• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's wrong with Mediablasters [dubs]?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Master Luc wrote:
Now I see Toward The Terra is Sub-Only, is going to dubbed later on?
Maybe, maybe not, but unless Bandai gives official word, we don't know anything more than you do.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
One question that always crosses my mind when people say they aren't buying something because it doesn't have a dub is - do you mean you're going to do without seeing it at all, or have you already seen it fansubbed and are being extremely hypocritical?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:
This is probably the biggest reason why the market is in such shambles as is...it seems that people are simply not willing to shell out money for something if it doesn't meet all of their requirements. I understand money is tight nowadays for a lot of folks but, if you already had the intention of buying it before you found out that a dub wouldn't be included, do the companies a favor and buy the release anyway. If you don't want to buy it because of a lack of an English-dub, that's your right as a consumer but, in my opinion that's just being anal and is really detrimental to the industry as a whole.

Okay, this is getting a bit extreme. You think people should buy products they don't want just to support the industry?!?!

I prefer subtitles, but I don't begrudge the dub fans wanting their dubs ... and no, they shouldn't have to compromise that preference out of some vague sort of guilt.

Consumers exercising their legitimate rights is not 'anal' and not detrimental to the industry as a whole. When we see these sub-only releases in today's market, if anything that's a sign that the market is glutted and the licensees are cutting back budgets because not everything can be a bestseller. It's a problem for dub fans and it's not a problem those dub fans created.

So I think it's downright spiteful of you to infer blame on them.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, The Vok!
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Also ...

Shiroi Hane wrote:
One question that always crosses my mind when people say they aren't buying something because it doesn't have a dub is - do you mean you're going to do without seeing it at all, or have you already seen it fansubbed and are being extremely hypocritical?

... that wouldn't be as hypocritical as you suggest.

If someone prefers dubs, sure, they might watch a fansub first because it's available earlier. That's no replacement, though, for the product they're willing to pay for.

I mean, I see your point; if someone was really sticking to their guns with the whole "dub or nuthin'" preference, they would never watch fansubs. But I don't think the slightly less black and white nature of fandom is necessarily indicative of hypocrisy.

And that said, I'm not here to defend fansubs and their viewers ....
GhstDreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

I'm not planning to seeing it at all. I only watched one episode of Emma on a dvd sampler from a magazine. I never watched the fansubs, so I know for myself I'm not being hypocritical.

Quote:

if you already had the intention of buying it before you found out that a dub wouldn't be included, do the companies a favor and buy the release anyway. If you don't want to buy it because of a lack of an English-dub, that's your right as a consumer but, in my opinion that's just being anal and is really detrimental to the industry as a whole.

Personally, I don't feel the need to go and do a company a favour by purchasing an item that doesn't meet my preferences. I watch both subs and dubs with most anime series and want that choice. I don't see how by not purchasing that series it would be detrimental to the industry. In fact, it'll free up my money to buy another series (that'll probably cost more).
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I have no problems with Media Blasters, as they actually meet my requirements.

If you're going to offer sub only, don't give me two episodes a disc and charge me $50. MB releases their discs for (using Best Buy) around $15 a pop. Which is perfect. The boxset of Girls High is $18 itself. (and its 3 discs) Absolutely perfect. I can't argue with that.

I like dubs and subs, but I refuse to pay $30+ for a disc thats sub only w/ only 2 episodes. The particular business model I'm referring too was Bandai visual USA. it led to their demise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

For me it depends on the story which is my main reason for watching anything if it was something I found really interesting from a discription or a trailer I'd pick it up. It depends on wheter I judge getting ripped off with no dub in favor of a good story feasable and take one for team. For instance if it was a mech series I'd probabally buy it if it was bottom tier, like a harem comedy, I'd pass. As to the second part if I'd already seen it I'd want to own it reguardless but that doesn't mean I wouldn't feel ripped off (IE Ghost in the Shell 2). What can I say? I'm American I like the fredom of choice which usually comes with an anime DVD (The dub or the original with subs. I like being able to watch both ways.) It's annoying when companies make the decision for you. It's like a car dealership selling nothing but pink cars. What if I don't like pink (which I don't) and want another color? Too bad, they only have pink. I'd go to another dealership and find somethieng else.

Then there's the seperate issue of Bandai Visual's stuff (possibly moot since they're gone now.) I boycott them not only because I disagreed with the lack of dubbing but also the pricing scheme and the miniscule episode count per DVD.
midnighteve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
I personally think that a dub can add to a show. I'm one of those strange few people who enjoyed Papuwa, but it was the dub that made it for me. I actually found the original Japanese dialogue to be quite boring in comparison (I would rate myself to be about 75% fluent in Japanese listening comprehension, for the record.) It was the same with the Saiunkoku dub as well--although I adored the original language, the dub had me all excited to purchase R1 releases.

