• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-06-27]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I bought and watched all the haruhi series. Initially, i thought it was a mostly forgettable series ( except for one scene in the second to the last episode, during the school festival, the concert was awesome). In fact, i had initially watched the first episode, i didn't even want to see the rest of it.

However, after watching a second time out of boredom, i had a change of heart. No, it isn't a masterpiece in the same vein as Hinatori or Evangelion ( i say master piece in the sense that either the creator or series had a lasting impact on anime fandom, regardless of whether it was a good or bad influence ). However, i think that if you look at from the view of being a parody of everything that anime fans hold dear, the animation quality, and the fact that it never actually degenerates into some pathetic harem series ( there are good ones, but i'm not going to name them, and there are bad ones, like Clannad). Haruhi is an interesting set of contradictions, especially later in the series, and her character clearly makes progress from beginning to end. Also, since AWO didn't actually call this an especially horrible series, I think that it is a good series ( for me, AWO (Anime World Order) is the metric i use to determine what's good and what's bad, since they don't seem to like very many more recent series, and recently, I can't say i blame them).

As for sports manga, I think the problem is that sports is very big in America, and all the pretentious sports fanatics look at these series and point out what is wrong with the way the sports is potrayed. In fact, these sort of series are more about character development rather then the sport itself. For example, Bamboo Blade, to me, was an excellent series, not for the kendo, but because you can watch how Tamaki grows from a sort of introvert to someone who gains friends and enjoys life more.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
abstract-alchemist wrote:
.... and the fact that it never actually degenerates into some pathetic harem series ( there are good ones, but i'm not going to name them, and there are bad ones, like Clannad).

Uhhh, not to go off topic, but how the heck did you classify Clannad as a harem series?
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Go outside!

Check! Spent much of the afternoon taking a walk and sitting on the back deck.

Quote:
See an important movie you never got around to!

Check! Saw 'Kung Fu Panda' today, which shows there are some people in Hollywood who truly--or at least mostly--'get' kung fu cinema and what makes it work.

Quote:
Call your mother!

Check! Mind you, she called me first and left a message, so I was just returning her call, but it still counts!

Quote:
Take your spouse out for a nice dinner!

Will do so later this weekend with my (common-law) spouse, particularly to congratulate her for some good news from work.

Quote:
Get a checkup!

That's a lot harder to do on the weekend, but I'll at least try to get some allergy shots next week.

Quote:
Plant a garden!

Can't, as the landlord handles the garden for this house, but I'll tend to the potted plants as best I can.

Quote:
Do something else

Check! I went out for coffee. Doesn't count as going outside because I went inside the coffee shop for it, for a change, as it was just too plain hot outdoors at the time.

Oh, another 'something else' I'll do is, fittingly, watch anime, as a new episode of 'Death Note' comes on in about eight minutes .....
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
But what I will say about [The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya] is that on the outside, it really looks like the farthest thing possible from the kind of series I'd like.

How's that?

As for my opinion of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, I share the same sentiments as penguintruth (in addition to liking four of the five main cast members; really enjoying the first episode, easily prefering chronological order over broadcast; and not understanding how merely referencing anime tropes makes the series a satire):

penguintruth wrote:
When I first read the premise of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, here on ANN in one of the seasonal previews, I didn't think much of it- it seemed like just another "wacky hijinks" school anime with typical fanservice. When I watched the first episode, I was even less impressed, because of the way they began the show, taking that episode at face value. I was somehow spurred onto continuing to watch by word of mouth and found msyelf drawn in by the interesting take on the school show, involving jabs at the genre of science fiction and little chunks of light philosophy. It's what makes the show more than just some generic fan service show. It reminded me of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy in its glib approach to science fiction and its put upon main character.

Unique, funny, and entirely memorable.

Masterpiece? Eh, not quite. But damn fine watching.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
How's that?

Well really, pretty much most anything who's central focus is within the shoujo-ish/girl-ish/moe-ish/high school hijinks-ish areas or whatever just simply isn't within my tastes. That doesn't mean I won't watch it or like it, it just means that on the outside, just looking at the cover like I said and not knowing anything else about it, it just looks like something I wouldn't like. But if there's more to the table than just that, which from what I hear I'm sure there is with Haruhi, then I'm probably more likely to not only watch it, but like it as well.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Well really, pretty much most anything who's central focus is within the shoujo-ish/girl-ish/moe-ish/high school hijinks-ish areas or whatever just simply isn't within my tastes.

Yeah, I could see that; I'm the same way (except I read and enjoy the occasional shoujo).

Considering Bandai is releasing a box set (not a usual brick, I think?) next month, I think that would be an opportune time to check the series out. I highly recommend doing so; I've watched it through three times (first as it came out; second as the DVDs were released ; third a DVD a day) and have enjoyed it more with each successive viewing. It's conceptually and character driven with little emphasis on plot, so the re-watch value for the series is excellent.

I'm pretty sure you'd like it.
JnxCsc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
scortia wrote:
Don't feel bad, I own the soundtrack.

Chesty La'Rou wrote:
Wow I thought I was the only one who owned and liked that song...

Oh thank God! I am not alone!
Shousetsuka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm really happy about Ookiku Furikabutte actually. I watched it while I was in Japan last year, and I will say it piqued my interest in Japanese baseball. Which was good since baseball is like the national Japanese pastime. Made for good conversation, I'll say. Besides, I don't think Oofuri is your typical shounen sports anime with an overly-cocky brat as the main character. I for one will be buying the DVDs when they come out, and it'll be nice to see it in English this time around!

