• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Reportedly Suspends 4 DVD Titles Indefinitely

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:32 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
The fact that ADV is in talks for 23 more titles means that they are still somewhat alive today.
But I don't care about the 23 other unnamed titles, I care about these titles. I want the my Kanon, my Shattered Angels, my NHK and all the rest!

Yargh .. and these holes will hurt worse than Geneon's, both because Funi will fill those and that these are smaller.

Regardless of which company lit the match, and which doused the bridge in jet fuel (anime industry caused increased oil speculation???,) at this point ADV is at a seriously weakened negotiating point because very few companies are crazy enough to ignore the sheer amount of damage halting the last volume will do to their reputation.

Though from the rather glib way they seem to talk of licensing other titles, it almost reads as if Sojitz isn't just trying to make them bleed, but truely isn't offering at any price, leaving them no option but to look elsewhere.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:38 am Reply with quote
I feel really bad for all the fans who might not be able to finish their series. I know how that felt when poor Geneon went under.

I feel bad for the American anime companies too. Not only are they having to compete with pirating, but they also have to contend with a slumping economy and deal with sticky legal issues.

I do my best to support the manga and anime industry, but I have to admit that I've been burned one too many times to want to buy anime series that haven't completed their American run. I know I'm hurting the industry by doing this, but I hate starting a fantastic story and not being able to finish it.

I like how Rightstuf releases entire seasons in one boxset from the get-go. I'd love to see other American companies do that too.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why people get some sense of schadenfreude out of ADV having financial and licensing problems. They helped make the anime market what it is today, and you wouldn't be seeing half of Geneon's titles, if not for them. But instead of appreciating the company struggling to deliver what it can out of that Sojitz fall-out, all you ungrateful jerks do is wish them to fail. Hell, as much as I hated Geneon, even I appreciated some of the quality titles they licensed along with the many mediocre ones. If you're that elated that the industry on both sides is being forced into producing and licensing more cookie-cutter crap than before, then I can't wait to see you trying to keep it afloat, when we give up on the newer stuff completely. So have fun trying to finish your 500 episode shonen and harem crap-fests, because us "old-timers" won't be footing the bill for them any time soon.
Nei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
My question is if there's a chance that ADV could renegotiate for some of those titles? Who knows what all went down with the dissolution of the Sojitz partnership, but I don't know if Greenfield's statement fully excludes that possibility.

Nei, who hopes to one day finish Tokyo Majin and Wallflower in English
BloodshotLint

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
Grr... this is the second time in the last year this has happened while I was in the middle of collecting a series.

First Higurashi and now NHK.

At least I know one of them is being taken over by Funimation, but I wonder what will happen with the other.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:43 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
But instead of appreciating the company struggling to deliver what it can out of that Sojitz fall-out, all you ungrateful jerks do is wish them to fail.

What is there to appreciate in this situation? I don't see them struggling to deliver, I see them deciding not to deliver and moving on to something else. If they were struggling to deliver that would be one thing, instead they seem to be giving up on it. What reason does any customer have to continue buying products from a company that chooses not to release what they were buying? So I should just buy whatever they feel like releasing simply because they did a good job in the past? I should buy despite the fact I can't confidently expect them to finish releasing any show, even if it is reasonably popular and has a fair amount of purchases?

On what basis should I or anyone else continue to trust that they will make sound decisions that will not cause this type of problem in the future? The only way I see for them to improve their record is for them to fix the problem, not move on and try to get away from it.

If this is the way they deal with the issue then yes, I admit that I don't want to see them license anything I want to see, because I worry that nothing will see a complete release from them. I don't trust them at all now. Not to mention from reading the roberts anime corner blog it looks like they first tried to pass this whole delay off as a duplicator issue. They weren't even up front with the retailers... so I suspect the buyers will never get any explanation at all.

