• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Reportedly Suspends 4 DVD Titles Indefinitely

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiriska

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Geez. No wonder DVD sales are down. People can't have faith anymore. :<
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ADV Films has suspended indefinitely the shipments of the following DVDs

I assume then that the DVDs themselves do actually exist. Will this mean they will ship them eventually?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
halo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
ADV Films has suspended indefinitely the shipments of the following DVDs

I assume then that the DVDs themselves do actually exist. Will this mean they will ship them eventually?

If they're legally able. The licenses themselves may be revoked.
Warstar77

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
yo guys dont worry all ADV films have to do is re-license 4 titles and it going to take a while to re-license 4 titles and i think 4 titles didn't probely didn't got good sales with those 4 titles i think that from my piont my view and so guys dont worry its not the end of ADV films and there are problems and i think adv films might team up with companies for while to help them untill they got there thing so. all anime fans of adv films please relax and genon and funmotion have joined up to got the films. so guys relax ok
Teuvan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I predict that ADV and Tokyopop will fall apart within the next two years. And it will be for the better.

The American anime/manga industry is evolving. Companies are learning to meet their consumer's demands; to license and release intelligently; to provide solid translations, steady releases, and to keep consumers informed. That is, most companies are, anyway.

Funimation is licensing titles that will sell, as well as reclaiming titles from fallen companies (4kids/Geneon). They're no longer licensing any piece-of-crap series that happens to catch their eye, without paying a speck of attention to the fanbase. They're also producing quality translations and proper dubbing. They're making rational decisions that will make them money, and will please the American fans.

Bandai is finally coming to the realization that Japanese DVD prices do not work in an American market. Now they're employing business strategies that make sense, by releasing desirable special editions to cater to the hardcore fans, and cheaper bulk-episode sets for the more casual fans and/or the less willing to pay. They've realized how to properly handle the American anime market, and they'll profit from it.

On the other hand, ADV is setting itself up for failure. They produce unsteady releases, in terms of both anime and manga, and do very little to meet consumer demands. Their translation and dubbing quality is unsteady. They license major titles, and yet do a horrendous job of promoting them. They also keep fans in the dark, by not updating their website and only occasionally revealing information to the press. ADV is falling, and it will be a better industry without them.

Geneon followed a similar pattern before its fall, in that they seemed to have stopped making an effort to produce quality. There are DVDs that I would have been willing to buy from them; Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Black Lagoon, particularly. Yet I was so appalled by their mediocre voicework and horribly slopping translations, I was forced to refrain from buying them, despite my strong desire to own hardcopies of those series. I was happy to see Geneon go, as I am happy to see ADV failing now.

The manga industry is in much better shape. Dark Horse does amazing work with their translations, and seems to have quite a bit of sense when it comes to licensing. I'm more than glad to buy their products, despite the slightly higher prices. Del Rey is more of a newcomer to the industry, but they're doing spectacularly well. They have the best licensing-sense I've ever seen, and produce what I would call the best translations in the industry. In fact, I'm more likely to buy manga if it's published by Del Rey.

Viz occasionally produces questionable translations, and has performed some completely irrational acts of censorship, but on the whole, they're not too bad. Smaller distributors, such as CMX D/Books, and Dr. Master (excuse me if I got any of the names wrong), tend to produce very good work and license highly desirable titles, despite being up against much larger competitors.

Tokyopop is the scourge and the shame of the American manga industry. Many of their translations are outright horrendous. I've refrained from buying manga many times, only because I know how badly they handled the translations. They also have the worst licensing-sense in the industry, seeming to license whatever they can get their hands on, paying no attention to quality or the wants of the fanbase. They seem to believe manga is an undifferentiated commodity, where no particular series is better than another. They also extensively license many of their better series without reason.

They have made some good licensing decisions in the past, however, with GTO, Love Hina, and some others. But as far as recent licenses go, I can't remember the last time something licensed by Tokyopop caught my eye. The only real redeeming factor present in modern Tokyopop is their work on light novels, such as Full Metal Panic, Slayers, and Kino no Tabi. I love light novels, and love seeing more of them brought to the U.S. And yet...not-so-surprisingly...Tokyopop neglects this portion of their business, cutting off series midway-through and keeping to a bumpy, unpredictable release schedule.

Tokyopop and ADV will collapse, and it will be for the better. Geneon has collapsed, and it has been for the better. Funimation and Bandai will continue distributing anime in the United States, and will lead the industry into a vastly superior modern age of anime distribution. The manga industry is doing well for itself right now, and with the fall of its one blight, Tokyopop, it will be nearly perfect.
sir_carrot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Evil or Very Mad GAH! Those wankers! I officially despise ADV. Now, I was a patron of that company for a very long time - since it had just started, in fact. Eventually though, because of the poor quality of their releases and customer service, I stopped buying from them.

However, because they greedily went ahead and licensed the second season of Tokyo Majiin before it aired, no one in the fansub community would sub it. This made me a very sad panda.

