• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4 Washington Middle Schoolers Disciplined over "Death Note"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:
Those students should understand not to treat fictional books as a message for real life. After all, there's a difference between fiction and the real world, and Light Yagami from "Death Note" has ethics codes diffferent what we expect from real life. So, don't blame the manga, blame the readers ....

shouldn't you tell that to the school too? a note book can't kill people. I don't know those students, but i have reason to believe
that they were just doing it for fun and No harm intended because they wrote President George W. Bush, Paris Hilton, and other celebrities' name on the Note book. lol

a memo to Student, Light doesn't bring the Death Note to school.

Don't be surprise that one day a school will run into trouble(like a Lawsuit) by disciplined the Death Note student, but not the people who bullied the Death Note student.
Quote:

"A father of one student who was suspended for three days said that the book was an outlet for frustration from about two years of bullying."

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Sun May 25, 2008 12:05 am; edited 3 times in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure the school is well aware that a notebook doesn't kill people. But if you look at past school massacres, nearly every instance consists of some kind of threat on paper or online, a list, a plan or something to indicate the desire to do what they ended up doing. Honestly, the school would be irresponsible if they didn't act, considering the age we live in and the striking similarities between what was found here, and what was found after the fact in school slayings.

It's an unfortunate byproduct of modern society, but unfortunately it's not that ridiculous that they would be punished for this. Instead of being angry at the school, you should be upset at a society that had evolved to the point this kind of action is even necessary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rail2k4

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
I can just imagine the fear going through the minds of whoever found those Death Note's though if they had no clue what the anime / manga was.

To someone without the prior knowledge of Death Note they would think it was a death threat maybe just a prototype list of who they would kill. That would scare me to death if my name was in that and I didn't know it was just a thing picked up from a television show or book.
Plus it would be a good cover to actually have a hit list in a death note so people think its a joke when its not...

It looks even worse if all they wrote in the book was names of people to die and no school notes. Did they say if thats all was in the notebooks?

lol well we have a lot of idiot children these days. Though thats what it means to be young, making plenty of mistakes.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I'm sure the school is well aware that a notebook doesn't kill people. But if you look at past school massacres, nearly every instance consists of some kind of threat on paper or online, a list, a plan or something to indicate the desire to do what they ended up doing. Honestly, the school would be irresponsible if they didn't act, considering the age we live in and the striking similarities between what was found here, and what was found after the fact in school slayings.

It's an unfortunate byproduct of modern society, but unfortunately it's not that ridiculous that they would be punished for this. Instead of being angry at the school, you should be upset at a society that had evolved to the point this kind of action is even necessary.

If they're really concerned, they should reccomend counseling for these kids, not punish them. These kids need support, not punishment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
Sounds like a whole lot of nothing... I remember one time that due to bullying my friend and I made our own funny little 'choose your adventure' novel using the students name that involved him getting into embarrasing situations or some that end up with his cartoon death. It got found by someone and minutes later my parents are called in and I'm made to see a counsellor... And this was in days before Death notes and George W Bush and Paris hilton. It was a one time thing that was done to pass time and forgotten about until someone found it. So this is nothing new and I can understand the precautions but unless more details are involved it seems like quite a big penalty to expell or suspend students over this. Sure some kind of investigation and discipline is fine but off handedly this sounds like quite an extreme measure.

It's a freaking book called a Death note based on an anime they've more than likely seen and they screwed around with it. It was probably all done only once in the span of 15 mins just to kill time and have a laugh. If they kept on writing shit in there on every page every day then maybe that's a real cause for concern and counseling. And schools have a right to ban it before any unnecessary incidents crop up. But at the end of the day, these same kids that might've otherwise turned out aright will now be more frustrated and bullied further. Even after the incident I experienced nothing at all changed... typical bullying continued until eventually everyone grew up and can all now look back at how stupid we behaved to each other.

Of course this is all assuming that there's not much else to this story... but I find their treatment harsh.
bleuster

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

Hmm... sorry, I don't quite agree, but I see your point.

If society is really to blame for these actions, it's not helping these kids in the first place. Pushing them away and making them someone else's burden is what alienate these kids. I understand being precocious and the school did good in taking this as seriously as it should, but if anything escalated to something fatal, then I'd believe someone wasn't doing their job, and it's not just picking up a piece of paper from the ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:55 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I'm sure the school is well aware that a notebook doesn't kill people. But if you look at past school massacres, nearly every instance consists of some kind of threat on paper or online, a list, a plan or something to indicate the desire to do what they ended up doing.

If you look at past school massacres, nearly every instance was committed by young males, so we should lock all young males up before they commit any crime.

Oops, sorry, that's a bit overboard.

How about "if you look at past school massacres, nearly every instance had guns involved. Let's dissolve NRA and have a gun control." In fact I'm sure that many people, including relatives of victims of past massacres for sure, would support this with both arms raised, but their voices are just too insignificant compared with arms companies and their lobbyists.

Or maybe a bullet control would be more viable.

Keonyn wrote:
Honestly, the school would be irresponsible if they didn't act, considering the age we live in and the striking similarities between what was found here, and what was found after the fact in school slayings.

"Would be seen as irresponsible" would be more accurate, and I'd say this is the real motive behind such disciplinary action. School boards just want to tell parents "hey look we are doing something to prevent massacres so your tax money are not wasted." In short, they just wanted to dodge responsibilities, just in case something bad happens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
Rail2k4 wrote:
I can just imagine the fear going through the minds of whoever found those Death Note's though if they had no clue what the anime / manga was.

