• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's wrong with Mediablasters [dubs]?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloud1989

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:12 am Reply with quote
I don't own that many media blasters titles but the ones I do are dubbed series and they also happen to be some of few titles( among a couple other non MB titles) that I can't stand the dub of, Rurouni kenshin was fairly good but I couldn't stand a couple characters voices, that waitress or whoever she was comes to mind with the county accent. The rest of my MB titles have unbearable dubs, I don't know if its coincidence or if it was their dub studio they used but if their is one distributor I would have wanted to give up on dubbing it would be media blasters, everyone else has had their bad moments but mb is the only one to completely disappoint me in everything I own by them dubbed, and I do like dubs, and when I have the option I will start a series in English and only switch to subs if I don't like it.
khimru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:41 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
It is an assumption indeed, I do not dispute that. They paid 5 dollars to license the product for all I know. The numbers still don't seem to match up for me, since you're talking one piece of a larger product accounting for the bulk of the costs, especially when the release costs don't support the claim as no company would produce any dubs if those assumptions were correct.
Why? It all depends on size of the market. High-quality subs (like in "His and Her Circumstances") can have costs comparable to the dub. High-quality mastering can be expensive too. In fact any part of production can chew up unlimited sum of money - if you'll allow it. But when we are talking about low end - dub is not something you can squeeze. You can create subtitles quite cheaply (yes, by limiting some on research, using not the very top-notch translators and ignoring signs), you can reduce mastering costs if you are content with simple non-animated menu, but if you'll try to make dub 10 times cheaper - it'll produce ire of buyers. Want to hear cheap dub? Buy any licensed Russian anime DVD. For example Sol-Bianca. $13 for 6 OVAs with dub and sub.
Keonyn wrote:
Heck, if studio time and voice production cost what he claims, things would be noticeably different across multiple industries, not just anime.
Very few industries produce something which should be profitable from just 1000 or 2000 copies.

Dub raises sales signifiantly - there are no doubt about it. And if we are talking 10'000 vs 20'000 copies good dub makes perfect sense. But if you go down to less and less popular titles dub becomes less and less justifiable - and in the end it makes no sense whatsoever.
Keonyn wrote:
In the end, unless someone can present some documents that show how much someone pays for a product and the costs involved in the larger overall picture and how it all fits together, then honestly no one here is in a position to lecture anybody about costs and gains aside from the obvious.
Noone will show you trade secrets, sorry. But you can find good estimates if you'll dig around the world. $2-$3 Chinese DVDs mark amount of money needed to produce and sell physical disk, licensed disks in "cheap" countries (like Russia) give you estimate of sub+dub expenses. BTW they sell smaller number of units then in US (because $13 for 6-7 episodes is "too expensive" - you can buy bootleg with the whole season of 13 episodes for $5-$6). But if you'll hear these "DVD only dubs" you'll know why US companies don't go this way. They have two voice actors (one male, of female) and these are dubbing everything. In one session, of course: no doubles allowed (well - if something TOTALLY screwed up they can rerecord it, but it's failure of the system, not something done routinely). If these two are said something wrong... or mixed characters... well - then so be it. Will you buy such dub? This can be done for the same sum as sub or may be even cheaper.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
The only mediablasters product I own is the Loveless series. And I would really NOT want to see that show dubbed. If you know what its about and the characters you would probably understand why.

It would just make the whole show more creepy and weird then it already is. Just NO. no no no.

There are some shows I like watching dubbed and some I dont.

My donts and do's:

Dont: Loveless, Gravitation(omg the dub sucks in this..dear lord..Shuichi is more hateable when dubbed), Hana Yori Dango, Utena

Do: Noir (perfect), Slayers, Get Backers, Elfen Lied, Madlax

Also who would honestly skip out on a anime they find interesting just because its not dubbed? That sounds kinda..odd to me. I take what I can find personally provided its not embarrassing to hear or cringe inducing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6