• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Says Yotsuba&!, Other Manga Are Still Coming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I do enjoy Yotsuba, partially due to the manga and the author. Maybe this will mean a Yotsuba anime adaptation in the near future perhaps?

All Adv needs to is license the third season of Ah My Goddess, should one exist however.

It depends. Anime adaptation depends on popularity and length of the manga in Japan.

Quite true. Recently I just finished season two and was quite impressed. But truth be told, I am not sure if a third season exists. Popularity and amount of viewers determine all this though.

There's no third season but there is the recent 2-episode Fighting Wings TV special (and case you're wondering, it specifically addresses if there'll be a third season). ADV really needs to go after some Gonzo titles and other recent titles and not more AMG if they want to stay competitive...
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear they're trying. It'll be nice reading some new Cromartie manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I'd heard from a reliable source that ADVs manga dept was essentially dead, so this is good news.. if anything actually does eventually reach stores at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
icepick:
Quote:
now can we officially kill Evangelion movie???

Only if Robotech, Watchmen, and Transformers 2 bomb.

Conan:
Quote:
This bit of PR was purely to avoid more of thier manga line geting picked up by companies who actualy know what the hell They are playing at.

They technically can't control their manga getting picked up by other companies, unless they renew said licenses. I think it's more about them trying to debunk rumour-mongering otaku.

Quote:
More manga soon? Yeah, I'm also sure Sgt. Frog is done and ready to air on Toonami alongside mermaid melody.

Mermaid Melody was never confirmed as being owned by them, and they didn't say how much of Sgt. Frog they picked up, either.
Nor did they say how they were going to handle Sgt. Frog.

prime:
Quote:
They say they're focusing more on anime now, but has anyone heard anything new recently announced from them?

No, but so what? FUNimation and Viz licensed a ton of titles they still haven't released yet.

Seriously, why are people so nice to a lame company like Geneon, but they keep beating up on a true fan company like ADV?
bleuster

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
icepick:
Quote:
now can we officially kill Evangelion movie???

Only if Robotech, Watchmen, and Transformers 2 bomb.

I would say if Akira and GitS bomb instead, since that's seem likely what the media is going to lump it with if an Eva film will ever be seriously considered to move into production.

Even then, there's a lot to consider.

btw, I don't read many series that ADV published in the first place, but have you seen Yotsuba's Vol. 3 that they did?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
if they think their anime wing is more important, then get out of the manga business and quit disrespecting manga readers with their crappy release schedules! I do like their anime dvds but they have straight up idiots running their manga division. I dont even remember the storylines of their manga because there is such a long delay between each volume. thats the reason why I only read Yotsuba regularly. There is no storyline.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad they'll be starting back up again soon. Even "in the near future" is a great sign to me.

Now if only they'd finish up Desert Coral I'd be in heaven. *hopeful* Anime hyper
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
bleuster: You might be right about Akira, but GITS might have a chance , if "I, Robot" and "A Scanner Darkly" made money.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
They technically can't control their manga getting picked up by other companies, unless they renew said licenses. I think it's more about them trying to debunk rumour-mongering otaku.

So debunking rumor-mongering otaku involves lying to fans by saying a few cons back that Yotsuba&! volume six is ALREADY OUT?

Quote:
No, but so what? FUNimation and Viz licensed a ton of titles they still haven't released yet.

Problem is that ADV doesn't really have any new licenses to gloat about. I mean, what, after autumn starts they have... that one shounen show (Kiba?) and Sgt. Frog (and that's only if they haven't lost it and secured a deal)?

Granted, they likely have some announcements in the upcoming months, but that doesn't exactly boast confidence for some of their consumer base.

Quote:
Seriously, why are people so nice to a lame company like Geneon, but they keep beating up on a true fan company like ADV?

Explain to me how Geneon is "lame" (without ragging on their moe shows. Yes, I don't like them either, but their variety in the catalogue offsets that potential inbalance) and ADV is a "true fan company"?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Hellkorn:
Quote:
So debunking rumor-mongering otaku involves lying to fans by saying a few cons back that Yotsuba&! volume six is ALREADY OUT?

Rumour-mongering fans tend to be the liars... (See Cowboy Bebop 2. Rolling Eyes ) Anyway, I imagine that they mixed it up for a previous volume.

Quote:
Explain to me how Geneon is "lame" (without ragging on their moe shows. Yes, I don't like them either, but their variety in the catalogue offsets that potential inbalance) and ADV is a "true fan company"?

Geneon liked to stone-wall, when dealing with fan complaints. And they took forever to get with the program and sell their shows at good prices.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:20 pm Reply with quote
So, in retrospective, Oarr's comments were basically bullshit, huh?
DarkAffinityx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if the Manga volumes for Steel Angel Kurumi #10 & 11 will ever be released in English? I recently watched the anime and fell in love with the characters in the anime so I decided to try out the manga. The manga is a whole lot better but I noticed that there are only 9 volumes that were translated out of the 11 total. Is ADV ever going to release those? I feel like my collection is incomplete without them :/ Oh and does anyone have a suggestion towards another anime/manga series? I really enjoyed Steel Angel Kurumi and Soul Eater was really good too. If you have any suggestions please let me know ^^ I'm still new to this anime/manga scene lol so forgive my arrogance ^^;
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
ADV manga is dead, buried and slowly decomposing.
The only way you'll see more volumes of any of their titles is if someone like Yen Press rescues them as happened with Yotuba&! and if or when that happens there will be a news article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DarkAffinityx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
I really hope that someone picks up the company, I want to be able to get the ending to the manga series of Steel Angel Kurumi :/ I have all volumes 1-9 and it really sucks not being able to have closure with the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3