The argument I really don't get in these repeated threads is that "it'd be no big deal if they knew what it meant." I watch the show on a weekly basis myself, but I'd be ****ing scared if I found out my name had wound up in one of these morons' books, and I'd want them out of my school ASAP, if not sooner. It makes not one difference at all if the object is (obviously) fake, or if it's a reference to a certain piece of entertainment. Just think about the thought processes (if there were any) going through the mind of the person who wrote the names. They're writing down your name in a book whose sole fictional purpose is to cause the death of those listed in it. This would imply that, even though the perpetrators know the object is fake, they honestly desire your death. That's what we call a death threat, which, as both myself and others have pointed out multiple times, is illegal, no matter if the person has the means to carry out the threat. If you're twisted or stupid enough to break the law, you deal with the consequences, which in this case are suspension/expulsion.
Sir Hamilton

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:04 am Reply with quote
A kid at my school almost got screwed over with his death note. It's stupid to write in a death note and bring it to school but its obviously not serious.
bleuster

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I watch the show on a weekly basis myself, but I'd be ****ing scared if I found out my name had wound up in one of these morons' books, and I'd want them out of my school ASAP, if not sooner.

Call me crazy, but I'd actually want to confront the person and know why I was on that list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:42 am Reply with quote
ooooh i want a death note book now!! last time i looked all i could find were ones in chinese :(((
heyyobyme

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:42 am Reply with quote
This is completely ridiculous. Our information is limited, so perhaps other factors were at play with the expulsion. However.

Anyone who takes this "death note" as a serious threat, based only on the info we're given here, is a little bit out of touch with reality. Allow me to explain to you how this Death Note came into existence.

Step 1: Kid watches Death Note, and enjoys it. Rightfully so.
Step 2: Kid buys Death Note merchandise, because kids love merchandise.
Step 3: Kid shows his new "Death Note" to his friends who also saw the show, probably during lunch.
Step 4: Kids write a silly list of names, including classmates and celebrities, for the sake of a laugh.
Step 5: ????
Step 6: Profit! Oh, no, wait.

You see, the problem with the logic some people have been presenting, is that there was no "death threat" whatsoever. Yes, the perpetrators know the object is fake, you got that part right. But no, they do NOT honestly want you dead. How many times do you think the words "I'll kill you" are muttered in every school in North America, daily? How many of the kids who say this actually murder their friends? Shockingly few, no?

There was NO death threat. These kids don't need punishment, nor do they need counseling. These kids are just fine. They're kids. They were being silly, and pretending. Emulating a cool T.V. show, in a harmless manner. They no more intended or wanted to harm anyone than I did when I pretended to fire a Kamehameha at my friends when I was 10.

The real problem lies with the adults involved. And society at large. Due to several school shootings in recent years, everyone's become all uptight about everything. Apparently, kids are just itching to murder each other in the hallways, and the only way to stop this is to throw them out of school at 12 years old. Disregard the fact that most school shootings were perpetrated by young people with serious psychological issues, and perpetrated with firearms, not notebooks.

Good lord. Loosen up people. Let kids be kids. Silly adults. You're not protecting anyone. You're only sapping the fun out of kids' school years.
loka

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:38 am Reply with quote
perhaps if the kids put a disclaimer in their deathnote...

or

write on the first page: "this is a list of my favorite people Smile "

i dont think that would change anything by the rules of deathnote, so the kids would still be free to make believe.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:55 am Reply with quote
heyyobyme wrote:
This is completely ridiculous. Our information is limited, so perhaps other factors were at play with the expulsion. However.

Good lord. Loosen up people. Let kids be kids. Silly adults. You're not protecting anyone. You're only sapping the fun out of kids' school years.

Very Happy Obviously, someone has not been paying attention to what has been happening in American schools over the past decade.

I mean, the last time that something like "its just angry kids yelling" came to pass, multiple people at Columbine died when a couple of kids whom "nobody took seriously" followed through with their "not-serious" threats and killed multiple people.
Wake up you ignorrant masses!!!
Yes, you can prevent mass murders if you actually check on what the rest of the student body thinks and/or see if the other students' in their school time with said student give you a creepy vibe. Believe it or not Surprised

If prank-calling 9-11 can land you in jail (which it can), then why not saying "I wish these people were dead" which is said whenever some idiot kid writes a name in her idiotic Death-Note book. Do not ask me to ever take sympathy on any of these dumbasses... I laugh at all of them... Very Happy

I'm sure that rarely anybody will beleive me... those poor innocently sheltered people... Rolling Eyes
Pretty_Kitty84

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:07 am Reply with quote
Kids were writing so called "death threats" in notebooks long before this show was even thought of. (Long before school mascaras became a widespread thing in America as well.) Sorry to say this but if a kid really was going to go on a school wide shooting spree I'm pretty sure it would start at home and end at school. Just picking up a few notebook papers with some names written on it is not going to be the end of the issue. So just assuming every kid who does this must have some hideous plot behind it is just asking for trouble.

How about we start concentrating on the kids who ARE doing the real bullying? The ones who are interrupting learning in the classroom? The ones who harass your kid (and sometimes the teachers themselves) everyday for no apparent reason. I think if school officials spent more time punishing those who deserve punishment and less time being on the look out for lists they would have a better handle on their schools in general.

There were more warnings about Columbine then just a list of names. The list of names was the ending point. What about stopping it before the thought festers into a list of names? I doubt sending kids home for an early holiday (cause that's all suspending really is with children these days.) will solve every issue America has with mass school murdering.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8