• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodomo no Jikan (Nymphet) Appears in U.S. Newspaper Ads

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
So my question is: Was the choice of an image from Nymphet by design, or was it just a randomly chosen image that just happened to come from a controversial show?
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
A father and his children watching Kodomo no Jikan... quality family bonding time, right there.

O_O.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
Probably should be thankful that no one there picked up on that or did research on the image, as I can only imagine the crapstorm that would have followed...

On another note, if the parental control was that "good", then that's definitely one failed product...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
this seems to have passed over just as quietly as the manga probably would have. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
Well, we all learned something about Oregon today Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
Wait, so does that mean it's coming back?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:38 am Reply with quote
So it was on the paper ad... the guy who made this "simulated screen" either just grab whatever picture on hand or created a sneaky prank.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
So it was on the paper ad... the guy who made this "simulated screen" either just grab whatever picture on hand or created a sneaky prank.

Yeah. I would guess whoever was the overall ad designer thought it'd be funny to stick the KnJ image over whatever was originally on the screen, and no one else caught it before it went to print. Quite funny, really. Primetime family shows at their best. Right up there with CSI, Shield and TBS's run of Sex and the City. Wink
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:17 am Reply with quote
Can't help but also think that this was done intentionally as an inside joke. And is it me or does the image look like something from the '80s? Beige shag carpet and a console TV, do they even make those anymore?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote
The irony is hilarious.
No reason for the image itself to warrant a complaint, as the scene is inoffensive. And for the people who object to Kodomo no Jikan to complain about it, they'd have to know what the show and/or characters look like, so they'd not likely recognize it without someone pointing it out to them.
Neito

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:50 am Reply with quote
This reminds me (vaguely) of that time that a news show somewhere was talking about Krispy Kream, and grabbed an image without noticing some rather not family friendly words off to the side.
skyesage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote
Hahahahaha that's pretty hilarious. I say it's a prank. Also--that ad is terrible. Why, why, why would anyone have a living room like that? Oh well, that's pretty funny.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quote
Amazingly great colour and sharpness on a TV that's got to be 25 to 30 years old. I think either it was a complete and ignorant coincidence, or some one at that newspaper is an anime and manga fan, taking the piss. In short, that is a cut and paste job if ever there was one.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Amazingly great colour and sharpness on a TV that's got to be 25 to 30 years old.

I think that may have been the actual intent. The add promotes that the product gives TVs better sound, and it's difficult to convey improved sound quality via print media. The parental controls comment is the last line of the ad.
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
The irony is hilarious.
No reason for the image itself to warrant a complaint, as the scene is inoffensive. And for the people who object to Kodomo no Jikan to complain about it, they'd have to know what the show and/or characters look like, so they'd not likely recognize it without someone pointing it out to them.

Exactly what I was thinking =D

We'll probably never know, but I'm curious if some guy just did a search on anime and somehow got a picture of Kodomo no Jikan and posted it without knowing that it was... rather controversial, or if it's some anime otaku guy at the company doing it as a joke to see if anyone gets it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2