• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Reportedly Suspends 4 DVD Titles Indefinitely

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:07 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Well, all I can do is sit back, relax and be a total jerk at everyone who was gullible enough to buy Kannon.

jr0904 wrote:
this doesnt boathe well for everyone involved.including fansubs and those youtube and veoh posters cause if adv goes belly hop,it's the end of fansubs period.

I find that hard to belive, regardless of certain companies starting with T's efforts to screw us over a second time.

well not all of them at least but yeah. it has common and who you have to blame for it. 1: japaneese licensors that make it expensive as hell but the real reason for the collaspe is like i said before the fansubs and illegal posting on sites like youtube and veoh.if ADV's collaspe and Geneon's downfall don't make this problem go away,then the US anime industry is screwed over big time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RX78-2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Well, all I can do is sit back, relax and be a total jerk at everyone who was gullible enough to buy Kannon.

jr0904 wrote:
this doesnt boathe well for everyone involved.including fansubs and those youtube and veoh posters cause if adv goes belly hop,it's the end of fansubs period.

I find that hard to belive, regardless of certain companies starting with T's efforts to screw us over a second time.

well not all of them at least but yeah. it has common and who you have to blame for it. 1: japaneese licensors that make it expensive as hell but the real reason for the collaspe is like i said before the fansubs and illegal posting on sites like youtube and veoh.if ADV's collaspe and Geneon's downfall don't make this problem go away,then the US anime industry is screwed over big time.

Whats your proof on that. Yeah some companies are having it rough. Funimation is doing a great job. If they bring the same titles that once Geneon and ADV brought. Who cares what companies bring out the animes. As long as we get it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Xanas:
Quote:
Funimation has done a pretty good job, I would say I'm loyal to Funimation. ADV, not so much.

Not if you want to finish Kodocha or Conan and hear their original music.. Or if you want to see DBZ with a good picture, and not a cropped one...
RX78-2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Xanas:
Quote:
Funimation has done a pretty good job, I would say I'm loyal to Funimation. ADV, not so much.

Not if you want to finish Kodocha or Conan and hear their original music.. Or if you want to see DBZ with a good picture, and not a cropped one...

Yeah their(Funi) earlier productions of shows like Conan, DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho werent true to their Japanese version. Look at their new works. If you want to complain about Funimation. ADV wasnt true with Air Gears dubbing. The dialogue was not the same. Just like Geneon was not true to Chobits when they dubbed the show.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Xanas:
Quote:

In Funimations defense, it wasn't their fault that Kodocha didn't get released with the original first opening. There was licensing problems regarding the song, and they couldn't get the rights to use it. Totally out of their hands.
But I agree, I wish someone would release the rest of Kodocha. I'm having a hard time finding the fansubs of the rest of the series.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Funimation had done the same with the music on DBZ as well originally (and I actually am thankful for that, since I much prefer the Falconer music personally). I like to have options on the DVD and I understand your wanting to keep it that way particularly if you saw the fansubs.

As for the cropping issue I will only say that at least Funimation had an explanation for that that made some sense concerning the amount of noise in the content. I think the actual DVD picture they have, despite being cropped, is relatively good quality and lacks a lot of encoding artifacts I see in other series. It's certainly better than Rurouni Kenshin or numerous other series I've purchased in terms of artifacting in the encode. I think only at the beginning is it very weak. Given the time of production I really have no reason to disbelieve their explanation. I'd rather have a quality picture with cropping than no crop and a lot of artifacts.

It's not like Funimation has been doing this constantly on every new show either, so I don't have any reason to believe they are lying.
Crawly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I'd rather have a quality picture with cropping than no crop and a lot of artifacts.

I know you don't really believe Funi cropped the picture to make it look better. The cropping was a stunt to make it sell better because the average person buying the set thinks all things are supposed to look like that now because TV's are widescreen. They don't understand the concept of original aspect ratio. The artifact clean-up was done independently of the cropping, not as a result of it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Went to FYE today, all ADV DVD's were half price, and they had the ADV buy 2 get 1 free special on top of that.

Looks like ADV has lost the retailers confidence, and they are unloading ADV stock.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Went to FYE today, all ADV DVD's were half price, and they had the ADV buy 2 get 1 free special on top of that.

Looks like ADV has lost the retailers confidence, and they are unloading ADV stock.
If Best Buy did the same thing, then I'd get worried.

Crawly wrote:
Xanas wrote:
I'd rather have a quality picture with cropping than no crop and a lot of artifacts.