I've never been to a con that wasn't driven by the fans. I remember Answerman once made the comparison that Western cons are more industry-driven, while Eastern cons are more fan-driven. I'm not worried about the con scene this year, but then again, I won't be in America. I'm takin' names for my Japanese cons, oh yeah!

That bunny is too cute for words. I wish I had a pet that cute. *pokes her fat dog*
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
I'll admit that I couldn't care less about sports, but its definately possible to make something good based on a sport. I mean, just look at "Angels in the Outfield."

Wait. I'm supposed to look at it and do what?

Kidding aside, out of all of the sports movies made over the decades, you point to Angels in the Outfield? Unless you mean for 'kids' movie because that's what shonen is, young boys entertainment. I haven't seen it since I was a kid, might have it on VHS, but I do remember liking it as a kid.

Quote:
And did anyone else search on Hiropon knowing they were going to regret it anyway?

Regret it? I bought the figure! Okay, not the 15 million dollar figure, but I did buy a 2400 yen box figure from a hobby store in Japan. I also own his art book and have a framed print of his hanging in my room. It's Mr DOB sitting on a bunch of eye ball mushrooms. I got them when I saw Murakami speak at a local art museum that had an exhibit on him. Almost got an autograph, but he had to leave.

NSFW picture I took of my Hiropon figure here. (This okay?)

I have to laugh a bit at the letter. Not only are they whining about something they don't understand being gross, but they don't even spell the artist's name right and even say "their gross" instead of "they're". Answerman's reply was dead on. As much as I think Warhol and some of his pop art movement is overrated, I really enjoy Murakami's work and commentary on otaku culture infiltrating the upper crust art world. Hell, that itself if brilliantly hilarious.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
I do not find it particularly surprising that a work that satirizes Otaku culture and tastes is misunderstood by the people whom it attempts to satirize.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote
It was actually my love of baseball that made me interested in Oofuri in the first place. I feel that it accurately portrays the sport-none of the super-special-awesome-sauce-impossible-in-real-life moves that plague other sports anime. That said, I do enjoy Prince of Tennis and Eyeshield 21's over-the-topness, though I only occasionally watch tennis and really don't like football.

As someone said previously, none of the characters fit a jock stereotype. The main character, Mihashi, is more like Shinji Ikari than Alex Rodriguez (yes, I hate the Yankees). That "all for me", macho thing doesn't really fit well in the uniformity, balance, and teamwork obsessed Japanese society.

I love those figurines! So over the top and funny. The sad thing is, I've seen more doujinshi like that then I can count. I actually came across a doujinshi last night where Orihime from Bleach was a futanari and it was...interesting, to say the least Shocked

I love Haruhi and think it is one of the most clever series I've seen, but I can't call it a masterpiece. If it still holds up in ten years like Evangelion does, then maybe. But I couldn't call it one now...
cenorig

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Chi Lihn D on Haruhi
Quote:
So, essentially what I'm saying is this: the anime may not be groundbreaking, but the sense of community that was fostered from the anime was.

I can't explain it but I have a feeling the community is not the same as it was before Haruhi (atleast on the Internet).
And we get things like Hare Hare Yukai Worldwide.

I don't think Haruhi is a masterpiece but it sure is fun. I've even watched it twice and i rarely have time or will to rewatch an entire series.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Whether or not Haruhi is a "masterpiece" depends entirely on how you define masterpiece. To put it simply, I think Melancholy of Haruhi is this generation's "Project A-Ko". And while I personally think "Project A-Ko" is a classic, I don't know that I would in any way call it a "masterpiece".

As for sports anime not being as big in the US... I agree with the social dynamic people have commented on. It probably is worth mentioning that many of the sports anime are for sports that aren't all THAT popular in the US anyway. (Eyeshield 21 is an exception (the only American football manga I know of) and note many people in this thread noted they like it, Tennis OTOH is not hugely popular, nor is Soccer, Baseball is debatable, altho one COULD argue that Japanese and Americans diverge wildly on what's best about baseball)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
For sports anime, there is one I would love to see all of called Dragon League, but I hear there's no fansub of it anywhere. I only own the first VHS of it and can't locate any other possible ones (and I'm hooked on it already). It's an old one though, so I guess it's not like it'll get anyone's interest these days.

For Haruhi, well the only thing I seem to like about it is Hare Hare Yukai and any parodies of said song. I don't really think I'll get into the show much at all.

Amen to that, Project A-Ko was one of the funniest and most action-packed anime I'd seen back on Sci-Fi's late night/morning anime runs. I still need to get one of the OVAs though.
Showsni

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Masterpiece: "a piece of work produced by a craftsman in order to be admitted to a guild as an acknowledged master."
So, no. It's not a masterpiece. Not much is, these days.

Or maybe it's "the greatest work of a particular artist, writer, etc." In which case, probably yes. Though I haven't read anything else of Nagaru Tanigawa's, Haruhi probably is his masterpiece. (Thus far).

Overrated? Maybe, maybe not. I really enjoy it, though.

I don't think I've seen any sports animes (unless ballet counts), though when it comes to Western cartoons I did really like the Hurricanes,despite not caring for football much. (Storm time's coming to you today!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6