• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New media, new horizons, and a new video player

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy

Wow I must say I'm very impressed.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
First I'd like to say Congradulations on reaching 10 years ANN! I have only been a member for two years, but I've been a lurker for a fair amount of time. And thanks to the way back machine I can see how you guys started. It's just awesome how the site has evolved and changed over the years. Congradulations!

The video interface looks awesome! I just need to update my Flash player first though, then I'll watch some stuff.

Again congrads!
matthewlow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I was at the panel @ AX today. This news was one of the many highlights; I'm looking forward to it and the possibilities of what it can bring.

And the fact that this was conceived before Crunchyroll is even better.
ruro niko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Color me impressed. The price-comparison guide is especially impressive. Good work and happy anniversary.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis wrote:
Anime News Network is now the #1 dedicated anime content website in the world. In any language.

Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Forum veterans should know what I'm trying to say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I believe that if this were Frisky Dingo someone would definitely qualify this as BOOSH! Very Happy

Also, I'm pretty excited about the idea of ANN being able to deliver actual episodes. BOOSH!

Last edited by Greed1914 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering when this would be announced, I sort of stopped following the last thread after about two pages, so maybe it was reveled over there as well. Anyways, new features, woohoo!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jih2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I assume this was the really special treat that Zac mentioned in one of his Answerman columns a few weeks back. Thank you for trying to make a difference in the industry, kudos for moving further into the digital realm, I'm looking forward to seeing you guys at Otakon this year. Ten more years sir, thank you for your devotion to this wonderful place.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
First I'd like to say Congradulations on reaching 10 years ANN! I've only been here a couple of months, but I am really greatful this site has been around a decade now.

The video system looks nice, hopefully this will help out this site even more.

That said, I'd like to thank the entire staff, including anyone who works for this site. Here's to another ten more great years Anime News Network.

I wonder what will happen in ten more years?
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Seems quite promising. I do look forward to the site content and anime features to come. Many interesting things can come from utilizing such technology and tying it in with news, reviews, and columns (among others).

Hmm, so could encyclopedia entries, for example, be linked to trailers or actual clips and episodes in the future? Or even video clips supporting reviews a la Buried Treasure?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Is this going to be an archive service, where overtime I can nerd-out on a full season of a show at one time or will it be like Toonami Jetstream where after a few weeks, older episodes go away until the next circulation of them?

Also, while this would go without saying for an internet-centric outfit like ANN, please don't let this player or the ad system be glitchy. The Anime Network has had a streaming service available for a while. I stopped using it shortly after as it regularly crashed web browsers, made you watch ads even if the REAL content would error-out or was corrupt, and had many other infrastructure related issues. After I gave them another try, the content I wanted on the site was gone (Pani Poni Dash was pretty much it).

I'll watch any ads you place in front of me. I'd even pay a subscription fee. The basics just need to be met. Reliability, quality content in large amounts, reasonable encoding (not 320x240 at 5 fps, around youtube/veoh quality of a lil better), and a system to make sure if something isn't functional, it won't feed me undue ads in a loop while no show starts.

Personally, if it'll pay for it, I wouldn't mind an equal amount of ads compared to what is on TV. Less is better of course, but hey, I like free and legal.

I also ask this. Beg even. You're service will help us buy anime? That is cool. "from top e-retailers"? Please choose quality businesses. For example, Amazon.com is not a good choice as they allow bootlegs into their business aggregation.

Maybe I am preaching to the choir, or whatever. I am sure of all the outfits to get this right, ANN will be the one to do it right. Even so, I communicate these humble opinions with care as ANN isn't the first one to try this. Outside of Toonami Jetstream, they have all been failures in my eyes. Good luck. I am totally excited.
nagashi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
Wow, 10 years already!

A couple quick questions if you don't mind:

1) Subs/dubs/both? (I greatly prefer subs)
2) What's the delay going to look like for new shows? I mean, will we see shows on this *before* American dvd release, simultaneous to US DVD release, 6 months after US DVD release, etc. (Would be great if you could get this same day as Japanese release, perhaps with the ability to load an srt file or something)
3) Was this negotiated through the American industry, or directly through the Japanese industry? Would be great if this was directly through the Japanese industry. Why support the completely unnecessary middle man?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Takoon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
Wow! I'm thoroughly impressed! I'm very excited to use the video player, and I think that a lot of people will be using it if it's easy enough to handle. I don't think anyone really minds ads, so that's not a problem...especially if it's free. *lol*

Great idea! And congrats on 10!
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Hmm, so could encyclopedia entries, for example, be linked to trailers or actual clips and episodes in the future? Or even video clips supporting reviews a la Buried Treasure?

We definitely plan to have links from each encyclopedia entry to the relevant trailer; it's just that we couldn't really do that before we announced the video service Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:
Is this going to be an archive service, where overtime I can nerd-out on a full season of a show at one time or will it be like Toonami Jetstream where after a few weeks, older episodes go away until the next circulation of them?

This entirely depends on the licensing terms for the content. The trailers and ANNtv should always stay there, but some series may only be displayed for a limited time. In that case the interface will show when the content expires, and there will be a list of which videos will expire soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4