A more recent example was Gurren Lagann. I've heard all about it's potential funny-ness, but I just couldn't get into it somehow. When I heard of it being liscensed, I was happy in thinking that a good dub would get me into the series. In terms of humor, I really think that hearing it in one's native language can produce more laughter (if done well, of course). I couldn't help but be a little disappointed at its latest news and now have a much smaller likelihood of purchasing it.

Though I must say, I like the fact that MB's releases are at a lower price. If I have to get my anime sub only, I'm glad I don't have to pay the some price as a series with a dub included.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, that's very true sometimes. I experienced that with Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicle I liked it when I watched the subs and the story was interesting but with the slow pacing I just found it too much of a chore and dropped it after about 10-15 episodes. I picked up the whole first season on a whim and was surprised how much better the series was dubbed and how well it flowed.
midnighteve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Ah yes, that's very true sometimes. I experienced that with Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicle I liked it when I watched the subs and the story was interesting but with the slow pacing I just found it too much of a chore and dropped it after about 10-15 episodes. I picked up the whole first season on a whim and was surprised how much better the series was dubbed and how well it flowed.

Hmmm, you're getting me interested in picking that series up. I really loved the manga, but I couldn't get into the anime for the same reason you stated. Maybe I'll look into that...
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Generally, I don't buy sub only releases either unless I have a fairly good idea they're going to be good. I consider not having a dub to be like general laziness or penny-pinching which I don't agree with or feel like supporting by handing over my cash and thus boycott them for the most part. It's like buying a car without a stereo or air conditioning, you don't need them to drive but they're handy to have. I do own Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, the Kimagure Orange Road TV series, OVA, and movie, and some of the Patlabor series I have are undubed. Generally it's a discouragement, but if I want to see it badly enough it's not going to stop me.

I agree, I'm a dub fan because I learn by hearing so if I watch subs I sometimes have to go back to understand something. If it's a series I really want and it's sub-only I'd buy it. I still have VHS tapes that were sub only because I could only find them sub-only, which wasn't common in the VHS days when dubs dominated the anime market.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I greatly prefer dubs overall.

But, I kinda wonder how Media Blaster's Yuri Fan titles (Kashimashi, Simoun, Strawberry Panic) would have turned out. My only frame of reference for a dubbed semi yuri title was Kannazuki no Miko, and I was a little underwhelmed. In my opinion yuri works better subbed.

I think if all those had been dubbed, I would have grown tired of hearing Stephanie Sheh's voice as the lead in most of the MB titles.

The MB sub title releases have been some of my favorite recent releases (even outside of the yuri with Girl's High, Princess Princess, and Ramen Fighter Miki), and the only reason I even saw them in the first place was that they were offered to me for $3 or less per episode for a physical copy as opposed to the $5 to $15 per episode offered by other companies.

MB has offered low cost dub releases before, with mixed results. Noein was ok, but they also gave us Green Green.

I received my Emma box on Saturday, but have quite a backlog to get through before I watch and before I can offer an opinion on Right Stuff's sub only release (I did like the free episode they put in one of the last Newtype discs).
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
I also just got my Emma box and although I haven't got around to watching it yet I did thumb through the gorgeous booklet which was included. It is square bound and despite being black and white is full of data and images. At 300 minutes and a $33 pre-order price I will easily look over the lack of an English track. Looking at the amazon ranking Right Stuf probably could have gotten away with a dub which probably would have only bumped the price of this set up by several dollars.

In regards to Media Blasters they probably could have been able to dub Simoun and Strawberry Panic and manage to break even or make a profit at $30 seeing how well these series have done. I still am convinced that there is no way they could sell a dubbed version of Gao Gai Gar at $30 a volume and get their money back. I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of those under 2000 units per volume titles. If MB sells these DVDs to retailers for around $15 this is barely enough to cover the dub if there wasn't a license or production fee.

I still don't see how people are arguing against some of these DVDs lacking a dub. Although I don't listen to the English track I agree that it is stupid that Ghost in the Shell Innocence and Millennium Actress don't have a dub since it would only cost a dollar or so more per DVD made. On the other hand a series like Ramen Fighter, Aoi and Mutsuki would probably cost over $60 (based off the $10,000 per episode at under 2000 units math) a DVD if they were to cover their dub cost due to the limited number of copies sold. I'm pretty sure they lost money from Genma Wars and Hi No Tori being dubbed since their sales were fairly low.

Even though I don't listen to the dubs I don't mind paying the extra $5 for an English track since I think it does help a title sell in the States. I also do understand the reality that there is no way to cover the cost of a dub for a title that sells under 2000 units unless the company subsidizes the cost by using profits from a successful title.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:38 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
MB has offered low cost dub releases before, with mixed results. Noein was ok, but they also gave us Green Green.
Noein was released by Manga Entertainment, not Media-Blasters. With Green Green though, I really suspect the backlash over that dub was the part of the reason why they started going sub-only on titles outside the shounen-ai / shoujo-ai niches. My theory goes, they decided they'd be better off skipping dubs entirely instead of adding cheap terrible dubs that nobody wanted to listen to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6