• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-06-27]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
I liked the Haruhi series simply because the change in order for the episodes; it had that feeling like it was going somewhere with its disjointed structure. But when released in America, the only way to see the broadcast version was to buy the expensive editions. Not to mention, like Memento and that really bad movie I can't remember the name of, it loses its impact after the first viewing.

Yuki's still my favorite character though. And frankly, the show's merit comes from character conventions.

Last edited by prime_pm on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:39 am Reply with quote
For me, Episode 00 was the reason I KEPT watching TMoHS; at first I was like, "Dude, what the crap am I watching??", but as it went on, I figured out what was going on and laughed my butt off. It just worked for me on every level. I even showed it to friends who aren't that into anime, and they found it to be equally hilarious.

Quote:
Confession: I'm not a fan of groping as comedy gold, or bunny girl costumes; so I was pretty sure I was not the target audience.

The beauty of TMoHS is that it mocks those anime conventions just by the mere fact of using them. I found it to be comedy genius.

In short, yes, I do consider it to be a masterpiece, and I eagerly await the next season. Very Happy

Quote:
It reminded me of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy in its glib approach to science fiction and its put upon main character.

This is exactly what I thought of as well. Perfect comparison. Wink
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quote
Even though I really don't like sports anime, I'm looking forward to Funimation's release of Ookiku Furikabutte. Someone who had seen it says they put more emphasis on teamwork than other sports-animes do, which is important to me (can't win the game by yourself, after all).

I too hope that the con atmosphere is still overall optimistic this year, since it'll be my first con, Ikasucon, now that I've finally found friends who also watch anime, so we're going together.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm going to cautiously predict that the only people who might announce anything at AX this year will be Funimation.

I would be really surprised if Bandai doesn't announce something at AX as well.

And on a side note while I am not a big fan of sports anime or even interested in baseball I loved Ookiku Furikabutte. The sports aspect was done well but it was the characters that kept me coming back. So I definitely plan to pick up Funimation's release of the show when it is available.
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:58 am Reply with quote
Wait so soccer and football are 'rousing' now?

lolz.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
And did anyone else search on Hiropon knowing they were going to regret it anyway?

Yep.

What's more sad is I have friends I think might like My Lonely Cowboy... Shocked Laughing
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
I will say right now that sports, themselves, hold very little interest for me.

But I friggin' love sports manga.

It makes me really sad that the genre isn't more popular stateside, making series rarely licensed and hard to find.

Maybe *crosses fingers* someday more of America will love comics, and sporty people will be a group that gets marketed to . . . so I can mooch off of them! x3
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Viz will probably hold everything until San Diego Comiccon, which would fit in line with their strategy of doing everything at Comiccon instead of AX or Otakon, even though the audience that might actually care about any of their merchandise outside of Naruto will be attending AX and Otakon en masse.

Strange.
I wasn't the only person buying Saint Seiya dolls off that Bay Area dealer last year. I saw an awful lot of FMA cosplayers a couple yrs back & Bleach has had a decent showing for awhile. I've seen Chocolate Misu, Excel, tons of InuYasha & Kagome, a nice Hellsing set last year, Kerero....
There is a decent amount of anime fans every year at Comic-con. The wonderful thing about Comic-con is by covering multiple art forms centered on comic books (and isn't manga technically Japanese comic books?) & fantasy they pull in about 100,000 people. With Kubo coming this year, I expect the lineup will start decidedly early. Viz & Funi tend to run a pretty packed panel room.

Why wouldn't Viz make their presence known at the largest comic book convention in the US? It makes more sense than AX which is specifically aimed at one portion (often hardcore, yes) of the audience, but they have them already, don't they? People who like Bleach can like American comics, can't they? Anime fans seem pretty up-to-date on the various Hollywood flicks. Not all gamers hate anime. Viz stands a chance of hitting a larger audience at Comic-con. Their bags are legendary. That line gets closed almost as quickly as it's opened. I've just taken to buying something from them to get one every year for the last couple yrs rather than deal with the giveaway line. That's not just anime fans.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
What an extensive list of requests this week. Here I go.
Quote:
Go outside!

