• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Offers English-Subbed Slam Dunk, North Star

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crawly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:
And from what I know the shows are being subtitled by "The Kitchen", which is apparently the only translation facility that's gotten an Emmy so they must be good. Toei Animation wants to make these shows as good as they can without spending a lot of money so they want fan feedback, that's why they have a MySpace page on their OnDemand main site.

Awards don't necessarily equal the best available or even good. See the Oscar for best animated movie as an example. Actually, from what I've heard the only reason Toei used them is because they came cheap.

I also think it's pretty silly to say Toei wants these to be the best they can be. Quality isn't an issue for them. They'll only put out as much effort as it takes to get people to buy. Which is fine, but don't confuse their efforts to make a sale with them having any concern over what R1 thinks of the quality of their products. They just want your money, and they'll happily give you a product that's worse than most modern fansubs in return, throwing in lots of DRM as a bonus.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:00 am Reply with quote
I made single screenshot comparison between Toei's release and one that's from the Japanese R2 dvds.

It's not completely fair, since it's not exactly the same frame, etc, but I don't think I need to tell you which one is which Smile.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1278/slamdunkcomparisonek7.png
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:16 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
It's not completely fair, since it's not exactly the same frame, etc, but I don't think I need to tell you which one is which Smile

My goodness, that lower image looks really awful! Thank you for posting these side by side images.

I hope that Toei gets around to releasing these on DVD, even if they need to do something like a limited print on demand (like IATV) or big collection like Animeigo's Yawara since this simply won't do.
Serge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
I made single screenshot comparison between Toei's release and one that's from the Japanese R2 dvds.

It's not completely fair, since it's not exactly the same frame, etc, but I don't think I need to tell you which one is which Smile.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1278/slamdunkcomparisonek7.png

Holy Sh!t, why does Toei always do this, release the best stuff in the lower quality form when it comes to the US, (Sailor Moon)?
firecrouch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone have any shots of what Toei anime looks like on the BBService, the Toei Animation download channel in Japan?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:
Does anyone have any shots of what Toei anime looks like on the BBService, the Toei Animation download channel in Japan?

Actually, I went and got that myself to see if there was any difference, and unfortunately, no.

The encode was basically the same quality as the one they are offering on direct2drive. Except with no subs.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
I was considering downloading a copy FONS the other day just to see what it's like. Now that I what the quality is like, I had a change of heart and decided not to drop the 1.99 for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3