• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hai Fidelity - Hikaru Utada: Heart Station

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I've had this album for quite a while now and I must say that I absolutely adore it! It's fantastic!
Bdig85

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I have a hard time thinking of Heart Station as a whole album since I bought all of the singles as they came out. It's more like a mini album. That said, the album didn't flow as well as Ultra Blue did, but I still loved it. "Nijiiro Bus" was my least favorite song on the entire album. It's too annoying and repetitive. "Fight the Blues" was boring at first, but it's definitely growing on me. I absolutely LOVE "Stay Gold" and "Prisoner of Love." Both of those songs just get to me every time. I think "PoL" is getting a lot of flack from fans because of its ties to the drama (which I've never seen). It seems like they think the song is getting too commercialized or something. Then again, people might not like it because it's reminiscent of Hikki's old R&B sound. A lot of people like her new Ultra Blue era flavor and don't want to see her take a step back. In any case, I'm a huge Utada fan, no matter what she does. Very Happy
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote
Wow, I'm curious about this album version of Prisoner of Love, since that is one of my favourite songs right now as I have been following the Last Friends drama (the youtube videos linked before have now been pulled due to copyright, apparently).

I might actually pick this up though, despite the not as great version, because I still do love the song, as well as Flavour of Life. I'd like to hear more from her.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:57 am Reply with quote
I must also suggest some of her early singles such as sakura drops and colors. They are really good and give you a sense of what she normally does. I think heart station was an effort to try something new (all the ballads.) And I hear she is working on a new english album.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:15 am Reply with quote
Keep in mind that "Prisoner of Love" is the A side of the single, and the Quiet Version is one of the additional songs.

In regards to Utada doing something new, I don't see it that way. I think she's just expanding more on what was done in Ultra Blue. The real experimental album is Exodus, if you had to pick one, or even Ultra Blue since her style did change from her previous albums. I feel that Heart Station is a much more consistant album than Ultra Blue, and that in fact Utada has found a great place in terms of her music that is represented through its consistancy.

There's not a bad song on the entire album, and while Rachel did make note of a couple songs, that's subjective because I loved "Stay Gold", and both versions of "Prisoner of Love" equally. I think the fact that her new English album is seemingly sticking to what we've known her for (at least from what I've gathered), it only further proves my point on her realizing her strengths musically, and that's fantastic because we don't need another Exodus.

Anyways, I second the recommendation of "Sakura Drops", and "COLORS", they're two of my favourites!
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I agree exodus was.... questionable but it will always have a place in my music library because I didn't think she would ever attempt another english album. I just hope she has more promotion this time and not just among the gaming community because she's a good all around artist and should be marketed to everyone not just those who already know her music from KH.
That's kind of what happened to sweetbox in america, people who played ff-x2 became fans yet they never gave jade a chance elsewhere and she's also a good artist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2