I think it's completely unreasonable to expect us to trust ADV at this point. My dislike for Sojitz is even higher, but they aren't really a group that is in our reach to deal with.
RX78-2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:53 am Reply with quote
Sojitz(formed by the merging of Nisshō Iwai Kabushiki-gaisha and the Nichimen Corporation) is one of the biggest international trading companies for America. A.D. and Sojitz partnership is fairly new. They have teamed up like two years. It was in May when the licensing has stopped and there was not any guarantee about re-licensing these products. Thats when I knew to be weary of the whole thing. I know most of you do not care about the economy of this industry. Anime licensing is at a major down time right now. It does not take a brain scientist to figure this one out. I learned time and time again. Example given, certain mangas that did not make it past their first volume. You need to know about the companies that publish these shows that we like. We invest in our hard earned money to enjoy our hobby. Will it stop me from buying something if I like it. The answer NO! Yet I am prepared to understand that an anime may not be fully completed in America.
kazana144

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:57 am Reply with quote
Well at this rate, it's pretty safe to say that someone is going to license and release clannad before kanon is finished.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:16 am Reply with quote
The western anime market has been all but collapsing in the past few years so I can't say I'm too surprised. Carry on then....
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:36 am Reply with quote
Well, all I can do is sit back, relax and be a total jerk at everyone who was gullible enough to buy Kannon.

jr0904 wrote:
this doesnt boathe well for everyone involved.including fansubs and those youtube and veoh posters cause if adv goes belly hop,it's the end of fansubs period.

I find that hard to belive, regardless of certain companies starting with T's efforts to screw us over a second time.
wolfsbane12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:59 am Reply with quote
Damn, Not NHK, that's one of the best series coming out right now.
Seems like this is another nail in the ADV coffin.

It's sad, ADV has such a good history. But why did they split from their parent company?
RX78-2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote
Well Sojitz is partnering with some gas company. They might be cutting off their ties with ADV because there are obviously losing money. They are probably cutting off ties with anything that is losing money because of this gas deal.
RX78-2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:32 am Reply with quote
Also ADV stopped all DVD traffic this month that was partnered with Sojitz. They kind of gave us the fans a big whatever on that. It was not Sojitz. It was ADV on that idea. They did not lose a license on these volumes but future volumes. So the number of NHK vol5 is drastically limited. Oh well. It doesnt mean they will ship the rest later. Also ADV is trying to work out a deal with Sojitz where they can release 20 something other volumes of anime. Im still keeping my NHK collection. Im sure they already have the rest of NHK dubbed.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:11 am Reply with quote
Xanas:
Quote:
What reason does any customer have to continue buying products from a company that chooses not to release what they were buying? So I should just buy whatever they feel like releasing simply because they did a good job in the past? I should buy despite the fact I can't confidently expect them to finish releasing any show, even if it is reasonably popular and has a fair amount of purchases?

Yes. It's called company loyalty. I've got plenty of anime and manga I never finished! But I'm not going to complain, because I appreciated what I could get. If I enjoyed it, then that's all that mattered. It's better than getting stuck with hundreds of episodes of mediocrity which I only marginally like, and which I only feel obligated to finish for the sake of completeness. For example, I might complain about BV's high prices, but I understand how CCSYueh feels about getting series which specifically appeal to her, and supporting them as often as possible.

As for ADV, they're doing the best job they can right now. It's not any easier for them to be going through these problems than it is for us.
Punynari

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:23 am Reply with quote
Sigh...

If they truely will not/can not release Kanon vol 6, I am done purchasing from them.

I feel like whenever I start purchasing a series it gets yanked out from under me. I'm talking about the manga situation. Although, I haven't read it anywhere, I bet the Aria manga is canceled.....again. Atlier WAS cancelled and I have not seen a Gunslinger Girl manga out in ages (ADV again).

If anime ever ends up in the manga situation, where titles are cancelled reguarly, I'll stick with fansubs. Yes, I've seen Kanon and currently own the fansubs, but I was buying it for the dub. ADV, please do all you can to finish one of the best anime series ever created (my opinion).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10