• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Clarifies Statements on DVDs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
Oh, that's cool. I'm glad to hear the uncut episode six of Gurren Lagann will be on the subbed release. I found the random recap in the beginning kind of annoying. XP
joshuafer

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how they are going to put both versions of episode 6 on a DVD, I wonder if one will be an extra or what. I have not heard much about Ghost Slayers Ayashi, I wonder if it has much action and stuff, hopefully will see some trailers soon. I also hope they plan on putting an english dub on my otome zwei.

Last edited by joshuafer on Sat May 31, 2008 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
joshuafer wrote:
I wonder how they are going to put both versions of episode 6 on a DVD, I wonder if one will be an extra or what. I jave not heard much about Ghost Slayers Ayashi, I wonder if it has much action and stuff, hopefully will see some trailers soon. I also hope they plan on putting an english dub on my otome zwei.

According to this post by one of Bandai's producers, it'll be dual audio just like the TV series (DD 5.1 for both languages to be exact). The LE extras will be a T-shirt and pencil boards. Maybe ANN should edit that info into the article.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Sweet deal on Gurren. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Just how different are the two versions of episode six of Gurren Lagann anyway? Are we talking different content or minor changes here?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Content changes.

Ep. 6 is the fanservice episode and takes place at a hot spring. Ep.6 aired cut on TV and was made into a recap episode but got its original release on DVD. The TV version of ep. 6 was good actually.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow.

*sees himself buying a lot of stuff in the coming months, including Rocket Girls.*
melonbread

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
No mention of the Ayakashi Ayashi release with the manga for $75 (?) then?

Seems either ANN or Bandai, or both, missed out/messed up information...

EDIT: Also, this makes it look like Bandai had previously been planning 1 episode a volume for Mai Otome Zwei. Though in reality it was probably just that Bandai representitive not reading the report thoroughly.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Really glad to hear about the Otome DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Why license Terra, if you're not gonna dub it? Maybe the manga didn't so especially well? Anyway, ask about Silent Mobius movies already, ANN. (And those "Is it anamorphic?" people at AOD can help, too...)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they realize that dubbing EVERYTHING might end up being a bit of a waste of money. I'd say dub anything with a bigger fanbase, but smaller shows don't necessitate it.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
y is bandai getting lazy only subing most of there dvd
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
y is bandai getting lazy only subing most of there dvd

merging the concept of BV releasing titles with less appeal sub only with the cheaper BE pricing?
Brians9824

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Is there a release date for Zwei yet?
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonder just how packed the sub/dub Gurren Lagann will be. It seems as though Bandai actually understands that there are two types of fans and I like the idea of them marketing a bare bones 9 episodes for $30 along with an eventual otaku mega release.

Considering that BE have their forthcoming LE versions of the 90 minute Lucky Star and Seed Destiny movies (I think it only includes a box as extra) listed at $50 MSRP I wouldn't be surprised if the 225 minute (plus bonus episode) LE Gurren Lagann will go for more. I really hope that BE will go all out with the ultra premium edition and include a decent sized book and a ton of extras like BVUSA's Patlabor releases.

Keep in mind that BVUSA's sales proved that there are some fans out there who are not concerned with price.
Quote:
During the accounting period that ended last December, it sold US$1.151 million worth of goods

This was only 2/3 of what they needed to break even which proved that there are not enough insane otaku to support this model on their own.

I think BE is doing the smart thing with these dual version releases, especially since really insane otaku will even buy both editions, yet a bare bones edition is also accessible to the casual fan. Knowing BE's ability to fill every market niche I wouldn't even be surprised if they release a standard sub/dub edition along with a LE sub/dub edition when the series eventually gets a dub release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2