• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guys who watch "girly" anime...

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgreller87

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Is there anything wrong with a guy who is into anime meant for a female audience?

I'll admit here that I watch anime like Cardcaptor Sakura, Full Moon wo Sagashite, and Petite Princess Yucie partially for the cuteness factor. There are some great shoujo stuff out there, and I've pretty much gotten used to the fluff in order to enjoy them.

(Though, it's kind of hard to ward off the stares I get when I buy such titles in the stores) Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Garedeas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I read Absolute Boyfriend manga and it is one of the best titles I have read.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
mgreller87 wrote:
Is there anything wrong with a guy who is into anime meant for a female audience?

No, there isn't. I watch and read plenty of stuff aimed at girls. I'm hardly alone and plenty of girls watch stuff at guys. There's nothing wrong with either of them.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
So you don't feel alone, here's a whole bunch of guys who read "girly" manga, too...

I'm sure a lot of them also watch shoujo anime.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
No, nothing wrong. You should watch anime based on what you like, not on who its target audience is supposed to be. I love Cardcaptor Sakura, and lately I've been watching Shugo Chara! (I highly recommend watching if you like magical girl anime, it's one of the best I've seen).
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I remember a thread about this on ANN a while ago. Haven't seen it on the front page lately.

I personally love Fruits Basket. It's one of my favorites. His and Her Circumstances is also one of my favorites, despite it's flaws. There's nothing wrong with a male liking female oriented shows. Same thing with a girl liking stuff aimed at boys like Naruto.

We'll probably see about 2 more pages that contain different variations of "yes it is ok because......" now. Not that I mind.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm a guy and definitely enjoy quite a bit of romance anime personally whether they're aimed at guys or girls. I've been known to watch and like a few specifically shoujo anime as well, currently liking Vampire Knight. I also own Fruits Basket and His and Her Circumstances. I'm usually turned off by the magical girl genre though and avoid that like the plauge.
mgreller87

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
We'll probably see about 2 more pages that contain different variations of "yes it is ok because......" now. Not that I mind.

I guess I was mostly curious to know what the consensus was on this forum regarding the topic at hand. I wasn't too sure how many male fans here actually watch shojo anime, much less the people outside of the net. Out of the handful of anime fans I know in real life, only I seem to be the only one who actively watches lighter, girly anime (while the rest pretty much fall into a show's target demographic). My younger male cousins have actually enjoyed Sailor Moon, but fail to consider any other shojo titles.

Quote:
I love Cardcaptor Sakura, and lately I've been watching Shugo Chara! (I highly recommend watching if you like magical girl anime, it's one of the best I've seen).

Haven't seen it, but I've heard some good things on the net about Shugo Chara!, aside from the fact that it's a cute magical girl show. Originally I got a slight "Pretty Cure" vibe when I first heard about it, but Shugo Chara seems to be quite different from that series.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I think you'll find that there are quite a few guys out there who regularly watch shojo anime. Heck, I have a friend whose primary interest is magical girl series, and I am personally a big fan of Princess Tutu (and I know I'm not alone amongst male fans in these forums on that point). Although I generally don't care much for a lot of shojo-specific style points, that and not being in the primary target audience has never before stopped me from following (and enjoying) a shojo series that looked interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
mgreller87 wrote:

Yes, it is VERY wrong and inappropriate! Honestly, what would Kamina say! You should be out there piercing the heavens with your drill ... OR SOMETHING. Razz

(omg Shugo Chara is the only thing that makes my weekly anime viewing complete)
Pork Cracklins

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Heck no nothin' wrong with that. Why limit yourself to one type of story or another. Im as much a sucker for gratuitous violence as I am for heart warming romance.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
There's nothing at all wrong with it...although I'd personally fall much more on the Kamina side of the viewing spectrum myself. Razz
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Only the manliest man can read girly anime without shame.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
* grunt, snort *

Why, pilgrim, 'round these hyar parts, we ain't got ourselves no highfalutin' ideas 'bout what's right fer a real man ta do. A real man can read whatever the Sam Hill he wants to, and there ain't nobody gonna tell him dif'rent.

Naow, if'n ya wants ta wear a frilly gingham dress while readin' them there sho-joe mangies, that there is a diff'rent thing entire-like. Then I might allow as how it'd be sissified.

*grunt, snort, SPIT! *

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
* grunt, snort *

Why, pilgrim, 'round these hyar parts, we ain't got ourselves no highfalutin' ideas 'bout what's right fer a real man ta do. A real man can read whatever the Sam Hill he wants to, and there ain't nobody gonna tell him dif'rent.

Naow, if'n ya wants ta wear a frilly gingham dress while readin' them there sho-joe mangies, that there is a diff'rent thing entire-like. Then I might allow as how it'd be sissified.

*grunt, snort, SPIT! *

- abunai

This is a beautiful post. It creates the perfect image, but because Abunai is the one who wrote it my brain imploded.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13