• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's wrong with Mediablasters [dubs]?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FinfoxAelia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
personally most of the series they are releasing Sub only I agree would not have good returns from dubbing

my tears go to GaoGaiGar the half dubbed. poor, poor GaoGaiGar

I'm still upset over the fact that they decided not to finish GaoGaiGar. Sad
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
FinfoxAelia wrote:
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
personally most of the series they are releasing Sub only I agree would not have good returns from dubbing

They're finishing it; the last half is being released sub-only though.
Master Luc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote
Thats what I hate to hear! I don't think I am going to buy those DVDs! I wish if I can get it, but I can't!
FinfoxAelia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
FinfoxAelia wrote:
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:

They're finishing it; the last half is being released sub-only though.

Well, it's better than nothing! Glad to hear they're not completely dropping it.

Master Luc wrote:
Thats what I hate to hear! I don't think I am going to buy those DVDs! I wish if I can get it, but I can't!

Hey, your loss dude. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If you're not used to reading subtitles, of course they're confusing. Oh course it's up to you for what you decide to watch, but subtitles do get easier the more you watch stuff with them, eventually to the point of where you shouldn't notice them and they never distract from the show. Even if they do distract, the chances are that the current animation is completely stagnant except for a few repeated mouth flaps, so it's not like you're ever really missing anything.
Now, notice what you did with this post. At no point in my post did I use the word "confusing" or imply that I couldn't follow an anime reading the subtitles. I explicitly pointed out that it was a lack of an emotional connection and the fact that with my eyes focused lower on the screen that I'm missing some of the art. You turn around and characterize my experience as being that of a "confused" person with very little experience reading subs.

When I was watching fansubs, I watched somewhere around 300+ episodes for about 10 series. I have more than a little experience and I was never "confused" as to how to read a subtitle while watching a series. In the beginning I had to rewind a bit but after about fifty episodes it did become fairly easy to follow. Still, I found I was missing details in the actual scenes, especially during long conversational scenes and fight scenes with important dialogue.

For me, the experience simply wasn't as rewarding as it is for others. I didn't feel as connected to the characters, the action or the story itself, not because I was "confused" but because reading subtitles is, for me, a distraction regardless of how long I've been doing it. (Not to mention with my eyes a possible vision risk.)

Now, do I have a problem with the Japanese language or the VAs? Not at all, in fact I was seriously considering importing R2s for a series before it was licensed because I liked it so much. If I were fluent in Japanese, my opinion of these matters would be different.

So please don't characterize me as "confused." I comprehend quite well thanks.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Now, notice what you did with this post. At no point in my post did I use the word "confusing" or imply that I couldn't follow an anime reading the subtitles. I explicitly pointed out that it was a lack of an emotional connection and the fact that with my eyes focused lower on the screen that I'm missing some of the art. You turn around and characterize my experience as being that of a "confused" person with very little experience reading subs.

When I was watching fansubs, I watched somewhere around 300+ episodes for about 10 series. I have more than a little experience and I was never "confused" as to how to read a subtitle while watching a series. In the beginning I had to rewind a bit but after about fifty episodes it did become fairly easy to follow. Still, I found I was missing details in the actual scenes, especially during long conversational scenes and fight scenes with important dialogue.

For me, the experience simply wasn't as rewarding as it is for others. I didn't feel as connected to the characters, the action or the story itself, not because I was "confused" but because reading subtitles is, for me, a distraction regardless of how long I've been doing it. (Not to mention with my eyes a possible vision risk.)

Now, do I have a problem with the Japanese language or the VAs? Not at all, in fact I was seriously considering importing R2s for a series before it was licensed because I liked it so much. If I were fluent in Japanese, my opinion of these matters would be different.

So please don't characterize me as "confused." I comprehend quite well thanks.

I had that problem with Subs the first time I watched anime that was subbed. I would miss part of it and have to go. What I usually do is with shows that have dual language (English/Japanese) I'll watch it first in English so, then go back and watch in Japanese, this way I've seen the episode already and now see the sub so I don't miss as much. But I've gotten much better with subs so sub only shows it has become easy for me to watch because I can quickly look at the subtitle then back up to the show. I still have to rewind sometimes I still miss stuff but it's not as often anymore for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Master Luc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
They are also deleying some titles like Ikki Tousen now!!!!
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm a subtitles fan, so these sub-only DVD releases don't bother me at all, though I haven't run across any myself (except the occasional one-off like Memories).

