• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: The Confessional

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
wolfsbane12 wrote:
Bleach-much better then Naruto, I'm a sucker for shonen stories with a more adult (then the current crop, though I haven't seen the uncut One Piece yet) edge

Question

How is Bleach more adult than regular shonen. It has a lot of blood, but I think it's at the same maturity level as One Piece and Naruto.

Top 10 most viewed list:

1. Fullmetal Alchemist (TV) -- Seen all of it. It's an excellent show, but I think that the manga is better.
2. Cowboy Bebop (TV) -- Pretty good, but I think that the soundtrack is the best thing about it and without it, it would be just decent.
3. Bleach (TV) -- One of my favorite shonen series, but I like the manga more. It's also a shame that the quality in the animation isn't as good in comparison to Naruto when it comes to the big fights.
4. Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV) -- Never seen it.
5. Naruto (TV) -- Got me back into anime. Smile
6. FLCL (OAV) -- I've seen 3 episodes. It was fun, but not a priority to finish right now.
7. Trigun (TV) -- Never seen it.
8. Princess Mononoke -- I though this was a masterpiece. Miyazaki should make more action-oriented movies.
9. Inuyasha (TV) -- Seen all of it. It was pretty good, but too repetitive.
10. Death Note -- My favorite series and the 2nd half isn't nowhere near as bad as people try to make it out to be, IMO.

wolfsbane12 wrote:
Death Note-the pacing reeled me in and made me want an "L" t-shirt (anyone know where I can find one?)

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/7swU5YCydXUB65DdxY/browse/item/76944/4/0/0
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/7swU5YCydXUB65DdxY/browse/item/78679/4/0/0
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/7swU5YCydXUB65DdxY/browse/item/79419/4/0/0
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/7swU5YCydXUB65DdxY/browse/item/80340/4/0/0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:22 am Reply with quote
To all those who wrote down their own viewing experience on the Top 10 Most Viewed list: I made a confession that, as an Encyclopedia Editor who have personally checked ~10K anime and manga titles on this site, I've only watched two out of ten "most viewed" by the general fandom. It was not for people to rant how they have watched most/all of them and/or how they feel about them. Either confess that you've never seen most of them or have given masterpiece(s) to any title(s) on the Top 10 Worst Rated list, or find something else to write.

ohstalon06 wrote:
mohawk52 wrote:
Kodomo no Jikan = Over hyped soft-core loli-moe fodder.

Fixed, if any of the characters in Haruhi are loli, I need to double check my eyes.

Please make an appointment with your ophthalmologist immediately. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:22 am Reply with quote
I guess I would have to say Haruhi is overrated, because it's certainly not trash, but it's not as amazing as I would have thought with how people gushed over it.

And here's to hoping we can get back to answering some questions again.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
Haruhi is fun and entertaining. Perhaps one of the most fun and visually appealing shows I've seen. Fun to watch situations and plenty of OMG moments that made it memorable (I also liked that "first" episode). Do I care if it's not the second coming of Christ? No. I just like it for what it is. It certainly isn't a masterpiece, but it does what it's trying to do very, very well.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
To all those who wrote down their own viewing experience on the Top 10 Most Viewed list: I made a confession that, as an Encyclopedia Editor who have personally checked ~10K anime and manga titles on this site, I've only watched two out of ten "most viewed" by the general fandom. It was not for people to rant how they have watched most/all of them and/or how they feel about them. Either confess that you've never seen most of them or have given masterpiece(s) to any title(s) on the Top 10 Worst Rated list, or find something else to write.

ohstalon06 wrote:
mohawk52 wrote:

Fixed, if any of the characters in Haruhi are loli, I need to double check my eyes.

First, I'd suggest that people not confess anything since that's what prompted this week's Answerman, and I'd much rather see some actual answers to some actual questions next week.

Second, best find ever for that series. Proof if there ever was any. Not to mention, you can easily purchase a wall scroll of all the girls, including Kyon's little sister, in bunny costumes, so there is a bit more fodder.
ohstalon06

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

ohstalon06 wrote:
mohawk52 wrote:

In defense I meant that more for the main characters, not for her.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Second, best find ever for that series. Proof if there ever was any. Not to mention, you can easily purchase a wall scroll of all the girls, including Kyon's little sister, in bunny costumes, so there is a bit more fodder.

Tell me about it -- I own that scroll. Wink Yet I haven't gone far enough to purchase this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
... What kind of next week's question is that?

One that's getting lots of good responses?
scortia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Either confess that you've never seen most of them or have given masterpiece(s) to any title(s) on the Top 10 Worst Rated list, or find something else to write.

Wow, I've seen 6 of the titles in the Worst 10. I'm sad to see Reign and Duel Masters there. Sure Reign wasn't as good as Aeon Flux and didn't have a decisive ending, but it wasn't that bad. And the Duel Masters dub has some of the most hilarious parody scripts I've ever heard.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

Tell me about it -- I own that scroll. Wink Yet I haven't gone far enough to purchase this.

That one made me chuckle a little. The rest of the girls have figures, so why not, I guess.
Sakurin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Ari-chan wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one who cried at that scene in the Pokemon movie. Then again, I also cried when Butterfree went away too.

Same here on both accounts... actually... Confused
142_goofy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
[quote="fighterholic"][quote="ClichedUsername"]
Quote:
I cried when Ash turned to stone in Pokemon: The First Movie.

So did I!...and I was 16.
se37

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
It seems everyone is doing this top ten list. So why not.

1. Fullmetal Alchemist (TV) -- Seen the whole series and I think it's really wonderful. I also did like the movie, haven't read the manga however.
2. Cowboy Bebop (TV) -- Very good story with the cast of characters that are just to die for.
3. Bleach (TV) -- It's ok, it's only good to watch when bored. It shouldn't get as much hype as it does.
4. Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV) -- WTF was this? I may need to rewatch the series again to get what was going on.
5. Naruto (TV) -- Another OK, it's ok to watch when bored and the hype for it sucks.
6. FLCL (OAV) -- Watched the series, great show if you can keep up in what is going on.
7. Trigun (TV) -- Another good one, i would place this higher then Cowboy Bebop
8. Princess Mononoke -- Masterpiece, pure and simple.
9. Inuyasha (TV) -- Stop watching at around 80 I think. It's Dragonball Z for girls. Gets way to repetitive.
10. Death Note -- Never have been able to get into this show. Just doesn't trill me I guess.

Oh and for next weeks, I'll be writing in but I think Haruhi is one of the best series out there. I think it's really original even if people don't say it is. However, anybody who doesn't like the anime as much should read the Light Novels. Those are the true masterpiece of the series. The novels have them making the Mikuru Movie, the best book is the 4th(I think) which is going to be the 2nd season. I mean, what other series has bunny girls, maids, Moe, action, sci-fi, and detective story that is just really good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm about to go out on a limb.

Chances are, if you hate Melancholy, you loathe Evangelion. And if you hate these two, I can imagine a few more Anime fall into your category of 'despicable'.

Of course, these are the people who's favorite shows are something like: 'Something-san no something-ichi', and they always introduce their show by "The OVA...".

/sigh
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
or have given masterpiece(s) to any title(s) on the Top 10 Worst Rated list, or find something else to write.

Out of the 2924 total ratings for those bottom ten, only 39 votes were masterpieces, or 1.3%. And chances are most of those were spammers so I doubt we'll be hearing from anyone. Wink Though I would be interested for someones reason why?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10