I went to the park today.
Quote:
See an important movie you never got around to!

Beverly Hills Cop was on the TV a few days ago.
Quote:
Call your mother!

I'm living in her house.
Quote:
Take your spouse out for a nice dinner!

Don't have a spouse. I might go to the curry house though.
Quote:
Get a checkup!

I also phoned the dentist.
Quote:
Plant a garden!

The park will suffice.
Quote:
Do something else

I picked some dandelions for the rabbit at the aforementioned park.
And I'm done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Roy9076

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I been attending AX for quite sometime and I do get a "vibe" of the grim industry status. Whatever happens, there is going to be an announcement. I have a feeling that ADV is going to announce something as well. VIZ will most likely announce something different, but not too big. Overall, AX is going to be different. Lets see what happens. Also, I laughed at the Mortal Kombat bit.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Quote:
I'm going to cautiously predict that the only people who might announce anything at AX this year will be Funimation.
I would be really surprised if Bandai doesn't announce something at AX as well.
Also:
AoD's front page & forums wrote:
Nozomi To Announce Two Licenses? (08:20 AM EDT): In his weekly sale updates for Right Stuf, Nozomi's Shawne Kleckner adds a fun little bit to the end where he hints mysteriously about various titles they're seeking. This weeks update has changed slightly to indicate that we should be seeing two announcements at Anime Expo:

# Xpo Number 1.
# Xpo Number 2.
# The Dark Lord's Binge continues with this one, which is looking good.
# Wow.. it's a title that will be great for us! Will it be in time?
# A new Paradise with this title, finished and waiting for materials...
# And if this last thing goes through, everyone will cheer. Hopefully my hard work will pay off.

Nozomi Entertainment has announced two licenses earlier in the year with Maria-sama ga Miteru in March and Aria in May. These series are being released in July and September respectively.
Quote:
Personally, I believe there's also an odd social element to why sports anime rarely (if ever) see success in America; part of the stereotypical image many self-identified nerds cling to is the notion that they are not interested in sports and instead prefer video games or roleplaying or, you know, anime to a rousing game of football or soccer. They're the nerds, and the jocks play sports, so an anime about jocks playing sports might be a turn-off; I don't know how subconscious this is or how big a factor it really is in terms of the popularity of sports anime, but it seems obvious to me.
I've long thought the same thing about sports anime's lack of success over here. I'm guessing that the jocks vs. nerds "war" isn't as prevalent in Japan, possibly because their club participation rules cause most kids to play a sport at some point. In my own case, I don't hate sports, but I'm not terribly interested in them either. Part of that comes from living in the Great American Sports Desert between Kansas City and Denver. Aside from local college teams, it's not easy to get emotionally invested while watching any given game. But I do plan on giving some sports anime a chance, as it's one of the few subgenres that I don't have much experience with.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
I've long thought the same thing about sports anime's lack of success over here. I'm guessing that the jocks vs. nerds "war" isn't as prevalent in Japan, possibly because their club participation rules cause most kids to play a sport at some point.

Just from my limited experience, Japan has a pretty prevalent 'not good at sports' tease ratio as well. In fact, the more mandatory athletic club requirements (compared to here) tend to make this fear worse, and Japan's adolescent teasing scene is like the world Heavyweight champ of nasty taunting to begin with. I think the mere fact that manga hits a (relatively) broader audiences than US comics (which mostly cater to male fantasy/sci-fi/horror crowds) entails you'll see more 'everyday' things like sports material. 'American' sports like football also carry an exotic 'aggressive' chic in Japan, and I wonder if even non-sports kids see that type of material outside of the way they may look at something like baseball.

I tend to think Zac's answer on why sports material doesn't cross over here is accurate. I played football through High School and most of those guys didn't want to kick back watching 'Ninja Scroll', 'Golgo 13' and the Street Fighter movie; and the bulk of my friends who did enjoy anime didn't want anything to do with sports. The whole 'social element' angle the column briefly touched on is interesting, because I think anime /manga is, for a good portion, absolutely tethered to niche 'social elements'.

