• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
World Destruction: Sekai Bokumetsu no Rokunin (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
World Destruction: Sekai Bokumetsu no Rokunin
Anyone else checked out the first episode of this series yet? For those not "in the know," it's the animated side of a nearly simultaneous multimedia release in game, anime, and manga form, and the first volume certainly has the taste of game elements about it. In all versions the story takes place in a fantasy world populated by "beastmen" of all type, where humans seems to be a picked-upon minority and vast seas of sand replace oceans. The basic premise is that Morte (and possibly others?) are human "terrorists" who have been labeled the World Destruction Committee by the militant World Salvation Committee, and while she didn't pick the name Morte does, indeed, talk much about using a sphere she possesses called the Destruct Code to destroy the world - only she doesn't yet know how to do that. A young man she runs across named Kirie, who seems to resonate with the sphere, might be the key, and it looks like the twosome is going to spend the next couple of episodes gathering other key players, including a "hero" who looks like a butt-kicking animated teddy bear with an eyepatch.

Yeah, there's a definite layer of silliness inherent in what otherwise seems a rather serious fantasy set-up, especially with the cutesy cat people (and a scepter carried by their king which looks like a golden set of fish bones???). It definitely gives the series an odd feel compared to other fantasy productions. Production I.G. is behind it, so it has a sharp look.

Kinda doubt I will continue with this one, as I've already locked into what I think will be a better series for the summer season, but others should certainly find it interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
... it's the animated side of a nearly simultaneous multimedia release in game, anime, and manga form, and the first volume certainly has the taste of game elements about it.

As I remember correctly, didn't the .hack franchise also did a multimedia release as well.
Surely, you said that others should certainly find it interesting, but I wonder if Word Destruction will be as popular as .hack as it releases more of its title.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
I've watched the first episode several times. But that was only because I was messing around with the .ass file in order to create a silly (albiet quite crass) fake subtitle script.

Anywho, I finally watched the first episode "for real." It was pretty enjoyable, and it being an I.G series pretty much guarantees good production values. I think I'll continue this one. But probably not so much because I like the series. I'd like to continue creating fake scripts. Anime catgrin

Still, I LOVE the rockin' opener.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see that fake script. Given the content shown so far, this one is ripe for a savage parody.
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
so i just got done watching it and umm...........errr............umm..........i dunno if im going to continue it.

it has a real serious undertone but its overpowered by the "cute" creatures and it (imo) doesnt match.

i'll watch episode 2 before decideding on continue watching it.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'd like to see that fake script. Given the content shown so far, this one is ripe for a savage parody.

Sure thing, Key. I e-mailed you the .ass file. I'm pretty sure that I eliminated all of the typos and other various errors, but it's possible that I could have missed some.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I watched about half of the first episode but didn't really care for it. But I wasn't surprised by that, since I only watched to here the seiyuu.

The opening is pretty awesome though, I must admit.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quote
It was a decent first episode and the fighting was fairly well done. It's an interesting twist to have the heroes (or one of them, at least) be the one(s) to want to destroy the world. I'm iffy on the teddy bear character, but so far he's decent enough.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Just caught the second episode. It was just as enjoyable as the first episode. The two more characters featured prominently in the opener were introduced. Apparently Morte is blessed with incredible luck. At least when she's playing roulette anyway.

As far as my fake scripts go, this episode will be a bit tougher to parody than the first one.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
This is a strange one, IG eye-candy and potentially apocalyptic plot meets "The Cat Returns". Nyaa. Or should I say, kuma.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1