• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toaru Majutsu no Index Producer: 26-Episode Anime Costs 300 Million Yen

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
...3 mil to make a 3rd season seems reasonable enough and I highly doubt It will flounder being one of the best sellers in japan but who knows... spoiler[The whole wwIII arc with arc angel Michale, Gabriel, the falling star of Bethlehem and accelerator transcending the human race into an angel to save last order might be to much for the average fans to take.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
My god that is a depressingly small number.

I mean, to put it in perspective, that would almost cover half of the annual salery for one Simpsons' cast member!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting. Index II definitely made them money though. Using even low estimations, it still puts it at 600 million yen gross from just BD/DVD sales (15000 copies * 8 volumes * 5000 yen).

Still though, this does make me wonder just how much money JC Staff is losing on Shana III. The pre-order numbers thus far look awful for it. And I imagine it has around the same budget as Index had.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Hmm, interesting. Index II definitely made them money though. Using even low estimations, it still puts it at 600 million yen gross from just BD/DVD sales (15000 copies * 8 volumes * 5000 yen).

Still though, this does make me wonder just how much money JC Staff is losing on Shana III. The pre-order numbers thus far look awful for it. And I imagine it has around the same budget as Index had.

hmm perhaps or maybe it's due in part that male lead grew pair and it's not the typical otaku pandering show besides with rie "i love her but eh" and most anime do only have around 3.4 million usa that would be over 200million yen so it would be eh... the average ep does cost around 150,000 to make after all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Weren't both seasons of Majutsu no Index 24 episodes o-o? were their OVA's or something
Volibear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

i imagine SnS has had some sort of decline in fanbase in recent years, now down to just those who've read it or die-hard fans cause from the early popularity polls i saw(4-6 episodes) it was ranked really low, like early 20's out of about 28/29 series
although i can understand why, i myself have lost interest in the series now, got just over half way through S2 before i gave up and lost interest, partly because i wouldn't get the final ending if i continued watching a not so great series(first series was far better than what i watched to II)
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

I mean, to put it in perspective, that would almost cover half of the annual salery for one Simpsons' cast member!

To be fair, The Simpsons generates much more revenue. I imagine Midori Kato and Mayumi Tanaka make more per episode than Rina Satou.

Flash is relatively cheap to animate in, isn't it? What was the budget for MLP:FiM season one?

And finally, if the information therein is accurate, this chart is relevant.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

People at every level of making an anime are disgustingly under-paid. I'd hate to see how expensive discs would get if Japanese animators/VAs got comparable pay rates.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I wonder, where do these animators come up with this amount of cash? Even in Japan, I can't really imagine any bank just shelling out 300 Million Yen on the spot.

Although the price to make this anime is somewhat substantial, I just wonder if this is all given in one shot or in short amounts?

I'll say this much, given the amount of money that is spent, one can only hope this makes even more revenue in return and is successful, because I failure could could some massive debt to raked up.

I wonder though, are the same people who watch Simpsons would be willing to give anime a chance and or already watch anime?
Leebo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
1945113 wrote:
Weren't both seasons of Majutsu no Index 24 episodes o-o? were their OVA's or something

It sounds to me that he's talking about the average cost for 26 episode series, not about a specific series.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Assuming that there are 12-13 BR volumes in a 2-cour series and each BR costs ~7000-10000 yen, then the break-even line ranges from 2,300 to 3,500 average BR sales. Of course, some shows like Nichijou have way higher budget than Index.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

I wonder though, are the same people who watch Simpsons would be willing to give anime a chance and or already watch anime?

I imagine that The Simpsons' audience is filled with a number of different people, from those who generally dislike animation to animation junkies studying film. Of course, the series' quality has been going downhill for awhile, so perhaps my words apply more to the glory days. Most people I talk to these days either don't watch it, watch the old episodes, or catch it if it happens to be on and they have nothing to do. It's also worth keeping in mind that The Simpsons aims for a general audience and utilizes a comedic family sitcom-esque nature, rather than science fiction, fantasy, mecha, etc.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Assuming that there are 12-13 BR volumes in a 2-cour series and each BR costs ~7000-10000 yen, then the break-even line ranges from 2,300 to 3,500 average BR sales. Of course, some shows like Nichijou have way higher budget than Index.

That would be the Manabi line. Around 3000 minimum usually
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
People at every level of making an anime are disgustingly under-paid.

Well, maybe not all.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I wonder, where do these animators come up with this amount of cash? Even in Japan, I can't really imagine any bank just shelling out 300 Million Yen on the spot.

Producers like the Sony-owned Aniplex or the NBCUniversal-owned Geneon. They're always credited under "Production" somewhere. Looks like different producers might pay for different parts, if I'm understanding the credits right -- MBS is most often credited as "Broadcaster," Starchild Records as "Music Production."

Ermat_46 wrote:

Don't forget BR production/shipping/etc. costs.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
...3 mil to make a 3rd season seems reasonable enough and I highly doubt It will flounder being one of the best sellers in japan but who knows...

I hope you're right. Because I'm already obsessed with it, and want to buy it RIGHT NOW. Season one was very cool, but season 2 is absolutely Blowing. Me. Away.

I'm amazed at how much it costs, and also that while the success is viewed as a team effort, a monetary failure is placed solely on the director's shoulders. Fascinating, though also depressing. I'd say Mr. Nakayama has done a phenomenal job thus far, and I'll be eagerly looking into his other projects.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3