• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto's Rock Lee Manga Spinoff Gets Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AgumonKid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute.
Giving a side character a TV show?
Not canceling the entire Naruto series and making a new series based off of Shikamaru?
The fudge is going on here???
toyNN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Rock Lee is pretty awesome. I think I'd watch this.

I wouldn't mind a serious Rock Lee mixed in with jokes. I always thought it was a great character and would make for an interesting spinoff. Glad they are doing it.. should be fun.

I better go to 1000 one-armed push ups to prepare.
Bonham

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Rock Lee is pretty awesome. I think I'd watch this.
A thousand times this.

I've skimmed a couple chapters; Tenten actually gets more lines on a single page than she does in the entire main series.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
It's a cute little gag series, and Tenten is adorable in it.

Puppies are cute. BUT THIS IS SOOOOO WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS!!!!

But for this to even happen, rock lee have to be mega popular in japan? brrrrrr.

IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
^
Back when I was reading Naruto, I always adored Rock Lee. He was a lovable loser type, but wasn't cookie-cutter. He had heart and didn't always win. Actually, at the beginning, he almost never did win at anything, always being bested or having to rise against some new challenge.

Of course, I have no idea what he's like now. But I don't see it being far-fetched that fans like him enough to warrant a gag series.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:03 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
^
Back when I was reading Naruto, I always adored Rock Lee. He was a lovable loser type, but wasn't cookie-cutter. He had heart and didn't always win. Actually, at the beginning, he almost never did win at anything, always being bested or having to rise against some new challenge.

Of course, I have no idea what he's like now. But I don't see it being far-fetched that fans like him enough to warrant a gag series.

Unless he took part in and won some battle in the last 10 chapters I have purposely neglected, Rock Lee hasn't won shit, pardon my french. Let's review the score card: the first battle we see him against Sasuke was interrupted by Gai, so no winner, the second battle he gets bested by some sound nin and bailed out by ino-shika-cho and his own team, the next battle he gets destroyed by Gara, and the last battle in part one he got drunk on sake and tried to take down Kimimarou but ultimately gets bailed out by Gara. Thus far he's had no notable battles in part two (and the way things are looking, it's probably gonna stay that way), and his track record in part one was pretty pitiful having to get bailed out all but one time in which he didn't have a prayer of winning (come on it was Gara, at that point who did have a shot at a win against him?). That's not to say Lee isn't adorably endearing, but really people want to see a spin off starring him? Color me surprised. Sure he's cute, and I'd give his antics a few chuckles when he's tossed in for good measure here and there, but I don't think a whole show surrounding him would carry my interest for very long. I've never been one for comedy anime, they're just not funny to me (ironic I know, but foreign japanese humor escapes me). Perhaps it's because they tend to try too hard. Anyway wake me if they one day decide to do a Shikamaru spin-off. Now that's a spin-off I'd block off time to watch.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
AgumonKid wrote:
Wait a minute.
Giving a side character a TV show?
Not canceling the entire Naruto series and making a new series based off of Shikamaru?
The fudge is going on here???

"Shikamaru: Slacker Extraordinaire" I'd watch it! Laughing

I'd watch this, too, if it were available legally streaming somewhere. Crunchyroll?
NamiLuffy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:20 am Reply with quote
lol, seriously?
i bet the anime version's art will be like the ONA of Suzumiya Haruhi series
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2