However, if those of you who prefer dubbing really want to support it, I would imagine one of the best ways would be to support anime on TV, where dubbing truly is favoured over subtitles.

Nothing is going to help pay the dubbing bills like a broadcast order. Get the English dub out to the public, as widely as possible, and then a percentage of those viewers are going to be more willing to buy DVDs.

But if you go the other way, starting from the DVD medium, it's much easier for licensors to see dubbing as one of the first areas they can cut back on. If the only people they're selling too really are a small niche of anime fandom, it's probably not all that much smaller a niche to aim only at anime fans who don't mind subtitles and can live without dubbing.
GhstDreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I was very disappointed to find out that MediaBlaster picked up Emma and I can understand why they couldn't break even on their pre-order for this series. I was planning to buy it if it was to be licensed. I loved the manga and had hoped that there would be an English dub of this series. It's just more authentic to hear it in English because it is set in 18th Century England. I usually watch series with the Japanese audio first and then rewatch with the English audio track (I'm very used to watching films with subtitles so reading subs aren't an issue). For Emma, I attempted to watch a dvd sample that came with OtakuUSA with the Japanese audio and just didn't enjoy it at all.

Unfortunately for the lack of an available English track, I decided to pass up the series.
Lee1981

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
If a dub is that important to you, you should write to Media Blasters and explain to them (respectfully of course) why they should include a dub. Obviously, it's their choice and they can do whatever they want, but at the same time if you're paying for their product then you at least have the right to make yourself heard and explain what it is you want and then leave it up to them whether they want to listen or not.
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:38 pm Reply with quote
GhstDreamer wrote:
I was very disappointed to find out that MediaBlaster picked up Emma and I can understand why they couldn't break even on their pre-order for this series.

Just a quick "fyi" but Media Blasters did not license Emma. Nozomi Entertainment (aka The Right Stuf International) is the company releasing Emma in North America.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
This sounds to me like a problem with the current crop of anime fans out there. I think it's silly that you won't be supporting a release just because it's not released in your preferred format. If it's a title you want, just bite the bullet and buy the DVD's. It's not as if you couldn't understand it...that's why they provide subtitles for the Japanese dialogue. You figure if it's released in an uncut, unaltered format in the U.S., there shouldn't be a problem. This is probably the biggest reason why the market is in such shambles as is...it seems that people are simply not willing to shell out money for something if it doesn't meet all of their requirements. I understand money is tight nowadays for a lot of folks but, if you already had the intention of buying it before you found out that a dub wouldn't be included, do the companies a favor and buy the release anyway. If you don't want to buy it because of a lack of an English-dub, that's your right as a consumer but, in my opinion that's just being anal and is really detrimental to the industry as a whole. Back in the day, we didn't have a choice what format anime got released in. It was mainly sub-only (if we were lucky), sometimes dub-only and sometimes edited only. I'd say fans are pretty lucky nowadays to have as much as they do, with as many choices in format as they do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Buying sub only dvds won't necessarily be a problem for me; if I want to see it bad enough, I'll get it. However, it will be problem for those in the mainstream who are checking it out for the first time. These are the people we need to reach if the fanbase is to expand. Hard core anime fans will be the only ones buying them. But the problem is that many hard core fans are also the one who also turn their noses up at legal US releases because they aren't "authentic enough" or they refuse to pay for anime.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Generally, I don't buy sub only releases either unless I have a fairly good idea they're going to be good. I consider not having a dub to be like general laziness or penny-pinching which I don't agree with or feel like supporting by handing over my cash and thus boycott them for the most part. It's like buying a car without a stereo or air conditioning, you don't need them to drive but they're handy to have. I do own Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, the Kimagure Orange Road TV series, OVA, and movie, and some of the Patlabor series I have are undubed. Generally it's a discouragement, but if I want to see it badly enough it's not going to stop me.

As far as Media Blasters go they never really have had many series I was interested in so I don't pay them much attention at all. Only 8 that I can think of by going through the ANN page on them, and 1 liscense they've been sitting on FOREVER with no news as to it's release.
Master Luc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Now I see Toawrd The Terra is Sub-Only, is going to dubbed later on?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6