• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Future US Publishes One-Off Future Anime Mag in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crawly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:35 am Reply with quote
Have zero interest in GL or the posters, but I think I saw Aria and Emma on the cover, so I'll have to flip through it next time I go to Borders. Smile
bci110

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:51 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
* The transfer of NewtypeUSA Subscriptions to a magazine that many people didn't want in the first place. IIRC, many wanted refunds. Which as of this writing, nobody has gotten yet.

And most likely never will Evil or Very Mad .

If I see this magazine at my local Borders or Barnes & Noble, I'll give it a shot. I can always go for new posters Cool .
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:14 am Reply with quote
Hmm, if I can scrape together that much money (I feel so broke) I'll take a gamble on this one, sounds like it has good posters in any case.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:56 am Reply with quote
Whoa, another anime mag?

Guess I'll have to order a sample of that to see if it's worth getting a subscription for the library. I think 'Otaku USA' is a good mag. It's almost an exact replacement for NTUSA. But then there's 'Future Anime'. This could get interesting again. Hope this works out.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:02 am Reply with quote
Eh, it's a browser.

I thought Otaku USA was a pretty poor fake Newtype from the issue I read, but maybe it's improved... I definitely don't need another 'geek pop culture' magazine though. I don't care about Rock Band or Rambo or whatever... I don't want to read another version of Details.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
Those of you who already bought one, where did you find it at?

I looked during lunchtime at a large local Borders and I didn't see it.

Thanks in advance!
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:

Am I the only one happy about ALL the posters minus Afro Samurai?
^ _ ^;

I'm pretty happy with all of them, minus Afro Samurai as well... I don't really care that it's in there, it's just that the whole idea kinda of sounded like an excuse to have lots of blood, profanity, and Samuel L. Jackson (OMG.) o_o;; (I'm not into the whole ghetto rap scene.)

Knowing how Shuffle tends to market posters, and just in general how Shuffle is, I may or may not put that one up Anime hyper (but I will appreciate it.)

I'll pick this one up if I see it in stores, and I'll mention that the 12 posters is very very tempting indeed (But if it turns out to be a recurring publication, I hope they don't kill themselves over the posters -_-;; )
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I imagine this is something similar to the two anime specials the SFX magazine has published in the UK - note that SFX is published by Future Publishing and I'm assuming the name is not a coincidence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:08 am Reply with quote
Wish I would check it out. I was saddened when Newtype USA went under and PiQ didn't last long enough for me to get attached to it. The addition of giving away posters is definitely a plus. I hope the writing is good and have more info on new anime in Japan; that's what I look for in an anime magazine.
curious yellow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
I want to pick up a copy-where?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
Found some in computer stores.
Doesn't matter; I get these things for free. Laughing
anime_lord1989

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
omg.....yes new mag.........PIQ sucks.........dont like dat mag.....
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
That mag can be brutally honest sometimes in its descriptions of behaviors. Laughing
Batman3777

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I just got my copy of this mag today at B&N,

I like it, but it's a little light on content, perfect for a one-off I suppose. One nitpicking type thing: it's actually got 6 double-sided posters, not 12 posters, so it could get tough if you like them all and would want to display them all at once.

I would say that if they dropped half the posters and added about 15 more pages of content, this would be an excellent replacement for NTUSA. Also, honestly, now that ANN is offering anime trailers and even full episodes (right?), I am not sure I even need a DVD like the one from NTUSA anymore. I don't need the clutter, and publishers don't need to spend the money. Seems like win-win situation there.

[Short OT moment here]
While at the book store a very pretty girl came in and sat down in front of the manga shelves and started reading (much to Gary Steinman's chagrin). She was very pretty, very normal and polite, and she was NOT reading yaoi! See, there are sane fans out there! There's proof! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
[end OT moment]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:51 am Reply with quote
Batman3777 wrote:

[Short OT moment here]
While at the book store a very pretty girl came in and sat down in front of the manga shelves and started reading (much to Gary Steinman's chagrin). She was very pretty, very normal and polite, and she was NOT reading yaoi! See, there are sane fans out there! There's proof! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
[end OT moment]

So why didn't ya talk to her? Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4