• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Cast: Kadokawa Has No Plans for 3rd Haruhi TV Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Lann wrote:
whats the status of K-on anyway?

There's a movie coming out December and the manga is restarting as 2 separate mangas.

Panty and Stockings won't get a sequel as the sales of the series was bad.
Lann

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Lann wrote:
whats the status of K-on anyway?

There's a movie coming out December and the manga is restarting as 2 separate mangas.

see this is the problem. I would love to watch this anime but feel like i should hold back in case its continued mangas don't get a proper adaptation :/
Im sure they eventually will, but i'll hold back anyway until the time is right.

i didn't know Panty and Stockings won't be back. thanks for clearing this up
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Even if Season 2 was bad, it still sold 19000+ copies. Meanwhile, Kadokawa is still producing shit like R-15 and Maken-ki!
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

The sales weren't that bad plus there is other stuff to take into account. I haven't seen any flop get the level of merchandising and books that P&S got and continues to get over a year after it started airing. It's generating enough money to keep pumping out product, which is a good sign.
DarkFusion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
After hearing all the horror stories about season 2 I decided to drop the series since I figured whatever creativity to it had expired with that (kind of like with Family Guy and The Simpsons). Is there really anything good after what was covered in the second season?
Lann

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
quite frankly, yes. simply put, the movie which follows is the best TV series related anime movie ever, which ties into past and future episodes (if they ever get round to doing them).

it does make me wonder whether they will turn the rest of the series into a set of movies instead?

the wait between series 1 and 2 was really long. i guess they are just doing the same thing again. as long as they dont secretly drop the franchise its fine. as you can tell its my pet hate with anime
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Aside from time wasting "Endless Eight", the second season was pretty good. Though "Endless Eight" took up most of the season, so it's a pretty big negative.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Aside from time wasting "Endless Eight", the second season was pretty good. Though "Endless Eight" took up most of the season, so it's a pretty big negative.

I didn't mind the endless Endless Eight, although I thought the last five about the making of the movie in the first episode were wasted. One or two episodes would have been enough.

I don't mind that there's no season 3 because it would run the risk of being more irritating that season 2. But there's still plenty of room for OAVs. Black Lagoon put out practically a full season of OAVs after season 2 ended.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:

I didn't mind the endless Endless Eight, although I thought the last five about the making of the movie in the first episode were wasted. One or two episodes would have been enough.

I did not think Endless Eight was pointless either, though I still think that keeping the five episodes about the movie was fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
redranger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Great news! Hopefully this means no more Haruhi ever.
isoge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Well this was a kick in the groin...
Jackstick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I completely understand all the hate for Endless Eight, but personally I loved watching it. I watched all of Haruhi, chronologically, in about a week.

I guess it must have been torture to watch 8 whole weeks of Endless Eight. I watched all of Endless Eight in two sittings, and I found it to be pretty enjoyable and fun. Call that fanboyism if you want, apparently everyone is a fanboy of something these days.

Anyway, I think I understand why they made Endless Eight eight whole episodes. I'm sure I'm not the first one to have this theory (in fact I wouldn't be surprised if it's been confirmed) Why couldn't it just have been four episodes, with two rounds per episode? Four episodes is easier to stomach than eight, right?

The first season of Haruhi was 1 cour, 14 episodes (pretty high for 1 cour, but oh well). They probably knew, even before production began, that Disappearance was going to be massively popular. So, should they produce it episodically, or as a film?

They chose film, probably for several good reasons. But wait, there's still all of Sigh that hasn't been covered! Okay, so that's 5 episodes, but not enough for one cour. What else can they throw in there? Hmmm, looks like they forgot about Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody in the first season, easily one of the most important chapters in the series. Let's throw that into the second season. That brings them up to 6 episodes.

They need 8 more episodes if they want to have a 14 episode cour like the first season. They've already borrowed a few chapters from future novels that come AFTER Disappearance (The Day of Sagittarius, Live Alive, and Mikuru Episode 00), so screw it let's do that again! And we'll borrow Endless Eight this time! And it's called Endless EIGHT so we'll make it eight episodes!

There, now they're at 14 episodes. All of the first three novels have been completely covered (and even some of the 5th and 6th), so they can finally make Disappearance!

And they did. And it was a massive success. They would be [expletive] stupid to stop now.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
DarkFusion wrote:
After hearing all the horror stories about season 2 I decided to drop the series since I figured whatever creativity to it had expired with that (kind of like with Family Guy and The Simpsons). Is there really anything good after what was covered in the second season?

Yes actually the movie was excellent and if they ever did adapt more of the Haruhi novels there is a lot of good stories to tell.

And it is not like season 2 was bad because of the material, it was bad because of the adaption. Endless 8 was actually a good short story in the novels (short being the operative word).
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I bet five bucks that they're trolling. Laughing Laughing Laughing
pluvia33

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:49 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but did the actual wording of their statement say that there are no plans for a THIRD season? Because I've always been under the impression that the "second" season wasn't actually a second season at all. It was the 2009 renewal airing of Melancholy. So of course there won't be any plans for a third season yet. Technically their hasn't really been a second season so far!

Anyway, going beyond technicalities, I'd really like to have a new season released for The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya, with the final unadapted stories from books five and six thrown in for good measure. Probably another 14 episode series. Then maybe a big 20-something episode release of books 8 through 11. But I'm sure I'll be waiting a while for that, though I do like to think that it is an inevitability. At least I have my novels to keep me company until then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5