• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Big Windup! Baseball TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
Oofuri captures what makes baseball captivating to watch, IMHO. I don't normally watch, let alone buy sports anime but this is on my short list to get already.

It seems like a good anime, with good reviews, but to tell you the truth, I'm not really into baseball, do you reckon I should get it?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
I'm curious what exactly everyone likes about this series other than just, "This is awesome!"

Very likable characters (Mihashi may not have the depth of Shinji Ikari and is actually a cry baby, but he grows on ya), good direction, very, very consistent and high production values, great respect to the sport, nice focus on the elements of playing as a team as opposed to individual performances, etc.

Quote:
Also would a non-baseball fan like this? I reluctantly veered away from Hajime no Ippo even though it got rave reviews because I simply detest boxing.

Yes. I'd also say that someone who dislikes boxing (I do myself) would like Hajime no Ippo, as well.

Thanks for the info, Hellkorn! Moving Oofuri onto my "buy" list. This will be my first sports anime. I was looking at Princess Nine earlier, but that's OOP, so I think this is going to be it.

Hinted BL humor is always fun, too. Wink

Let's just hope Funi doesn't drag their feet on this like they are with Ouran.
bakaShin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
i wish this anime the best of luck. i figure this would be a hard sell considering its baseball and a sports anime. i wonder if over drive is going to have a better chance now.
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping for another baseball anime to hit R1 land and it looks like my wish came true. Thanks, FUNi; I'm definitely getting this when it comes out Cool .

Now if someone can license Major and/or Touch, that'll make this avid baseball fan very happy.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
Now if someone can license Major and/or Touch, that'll make this avid baseball fan very happy.

Yeah, I would have much preferred seeing either of those two licensed instead of Big Windup! At least this shows that there is at least a small possibility of baseball anime getting licensed.
JETGIRL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quote
I don't like baseball or sports anime and I loved this. It's awesome. One of my favorite thing is that nobody is really the villain of the story. They all love baseball and want to win. The character interaction is just awesome. Mihashi is a crybaby, but he's not like Shinji. Laughing He never gives up ever, even though he doesn't think himself worthy of being the pitcher. He's got issues with his past, but I liked his characters. Anyone with self esteem issues might even relate to him.

The possible BL vibes can be looked at in any way you want it to. They aren't in any way blatant or just for fanservice. Good friends, teammates, friends.... or look at it as BL moments. Either way works. Razz
Jacut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
Oofuri captures what makes baseball captivating to watch, IMHO. I don't normally watch, let alone buy sports anime but this is on my short list to get already.

Yep that's a great anime and a great move by FUNimation ! Unfortunately we won't ever see that in France since Baseball is not known at all here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:52 am Reply with quote
No, but I'm sure you can have all the soccer anime you want over there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:19 am Reply with quote
Funi probably has to put this on TV in order to sell it to the mainstream since this won't sell well among otaku who are notorious for avoiding anything that smells like sports or sweat. Unfortunately, it's only 26 eps, so it might be too short for CN.
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
Serge wrote:

It seems like a good anime, with good reviews, but to tell you the truth, I'm not really into baseball, do you reckon I should get it?

I'm a casual baseball fan but I also have some ties with the east Asian mentality when it comes to baseball so that might be why I enjoy this title more than others. Baseball in Japan is somewhat of a national/cultural artifact after all.

I think for people who are not into baseball, Oofuri is a way to introduce them to how Japanese people look at baseball. But at the same time Oofuri is unlike many sports anime because the protagonist is a bit of an anti-hero. As a result there is a healthy amount of drama. A lot of dealing-with-adolescence issues. One of the more interesting aspect about Oofuri is how it give many of the secondary characters interesting backgrounds, and for some people that's all they need to finish the series. (It's also ripe doujinshi material because of it.)

For the American baseball fan, it's a good way to get a clue what baseball is like in Japan outside the pro athlete angle (but not without tie-ins--pretty much all pro Japanese baseball players over in the US has had their time in Koshien, and Oofuri is largely about Koshien.)

At the same time it doesn't have your typical competitive sports genre's aspiring hero characters as Oofuri prefers realistic characterizations over dramatic ones. It won't be what many sports anime fans are looking for.

It still got that page-turning, cliffhanger pace that makes you want to watch the next episode ASAP though Smile
falloutgal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
I know zero about baseball but still loved this show! I think it's one of the best shows I've seen recently, regardless of genre. The characterisation, story-telling and pacing is just so good, and personally, I adored the characters Anime smile It has a real heart-warming feel to it, no super-moves or evil characters, just hard-working kids striving towards Koshien! The sports side really focusses on team-play so you come to love the characters like one big family Anime smile Can you tell how much I love this show?!

Question: why does sports anime not fare well state-side?
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely picking this up for sure. This was one of my favorite anime last year.

Now let's hope for the manga to be licensed. It's better IMO. Though the anime is great too.
Doctor Worm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
can't wait to hear the english cast announcement in 2015 and purchase the 1st Region 1 DVD in 2020.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
Yay! Oofuri is one of my current favorite anime, and I'm so excited about this. As a huge baseball fan and anime fan, I love watching something that combines two of my passions. Maybe more people will recognize my Abe cosplay, and my friend's Mihashi...Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Sort of reminds me of ADV's Princess Nine. Shame that never got licensed for the UK, but even though the game had it's birth here in Sussex and originally called "rounders" it never caught on as a national sport like cricket did later. I do enjoy watching a baseball game from the states once in a while, when it's on our Channel 5. I never did like test cricket as a match can last 5 days, but I like the new 20/20 matches which is played for one day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3