• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Rurouni Kenshin Anime's Part I Promo Video Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
config: Aniplex probably has first dibs on a re-release.
Yoshi18

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The new anime series will remake the Kyoto story arc of Nobuhiro Watsuki's original manga and the previous anime adaptation. In particular, it will depict the battle of Kenshin Himura and Makoto Shishio and will be told from the point of view of the Oniwabanshū ninja Misao Makimachi.

What?

When did Misao become the interesting character that we needed to know what she though of the whole thing? Wasn't this Kenshin's story? Or is it because they intend to keep him a mistery for the new audience, and Misao will be the audience avatar?[/i]
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
Think if the 2 OVAs eps of Shin Kyoto Hen do well then the final arc might be animated later on. I just hope that the japanese BD release will contain English sub. This way I can buy them once they are released without having to wait for a US release.
The American Average

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Love it can't wait! have my fingers crossed for an America dub release
Yuxing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Waves of nostalgia hit me when I saw that trailer. The music, the voices... can't wait to see this!
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Everyone needs to remember, the only way they'll be making a proper Jinchu arc, is if:
A) The BluRay's of these 2 OAV's sell well
B) The merchandising sells well (CD's, Games, Toys, Candy, etc)
C) The risk factor is low that they won't lose money on another production of RK.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Confused The art kinda weirds me out for some reason, especially Soujiro.

Ahh that nostalgic music!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad Hirotaka Suzuoki passed a few years back and can't be Hajime Saitou. Sad

I guess Ken Narita is taking over another Suzuoki role (he also took over Bright Noa for Gundam Unicorn.)

I think continuing to have a woman as Kenshin is just fine. It fits with his feminine appearance and gentle nature. I also think Masako Nozawa as adult Goku works, though, so maybe this is just me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
*FLAILING* THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME. Very Happy
Fyndra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:10 am Reply with quote
I still think that this looks weird; especially Saito who resembles a gorilla or something Very Happy

Btw, the music is epic, even after 15 years Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GoldenAvenger7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I too am very excited for this. It's one of the best stories ever written IMHO, and redoing the Kyoto arc with updated animation from the perspective of a different character sounds like an interesting decision. I am a little disappointed that Hirotaka Suzuoki is not returning as Hajime Saitou's seiyuu, but if that is the lowest point of this movie, then I have high hopes for this project.

As for those out there that are debating the Jinchuu arc, this was the one arc Watsuki wrote that while pretty good, did not live up to the Kyoto arc. Some parts were just plain predictable (i.e. the guards scene on Enishi's island). So while I can see why they condensed and revised it for "Reflection," I didn't mind it that much. It was not the ending I liked for Kenshin, but I found it interesting; especially the Kenji/Yahiko duel (unfortunately brief). I would like to state however, with some slight revisions to the Jinchuu arc, I would be very excited to see it produced next.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
I mean, it's the same guy that directed Le Chevalier D'Eon and Welcome to the NHK

I'm pretty sure Furuhashi didn't have anything to do with Welcome to the NHK.

I like how so many people condemn Reflections as "garbage", "disgraceful", etc. when its cardinal sin was not being faithful to the source material. (OMG!!!)

Yoshi18 wrote:
When did Misao become the interesting character that we needed to know what she though of the whole thing? Wasn't this Kenshin's story? Or is it because they intend to keep him a mistery for the new audience, and Misao will be the audience avatar?

Yeah, I'm guessing they're using her to frame the story because she's the first character to meet Kenshin in this arc who doesn't already know him, and will thus have the same level of familiarity with him and his friends as newcomers seeing this OVA. Still seems like a strange decision though, considering how much of the Kyoto arc she isn't present for (up to and including the climax).

penguintruth wrote:
I think continuing to have a woman as Kenshin is just fine. It fits with his feminine appearance and gentle nature. I also think Masako Nozawa as adult Goku works, though, so maybe this is just me.

I don't like the dub either, but no. Casting a woman as Kenshin was never a good idea (he's supposed to be a 30-year-old man, for chrissakes), and in fact having a far more appropriate voice for Kenshin is the one thing the dub has going for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:32 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's too bad Hirotaka Suzuoki passed a few years back and can't be Hajime Saitou. Sad

I guess Ken Narita is taking over another Suzuoki role (he also took over Bright Noa for Gundam Unicorn.)

I know, his role of Saito was the role i got to know him before watching Gundam 0079. Well i am glad that Ken Narita is taking over the role for:

1) His voice tone is very similar to Suzuoki.

2) He had a chat with Suzuoki san (long time ago) about his role of Saito and he told him how he liked his role in voicing the character. These were Narita's words during the Talk show held in August 20th before the all night screening of the OVAs and Movie at at Cinema Sunshine , Ikebukuro.
Umino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
This anime holds a special place in my heart as it brought a lot of my older friends together. Seeing a remake with awesome animation is gonna be legendary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2