I know you don't really believe Funi cropped the picture to make it look better. The cropping was a stunt to make it sell better because the average person buying the set thinks all things are supposed to look like that now because TV's are widescreen. They don't understand the concept of original aspect ratio. The artifact clean-up was done independently of the cropping, not as a result of it.
Funi does whatever they want to DBZ, but don't count on them doing anything stupid with the new shows they have. They can't afford to mess those up. Funi also did the widescreen so they wouldn't have to license the Dragonbox masters. Look at how that turned out....
Jus10

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
So far Best Buy hasn't put any of their ADV products on any kind of sell, as a matter of fact they just ended their sell on their Welcome to the NHK DVDs.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
RX:
Quote:
If you want to complain about Funimation. ADV wasnt true with Air Gears dubbing. The dialogue was not the same.

Fair enough, but at least ADV keeps the credits.

Quark:
Quote:

In Funimations defense, it wasn't their fault that Kodocha didn't get released with the original first opening. There was licensing problems regarding the song, and they couldn't get the rights to use it. Totally out of their hands.

True, but if it's going to be their next cash-cow, I imagine they'd try a little harder to get those rights, considering that the music makes or breaks

Tars: I imagine the sales have more to do with them getting rid of old ADV stuff, in anticipation for the FUNimation re-releases. Personally, I'm kind of tempted to get a copy of DMC 2, just to flip off Gen.
astroasis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
I said about a year ago on these forums that ADV was dying a slow and painful death. Everybody said I was being too hard on them. So consider this a totally obscure "I told you so" from someone you totally don't remember or care about. There. I feel a little better now.

What REALLY makes me mad about them is that they keep dumping and suspending titles... and then they keep negotiating for MORE. Why? So they can dump and suspend them, too? The anime buying crowd wants dependability. They don't want to shell out $25 a DVD just to be left with 20-50% of a series. Then someone else has the license and you either have to rebuy the stuff or have a collection that's half ADV and half some-other-guy.

As a consumer, I lost my faith in their products awhile back. I'm not surprised that retailers are now doing the same.

That ship is sinking. Get off while you can.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

The ADV 2 for 1 deal has been going on for quite a while. And I noticed the half off deal at Suncoast starting about 2 weeks ago. FYE runs specials on anime all the time. It use to run specials on Geneon titles all the time, and still does on Funi titles from time to time. Also, these deals are usually sponsored by the distributor, as are the ones at Best Buy (the recent NHK deals.)

And other than the Sojitz titles, I don't recall a time where ADV suspended a series, then restarted it later, or didn't restart it at all. And it seems the recent problems had less to do with them and more to do with their partner.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
astroasis wrote:
I said about a year ago on these forums that ADV was dying a slow and painful death. Everybody said I was being too hard on them. So consider this a totally obscure "I told you so" from someone you totally don't remember or care about. There. I feel a little better now.

What REALLY makes me mad about them is that they keep dumping and suspending titles... and then they keep negotiating for MORE. Why? So they can dump and suspend them, too? The anime buying crowd wants dependability. They don't want to shell out $25 a DVD just to be left with 20-50% of a series. Then someone else has the license and you either have to rebuy the stuff or have a collection that's half ADV and half some-other-guy.

As a consumer, I lost my faith in their products awhile back. I'm not surprised that retailers are now doing the same.

That ship is sinking. Get off while you can.
ADV had release dates lined up for a few months. Kanon and DMC were due to be released next week, and those series would have been complete. The Funi/Sojitz deal is the reason they had to suspend those titles.
HaiKeba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
Well, this just breaks my little Otaku heart. ADV has been my favorite US Anime producer. I'm really saddened about Kanon 6, since Kanon happens to be my all time favorite anime series.

ADV has been a little shady with me, for some time now. I ordered Kanon 1, and Kanon 2+box back in December of 2007. Never arrived. After some time, I forgot I ordered through them, and reordered via Amazon.

Upon realizing I had ordered the same products from two separate companies, I emailed ADV about my order. I planned to just give Kanon 1 and 2+ box to a friend as a gift. Well, 6 months and numerous emails later, I STILL haven't gotten a reply, my less my products. They simply will not reply to my inquiries. So, I guess I have been officially ripped off by ADV. I am not happy about that.

I hope ADV survives this, and gets their act together. I don't want to see a bunch of people lose their jobs.

I guess this means ADV won't be dubbing Clannad...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10