• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: The Confessional

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wing_Goddess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"I cried when Ash turned to stone in Pokemon: The First Movie."

Hahaha, that's the title of this group here
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=506786372#/group.php?gid=2245386728
xD
loka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:13 am Reply with quote
watching the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya in broadcast order while knowing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of the story's genre, plot, or characters is the by far the best way to have it make a big impact. literally any knowledge will completely ruin the first episode.

if you had exposure to the plot via novels or manga (or anime hype if you didn't watch it immediately), the broadcast order probably wasnt of much interest. i found the broadcast order brilliant.
Steroid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:12 am Reply with quote
I think the glut of confessions that may not be shows that norms are established without anyone really declaring it. I've never watched Eva either, but is it some sort of archetypical anime? If so, I can see how people who didn't like it would question their own credentials as a fan. It's the sort of confession that warrants absolution, but confession-worthy nonetheless.

I spoke about Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu when it came out, but to formalize my opinion: SHnY : anime :: Galaxy Quest : science fiction. It was a parody from the inside. It sent up the genre in a way to suggest that the writers knew what they were talking about, and that it would be funny for the dedicated fan, more so than for the person who simply isn't into it. Truth be told, anime does this fairly frequently. Excel Saga, Pani Poni Dash, and Lucky Star all fall into this category, and all are popular anime.

The difference, and why I consider SHnY to be overrated, is that no real plot advancement or character development occurs in the other anime I named, and in something like Galaxy Quest the development was to solidify the characters' relationship to the genre conventions. In SHnY, spoiler[the two main characters start out as genre types--Haruhi is every weird girl who's smarter than everyone else. She's Konata; she's Ichijo; she's Excel. Kyon is the young man searching for life meaning. But they don't end up there. By series end, Haruhi is a normal girl, at least in spirit and Kyon is a more confident guy. That's a slap in the face to the insiders, and a sop to the non-obsessed.

I think when most people glorify the show, they are remembering Haruhi in her crazy phase--groping Asahina, wearing arm bands and the bunny girl outfit, making the logo, etc. Looking at the sort of merchandise that's selling bears this out. But for me, knowing that she winds up simply a lovesick teenager belies the fun of all that.]

But that may be caused by watching it in broadcast order. In chronological order when the plot gets out of the way earlier, it might be better.

The point is, Asahina is hot.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:48 am Reply with quote
I have a confession: I hate Mike Walko.

Another confession: I also hate Sunni. If you don't like the Answerman column, go elsewhere. Entertainment doesn't cater to you; It's up to you find the entertainment that is appropriate to your tastes. When an entertainer starts bowing to every little whim of his or her audience, that's a sign of the end.

No hate to Ask John, but just because he writes a lot doesn't necessarily mean that it's more entertaining or informative. It just means that he writes a lot in response to questions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote
My confession:
Kazuki Fuchoin is the real reason I'm growing my hair long.
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah, these ones weren't confessions either:

Quote:
Michelle Cantwell:
"The only good anime that is recent to the states that I think is awesome is Bleach."

Allen Thomas:
"Otaku are bad for the anime industry because they only want the same things over and over again."

Mike Walko:
"I believe Serial Experiment Lain was put out as a test to see what was the worst possible piece of crap an anime studio can put out that people will staunchly defend as a masterpiece."

Anna Park:
"Edward Elric is one of the biggest not-so-nice-people in the history of anime protagonists, and FMA only starts getting good once it moves away from him a bit and there's more military action."

Drew Bouncer:
"I hate Sharon Apple. I hate her looks. I hate her songs. I hate her fan base. I hate everything about her."

Sam Murai:
"I think that Satoshi Kon's work is nothing spectacular. Rather, I think that much of them consist of very routine, predictable stories covered with overblown creative flourishes that act more as filler, unintentionally or not, for the more shallow content."

None of these opinions is in any way surprising, ironic, unusual, self-effacing or self-deprecating. They're sometimes somewhat clever, but clever does not a confession make.
skyesage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote
Yay~. I'm on Answerman today~.

Anyways, that was a fun one to read--thanks for a good column. While actual criticism is always good, there is also a such thing as trolling, and it is too bad that most of your criticism comes from trolls and not...people? Hahahaha.

Anyways, I wish I had seen enough SHnY to really comment, but I've only seen the first four episodes, so I guess not. They were good though...I like it. Though it's kinda awkward to watch at points with all the fanservicey stuff and them being crazy.

Sometimes I wish that the questions were bold and the answers were not...but that's probably just a matter of taste and no one else cares.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote
TMoHS = Over hyped soft-core loli-moe fodder.
Dramatis Personae

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote
:/ I cried at a scene in Soul Eater. How humiliating.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote
Haha, yes! The Pokemon one is mine.

Anyway, if I knew one would have been picked, I would have just sent the very last point in my e-mail. Although, not sure if I would want that out on the Internet (for the sake of my college future)...
ohstalon06

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I didn't watch enough of MOH to be able to talk about the entire series, but I still say that the first episode was a really bad idea and just thinking of it turns me off the entire franchise.

Then you really cannot speak to the franchise at all, the first episode has no weight on the entire series.

I personally think it falls into none of the answers he gave us, but I think its one of the better shows that have been made in recent years.

mohawk52 wrote:
Kodomo no Jikan = Over hyped soft-core loli-moe fodder.

Fixed, if any of the characters in Haruhi are loli, I need to double check my eyes.
bigheart711

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Rob Arnold:
"I get really really gushy and crazy about moé girls even though I have absolutely no interest in girls at all."

I feel the same for this guy! There's nouthing but hoes right in Kansas City! One more thing, Fullmetal Alchemist really didn't grab my attention.
Raelanura

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
"Kodomo no Jikan is one of the most emotionally genuine series in a while."

That's more like stating the obvious than a confession.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I have a confession: I hate Mike Walko.

No love lost. A lot of people fell into the trap from what I read on forums.

As for the top 10 list

1. Fullmetal Alchemist (TV) -- Seen and owned. A fun time
2. Cowboy Bebop (TV) -- Seen an owned. Good but not ground breaking
3. Bleach (TV) -- only picking up the box sets, but I enjoy it
4. Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV) -- Seen and owned. It's okay
5. Naruto (TV) -- Seen a few random episodes on CN. Never again
6. FLCL (OAV) -- Seen and owned. Still the best looking series I've seen.
7. Trigun (TV) -- Oh God, the horror. The Horror...
8. Princess Mononoke -- Seen. It was alright. Not the star wars of anime
9. Inuyasha (TV) -- Seen assorted episodes on CN. would never bother to buy.
10. Death Note -- Buying the discs as they release. Initially thought it was the best thing since the wheel, but the more I think about the show after each disc, the more it dips down in retrospect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BlooDrAgOn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote
Is there anyone else on this forum who believes that Evangelion was a hundred times better than RahXephon? I loved the way how in Eva each character had a distinct and unique behavior/background, but I felt really detached from the characters of RahXephon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10