Still, I resolved that it would be the first anime series on DVD that I would buy for the first time in years from ADV, because I wanted to see the second part of the series enough to drop the $100 or whatever it would cost me.

BUT NOW. It is stuck in limbo - and likely will never be completely subbed, or even brought over officially.

GAH. I'd been worried for a while, since I couldn't find the titles on their websites for some months and now - as I feared - it has gone away.

So. Not. Cool.

ADV can go ahead and tank now for all I care, just as the signs seem to be pointing.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Umm, ADV? You do not drop out of a series while releasing THE LAST DISC. Stop failing so much and give me my UGUU.

I'm with you, got to have our variations of Uguu. Smile
Specially when it's the last one.

I do hope it is something that gets resolved in a timely manner, though thats probably hoping for a bit much. I'm more then happy to wait as long as it gets released and its to the same standards the other 5 disks were.
Warstar77

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Teuvan is wrong about adv films falling apart dont listen to word he's say and he's liar and i pridect adv films will got back up its feet and resume its dvd sales for us and never ever listen to Teuvan ok guys. all companies minor set back ok and everone relax and everthing will be ok as for Teuvan if you say anything about that again i will tell ann to ban you for a month you hear me Teuvan and respect all anime and i respect the companies and i will make my own anime company with anime. ok and so everone relax and think a breather ok Cool

Last edited by Warstar77 on Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
kazana144

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
They're keeping me from my final dose of uguu!!!!!! Honestly, this is going to be the last title I'll ever get from ADV, arrgh.

Well, until they release something else I like =\
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
So im going to guess they won't be getting Kanon vol 2 w/box back in stock @ DD....time to suck it up and pay for the box @ BB.

As for what i've learned from all this, I think I'm no longer going to buy unless its a set. Kanon and Tokyo Majin, both of those are going to hit my collection.

I'm not saying its the death of adv, but i have to question who or what is Sojitz, and if the title has been licensed already, does this mean there is licensing now on a disc to disc basis? If so, defiantly going with boxsets or until all the singles are out.

Last edited by britannicamoore on Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Romeo Charlie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Teuvan wrote:
I predict that ADV and Tokyopop will fall apart within the next two years. And it will be for the better.

I'd argue that ADV has been falling apart for months now, and it'll become official sometime next week. Just watch...
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I first posted my concerns about ADV a few days ago, when Kanon 6 did not show up in stores, and Shattered Angels 2 was showing as on order through all online retailers.
I was scared off of singles after getting stuck mid release on Higurashi (Geneon), and Full Moon (Viz).

I made an exception with The Wallflower, and from reports here on ANN, ADV was surprised enough with the sales of it to do an art box for volume 2. Missing the release date on Kanon 6 seemed odd, the stock had always shown up on time, appeared to sell well, and was replentished regularly at the Best Buy I frequent.

Quote:
Bandai is finally coming to the realization that Japanese DVD prices do not work in an American market.

Well Bandai has not really changed the pricing on the BVU titles they just took over. As for Bandai Entertainment, I love the stuff they put out, but the speediness of the release is awful! Is it 2 months between discs? They do release box sets, but it seems to take them a LONG time. I like My Hime, but not enough for the singles pricing.

Quote:
There are DVDs that I would have been willing to buy from them; Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Black Lagoon, particularly. Yet I was so appalled by their mediocre voicework and horribly slopping translations, I was forced to refrain from buying them, despite my strong desire to own hardcopies of those series.

Black Lagoon and Higurashi both had awesome dubs in my opion. In fact Black Lagoon may be my favorite dub ever, there is zero thought of listening to the Japanese track on them.
Warstar77

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Guys repeat after me ADV films will not fall apart and things will be better and everone just relax and i will tell admin to delete Teuvan forum
Warstar77

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
all adv film fans repeat after me the adv films will not fall and it will rise and all anime fans repeat this 5 times and this forum and no small talk about adv films ok
Teuvan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Warstar77 wrote:
Teuvan is wrong about adv films falling apart don't listen to word he's say and he's liar and i pridect adv films will got back up its feet and resume its dvd sales for us and never ever listen to Teuvan ok guys. all companies minor set back ok and everone relax and everthing will be ok as for Teuvan if you say anything about that again i will tell ann to ban you for a month you hear me Teuvan and respect all anime and i respect the companies and i will make my own anime company with anime. ok and so everone relax and think a breather ok Cool

This isn't the only sign of ADV going under. Hell, this might not even be related. But that doesn't change the fact that ADV's been hitting bumps in their release schedule, losing/dropping licenses, and all the while keeping fans completely uninformed for months. As you say, companies do face minor setbacks; but ADV's been facing a lot of them, many being far more than minor, and an obvious pattern is forming. If you believe that ADV may yet turn things around, however, I'd like to hear your reasoning. Personally, I'd love for ADV to pull their heads out of their asses and start making intelligent business decisions. One more solid anime distributor in the American market would be a great thing. But as it stands, I don't see it happening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10