A story vehicle like 'Moe' overtakes the older 90's masculine T&A style of the past based on 'social elements'. As younger, high-school age 'Otaku' replaces the relatively older crowd of the past, overt physical characterizations/antics can make the shy, socially-awkward adolescent 'otaku' base feel insecure. Presto, we get today's 'Moe'. It's still an inherently boy-meets-girl relationship/sexual (used loosely) archetype, but instead of the outgoing, gravity defying gals of yesterday we get much more physically toned-down, 'emotional' roles. The little sister, the shy maid/bookworm, the tough girl who's' really frighted inside, the ditzy childhood friend who you promised to marry as a child, etc. Character types who fit into a weak (often passive) emotional role that seems a lot less threatening/more appealing to shy adolescents who probably respond to feeling 'strong' to someone. This theme could be fleshed out a bit more, but that's taking thing heavy in OT land. Suffice to say, the 'social element' lens is pretty interesting way of looking at specific anime, and what it reflects about it's viewership. It can reflect some fun/quirky things about the audience, and other things maybe not so good.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:

Character types who fit into a weak (often passive) emotional role that seems a lot less threatening/more appealing to shy adolescents who probably respond to feeling 'strong' to someone. This theme could be fleshed out a bit more, but that's taking thing heavy in OT land. Suffice to say, the 'social element' lens is pretty interesting way of looking at specific anime, and what it reflects about it's viewership. It can reflect some fun/quirky things about the audience, and other things maybe not so good.

I don't know if this is true for all sports anime but what is interesting about Oofuri is the characters don't fit your American high school jock stereotype at all. In fact the main character is exactly how you describe. He is timid and not self confident at all. Then there is the guy on the team who appears tough but is really very caring underneath. None of the boys on the team come off as popular., but they are all sort of awkward first year students who love baseball.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I find the concept of sports anime sort of strange.
Why not watch a couple of live human beings play tennis rather than Prince of Tennis? Most kids I know interested in basketball would rather go out & play rather than watch a cartoon of it, plus we have enough of the game on tv.
Do we really have sports cartoons here? I don't keep track
I remember the Harlem Globetrotters-did they have a cartoon or just guest on Scoobie Doo? I don't recall much basketball involved.
It seems so much easier to just pay some actors to do a live action version of any given sports (Bad News Bears, etc) than the time & effort it takes to animate something.

It's sort of the hentai argument one sees where anime fans who enjoy hentai enjoy hentai, but other fans can't see what the hey someone can see in a 2-D female. It seems the people who want to see sports shows find it easier to relate to live people.

Or maybe it's just the fact one can find real human beings(maybe medically enhanced) playing pretty much anyone's favorite sport 24/7 thanks to cable tv.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I personally can't say anything fair at all about Haruhi, seeing as how I've yet to see it. Anime smile + sweatdrop (and yes, that's another confession, but you don't have to strike it up as one Wink ) But what I will say about it is that on the outside, it really looks like the farthest thing possible from the kind of series I'd like. Despite that fact though, from all the hype it seems to get and from the things I've heard about it to justify it's hype, not to mention there seems to be a TON of people out there with very much the same tastes as me who seem to love it quite a bit themselves, I've decided that it's definitely a series I'm going to have to check out one of these times, if only just to see what all the hype is about. And at that I'm definitely going to be very careful so as not to actually buy it at first, but give it some sort of a preview somehow before deciding I want to buy it. From certain things I hear about it though, I actually do like what I hear and I also think there's no doubt that it's clear I shouldn't judge the book simply by it's cover here.

As just a speculated prediction though, I'd say it's more than likely not going to get a masterpiece out of me though. No matter what I hear about it it just doesn't strike me as a masterpiece-esque series, or at least not by what I consider it to be anyways. But even then, you never know, even that part of it seems to be unpredictable. After all, I did rate FLCL and Baccano both masterpieces. Wink I guess the way I see it, even if it's just slightly emotionally powerful, if it has a ton of other amazing things about it it still has at least somewhat an outside shot at getting a masterpiece out of me. (and even then, I'm still wondering whether or not those said series should be Excellent instead....... )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6