• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
help! [Anime and Action Figures]

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Schneider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:22 pm Reply with quote
hey i need help fiding some good anime, I've seen berserk and im gettting eva this week but i also want to tbuy some action figures

[EDIT - Topic Adjusted -C]
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Good anime eh? Well if you like Berserk I recommend to you Escaflowne or Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust. It would help me more if I knew what anime and manga you liked besides dark fantasy and EVA( I haven't seen any of that I think) . As for the action figures I have no idea since I don't buy those. If you're curious on what else I've seen a lot of and recommend check out "My anime/My manga" list. Oh yeah before I forget Welcome to the forum and ANN!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tamer Brad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Let's see...

Gundam Wing
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
.hack//SIGN
.hack//Liminality

are just some that come to mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Could you be more specific about the kinds of things you are looking for?

For instance, if you were looking for something with lots of blood, you might want to check out Hellsing. Then again, if it's more action oriented things you are looking for, you might want to go with Cowboy Bebop or Rurouni Kenshin. Of course, I'd reccomend checking them all out anyway. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
gnollman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Action figures only? Or toys in general?

One of my personal favorite series, both for story and for merchandising (toys) has to be the Macross line.... Those Yamato 1:48 Valkyries are just.... wah. They're incredible. Throw some fast packs on, and it's all love.

Of course, Evangelion has a huge merchandising aspect, as well... but if you want figures from that one, I'd recommend you pick up the Soul of Chogokin EVAs... very nice, high metal content action figures.

Of course, these above are all on the expensive end of things... you can always go cheaper, but quality goes down with price. But then, that's only if you're into these two series.

Tell us what you like, and we'll tell you what to see....
Dark Schneider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:35 am Reply with quote
gnollman wrote:
Action figures only? Or toys in general?

One of my personal favorite series, both for story and for merchandising (toys) has to be the Macross line.... Those Yamato 1:48 Valkyries are just.... wah. They're incredible. Throw some fast packs on, and it's all love.

Of course, Evangelion has a huge merchandising aspect, as well... but if you want figures from that one, I'd recommend you pick up the Soul of Chogokin EVAs... very nice, high metal content action figures.

Of course, these above are all on the expensive end of things... you can always go cheaper, but quality goes down with price. But then, that's only if you're into these two series.

Tell us what you like, and we'll tell you what to see....

well i like figures that are well mech kind but i love collectables doesnt matter what kind i like evangelion series and the evas escaflowne gundam ect ect. but its hard to find for eva just wanna know where i can find some
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:11 am Reply with quote
Ah, action figures, that's my specialty. My two favorite places to buy are www.houseofanime.com and www.bigbadtoystore.com . HOA offers free standard shipping and has a really great variety of stuff at low prices. BBTS is just the all around best place to buy mech stuff, flat rate shipping, and probably the best customer service on the net.

Other favorite shops:

Wizzywig
Mugen Toys
Image Anime
Hobby Link Japan

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gnollman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Hobby Link Japan is a great place, but can be a bit slow on the shipping. Another great place is Twin Moons Anime. No bootlegs here, and they have all sorts of stuff from NGE and Gundam, as well as Macross. Tam ships his merchandise with rock solid shipping, as well. I've dealt with him a number of times, with zero complaints.
joeasakurajr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:47 am Reply with quote
These are all good places to order from, then? I will have to look into that someday when I actually have money to play with!

For those fans in the Houston (TX) area, I will say this: avoid Anime Pavilion in Sugar Land First Colony Mall, as it has a whole wall full of recasted resin model kits from companies like Volks and Fewture. Recasting is the equivalent of someone sneaking into a theatre and videotaping a movie, then dubbing it onto VHS or DVD even and rushing it out for sale to those as unscrupulous as they are who can't be bothered to wait to see the movie in the theatre. It takes money away from the artists who worked so hard to create something beautiful and basically spits in their face. Many model kit companies have folded due to this practice.

That said, I hate to say this, but...sometimes the only way to get a Japanese movie that will probably never see the light of day in America due to "the market not being there" (translation: due to the asinine American public who couldn't care less about anything other than mindless excuses for comedy and heavy-handed feelgood movies) is via a bootleg. All my Godzilla Heisei series movies are VHS laserdisc boots, acquired long before those movies were released over here, for example, because I thought they'd never be released over here. And most likely the live action Devil Man movie (!!!!!!!!YEESSSS!!!!!!!!!) will suffer the same fate--funny how we Americans can handle gore and violence as long as it involves people, but if devils or anything remotely Satanic enters the picture, people flip out and can't hang. Go figure...sorry for the long ass post, and it's not as if I condone bootlegging on the whole, don't get me wrong. But sometimes, what other choice do we fans have? Any input on this matter from ya'll?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1