beating my head on my desk.

No, not really...

I want to beat the 4 idiots.

What a bunch of morons. Like others have said they 1) are not old/mature enough to understand the point of Death Note and 2) they don't understand the difference between right and wrong...and at the age they are...that's very, very scary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8