• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Slayers Revolution.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axe-336

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:32 am Reply with quote
Slayers Revolution

I couldn't find a topic dedicated to the new Slayers series, so here we go!

I've been a huge fan of the series for a long time, it was one of the first shows I bought. I actually saw part of Slayers TRY first, and then went back and watched all of the first series and was treated to classic lines like "I'd say you've got a lotta balls, but you're girl so you don't have any!" and "Great, its the battle of the cliche men."

I was hugely excited to hear a new one was coming out and want to know what people think of it.

Only the first episode has shown so far (I think) and I must say the humor has remained well intact spoiler[Lina Inverse is arrested on the charge of being Lina Inverse, and the best part is her friends are saying "Hmm, thats a hard charge to fight, its very true." ] I was a little disappointed by the opening, but only because of Zelgadis's lame thumbs up. Also this little new character is going to have to prove his worth for two reasons: 1. spoiler[ He stole Lina's first episode Dragon Slave moment and replace it with some weak looking digital effect! Sure it still blew up the town, but it looked more like a glorified Fireball than the Dragon Slave.] 2. He has the unfortunate appearance of a marketing tool, a character created solely for the purpose of selling plushies, a poorly made plushie at that.

Besides those few points everything else is great, I'm looking forward to it and await Xellos's return.
Alestal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
I'm freaken excited too, though im not so much a fan of the series as I am the individual movies(OVA), but I liked Slayers:Premium and that seemed to be a sort of prequel to this series. Lina has the same outfit, and they use the same crisp colors and effects.

spoiler[And that dragon slave moment was lame, maybe that little pokemon thing fucked up the spell?]

Anyway, I think this series will be great. Its never looked better visually.
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
this was funnier (is that a word?) than the last one.......we meet spoiler[Potoka, the tiny creature that cast the dragon slave at the end of ep.1]

spoiler[the best part was when he was calling Lina the Queen Boobless, omg im not going to say too much of it but everyone at work looked at me wierd for laughing]

im so glad to see a new season of Slayer's is this isnt disappoint me at the least
Truered

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:58 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode a few days ago. Of course at the same time I'm also watching Slayers Next on DVD for the first time, so I'm 1 and a half seasons off Laughing (Have watched all but one of the movies)

It stills seems a bit too "clean" having been use to 90s Slayers now. The humour was still present but of course when watching Next at the same time (obviously not the exact same time) my opinion will be slightly more prone to being harsh.

Still not keen on the pokemon though.
guet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:47 am Reply with quote
I thought the first episode had better comedy, but it's still too early to tell how consitantly good this is going to be. It does still feel like the original slayers, and that's enough to keep me watching.

I agree that the jury is still out on Potoka, but I do enjoy that he is voiced by the same girl that does Black Star from Soul Eater.

I'm also curious to see how many of the other temporary Slayers make an apperance, and how their characters look updated with the new style.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:55 am Reply with quote
Oh man, despite the newer fancy schmancy animation, I felt like I was transported back to 1996. They haven't missed a beat. It's still Slayers, and it's just as good as everything before it.
Truered

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:56 am Reply with quote
Wow it's this popular huh? Laughing

Watched the third episode, and now I am in love with the show. It's like watching the older series/films only with better/clearer animation. The humour is there, the characters are there, the catchy themes that I want are there Cool

I enjoyed this episode, and found spoiler[the whole incident involving the jellyfish very amusing. Gourry looked so happy! Razz ]

Despite the ending of the episode, I expect to see spoiler[Weiser/Wiser] again.
kamicase13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:46 am Reply with quote
I've seen 3 eps so far and i can say its that they kept true to the original series, same animation style, same colorfull chars and of course the comic relief that is characteristic with the serie.

I think i really laughed my ass off with spoiler[Warrant for: Lina Inverse. Suspect of beign: Lina Inverse]
And of course gaudy spoiler[foging his sword everytime it gets bent after using it] its really funny also.
abynormal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
My only reservation with this series is that so far Zelgadis has gotten very little screen time. This is clearly a Lina and Gourry - centric story, and Zel seems to be just one of the supporting cast so far, rather than a co-star. It's only three episodes in, and it's still a LOT of fun to watch. Wiser's performance in episode three had me cracking up nonstop.
taishi69

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I was thrilled to see that after all these years they were finally coming out with a 4th season of Slayers. I almost expected the characters to age with the "time skip" that fans have seen, but all and all I'm excited and will watch each episode with eagerness.

Couple ticks about the show. Honestly the CG leaves me with a feeling of slight unease. I was almost used to the 90s animation when i watched it (the grain is your FRIEND) and seeing it so... new-y is a throw for me. Also did anyone notice that Zel almost seems too blue now? I think they messed up the color palate on that one.

However those are all acceptable because they brought back all of the voice actors from the good ol' days. And no matter how CG it gets it's still extremely comforting to hear Megumi-chan shouting out "FIREBALL"

P.S. - I wonder how many fanfiction readers/writers will be crying over the new season as their stories get more and more OoC.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Its good to hear that its still Slayers. I was worried that it was going to change for the worse.
Truered

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:16 am Reply with quote
Enjoyed the latest episode as well. It was quite amusing, but it seemed fillerish, and I've yet to truly see the direction the story is going...or maybe it'll all fit together in the end.

I also love the ending theme Laughing
guet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah, episode 4 was not bad at all, got some more screen time for Zelgadis, and the major battle in this one was good for a few laughs.

Episode 5 preview:spoiler[Xellos makes his return to the series.]
abynormal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
This episode is the first I've ever seen of spoiler[Xellos], and I really, really like him. I think he might become my favorite character if he doesn't give me a reason to completely hate his guts.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote
So is Slayers Revolution a continuation of the original Slayers? Or is Slayers Revolution are remake? Just curious to know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2