• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: The Confessional

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:08 am Reply with quote
As I see it, what happened to anime is it stopped being the edgy thing to like when TV channels proudly advertised their Japanese shows in their lineup and American produced shows wanted to adopt the manga look with mixed results. Rabid fans no longer need to display their love since the product has become so accepted, so it seems as if the passion has disappeared.

TMoHS a masterpiece? Nope, not at all. Piece of junk? Negative. Overrated? To that I reply: in the Internet, what movie or TV show (not only anime) created with a modicum of talent and energy invested isn't called that? I am not too quick to defend the series' constant fits of fanservice of how it gets way. too. verbose way too often (in my book, even the awesomeness of seeing spoiler[nondescript, energy-created giants destroying Tokyo like a sand castle] does not make up for the nearly ten minutes of a character droning on about the nature of the universe just before in the episode). But on the other hand, every character manages to stand out from the rest through their designs, speech mannerisms and small details that only become evident in subsequent viewings. To me they are the series' greatest asset and the episodes with quirky ideas (like the ones with spoiler[the giant cricket in the desert and the murder plot]) would not work the same way without such strong characterizations to back them up.

It is a series worth checking out, but I don't see it getting the "classic" treatment ten years from now.
kona-chan13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
So where's the drop in con attendance going to come from? High gas prices / bad economy, or people fearing for their lives and not attending Anime Expo in downtown Los Angeles?

im sleeping in my car Twisted Evil or just go to partys all night till like 4:00
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
So where's the drop in con attendance going to come from? High gas prices / bad economy, or people fearing for their lives and not attending Anime Expo in downtown Los Angeles?

I think he's been hearing the same rumors I have about the magnitude of the FAIL anime expo will be this year (from an organizational point of view). If AX blows up, that'll hurt con attendance everywhere, I think.
Mirri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
I'm so happy I was on the confessions list, I was going to go nuts if I wasn't.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
Sunni wrote:
So this is how you get out of writing a column. One tired question, then let fans do the rest of the work.

Can you at least try to write a good column next week? Detailed, intelligent, informative responses like AskJohn, not just 5-10 lines of half-assed opinion? Why your column is popular boggles the mind. Writer my ass.

I think we just found the flake heh. Or at the very least a future flake in training.

samuelp wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

I think he's been hearing the same rumors I have about the magnitude of the FAIL anime expo will be this year (from an organizational point of view). If AX blows up, that'll hurt con attendance everywhere, I think.

Why would it hurt con attendance everywhere? What does AX have to do with any other cons beyond AX? Especially those not even in the same state.

Zalis116 wrote:

Don't forget about the #2 big con back here on the East Coast. I'm personally interested in seeing what kind of attendance Otakon gets as well. Though despite the fact i do believe B-more has more murders each year then L.A. I'd still rather be here lol.

My only question for Zac is if he's seen Haruhi and if so will we get to see his opinions on it next week?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quote
ClichedUsername wrote:
Quote:
I cried when Ash turned to stone in Pokemon: The First Movie.

Same here, man. Same here. Crying or Very sad

I actually had that same thing happen to me as well. That has been the first and so far the only time I have cried when watching anime. And of all the things it was Pokemon. Haruhi? Overrated.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
Glad I'm not the only one who cried at that scene in the Pokemon movie. Then again, I also cried when Butterfree went away too.
crilix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
... What kind of next week's question is that?
FeralKat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
Glad to know that I wasn't the only one that cried when Ash turned to stone--what got me going though was when pikachu was being slapped around by evil pikachu. Crying or Very sad
frodonk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
this week's column was one of the best answerman i've read for a long time, even though 95% of the column was from other people Laughing

i would also be very interested in what people can come up with regarding their love/hate of MOHS.. especially zac's comments if he cares to share it
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:25 am Reply with quote
I didn't watch enough of MOH to be able to talk about the entire series, but I still say that the first episode was a really bad idea and just thinking of it turns me off the entire franchise.

I'm interested in seeing how much of the top viewed shows I've seen.

1. Fullmetal Alchemist (TV) -- I've watched about 10-15 episodes, need to see more eventually.
2. Cowboy Bebop (TV) -- watched this, enjoyed it but don't think it's anything too special (except for the music)
3. Bleach (TV) -- never seen it
4. Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV) -- never seen it
5. Naruto (TV) -- never seen it (and make a point not to Razz)
6. FLCL (OAV) -- I've seen the first two episodes (twice!) and want those minutes of my life back.
7. Trigun (TV) -- watched this and it got me back into anime!
8. Princess Mononoke -- I've seen this all the way at least once, partly at least once, and couldn't stand it either time.
9. Inuyasha (TV) -- I watched an episode once!
10. Death Note -- I watched the first half and loved the first quarter (until the Yotsuba arc)
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
Ari-chan wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one who cried at that scene in the Pokemon movie.

I did too. In fact, I didn't think that was something that deserved a notorious confession. That whole scene was pretty well orchestrated in my opinion (from the background music to the weeping Pikachu). And it was only the first movie; everything Pokemon didn't yet feel as clichéd.

No comment on the Butterfree scene, though. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:34 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

I don't really know about organizational, but the guests this year are nowhere near as godly as they were last year (or the year before, etc.). I'm just going because I always go and have fun. Will probably be trying out a few things I never go to this year. There's only really two guests I am interested in this year (and even those two, not that terribly much).

Edit: Although there is still quite a bit of "TBA"s on their schedule, so maybe someone I may like... And Circus is having a panel again, which I really liked last time. It had a few unannounced Japanese guests there and some autographs. Hopefully some this year as well.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:40 am Reply with quote
Hm... I'd have to guess the decline in anime viewing is merely perceived, not actual. If the R1 market is being referred to, then yes, there is a decline. The next big thing will probably be Claymore or D. Gray-Man. Soul Eater I doubt will be out anytime soon.

Edit: As for Haruhi, I agree with an earlier response, "I'll choose D- none of the above." It was a decent show, that was good to watch once, maybe a rewatch with the knowledge of what was presented, and repeated viewings of the concert in episode 12.
wolfsbane12

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:11 am Reply with quote
The top most viewed (call me a hipster)

Fullmetal Alchemist-I own it, it's in my top twenty, but I want another movie to finish the series.
Cowboy Bebop-if it wasn't for this very show I wouldn't be buying anime
Bleach-much better then Naruto, I'm a sucker for shonen stories with a more adult (then the current crop, though I haven't seen the uncut One Piece yet) edge
Neon Genesis Evangelion-blew my mind, freaked me out, made me into one of those people that checks out everything Gainax puts out just because of EVA
Naruto-a bit annoying (especially with the manga seemingly going off the rails) but I'll tune in if it's on Cartoon Network and I'm home, I'll admit that I liked the whole shadowing thing (no matter how forced it was) between Naruto's group and Tsunade's group
FLCL-Great story, music, and even better if you're under the influence when you watch (so I've heard)
Trigun-First time I watched it I absolutely hated it, second time I watched it I loved it. I don't know how I changed my mind, but I did, I flip flopped (to quote Tony Reali from Around the Horn) and I'm not ashamed to admit it (mute)
Princess Mononoke-top five hands down. Miyazaki's best work
Inuyasha-lost all respect for it when I sat through a 175 episoded for a GANTZ style non-ending
Death Note-the pacing reeled me in and made me want an "L" t-shirt (anyone know where I can find one?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10