• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gurren Lagann Sub.DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Given some comments mentioned here, I went back and watched episode 4 again, and I still don't see what all the fuss is about. The second viewing reaffirmed my observation that there is, indeed, some stylistic difference in the actual movement of characters (although I had to specifically look for it to notice it), but the artistry remains generally consistent with what's seen in the episodes before and after. It's certainly nowhere near the visual contrast seen in episode 9.

Ah, well that was a misinterpretation of what you wrote then, at least on my part. In my focusing on the flaw of episode 4 that most bothered me -- the actual art style, not the animation -- I assumed that's what you were talking about in the review's context. I didn't acually notice much of a difference in animation quality in episodes 4 or 9. I guess that shows where my visual priorities lie.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
ADV's original volume 1 cover. Note the similarities:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/Nebs66/51MijTt2uKL__SS500_.jpg

The differences are minor, granted, but I still think I like ADV's cover slightly better.

The identical shot being used in both cases seems to imply a carry-over from a Japanese release. Even if that's the case, I stand by my comments that it's a dull picture given the over-the-top nature of the series' early episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Nebs wrote:
ADV's original volume 1 cover. Note the similarities:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/Nebs66/51MijTt2uKL__SS500_.jpg

The differences are minor, granted, but I still think I like ADV's cover slightly better.

The identical shot being used in both cases seems to imply a carry-over from a Japanese release. Even if that's the case, I stand by my comments that it's a dull picture given the over-the-top nature of the series' early episodes.

Some of the future covers have some better pics, though I actually like the "quiet" cover more than the "spiral" one (looks a little too gimmicky and busy).

I was pretty surprised to see that someone didn't like the score for the show. It was one of the aspects a lot of people seemed to like and praised the show for (me included), as well as the OP. Also, while Ep. 9 was of lower production caliber than usual, it was more acceptable than the fourth episode given its atmosphere. The latter was a poor episode regardless of its worse animation quality, IMO.

The series as a whole was great and a masterpiece, yet I don't think it's as groundbreaking or revolutionary as some say.

P.S.: spoiler[I knew Kamina wasn't going to live long from the first or second episode (just one of "those" characters), but that didn't stop Ep. 8 from being any less effective...]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MichaelMcDonald

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one being reminded of Kuro and Shiro from Tekkon Kinkreet in episode 9? The way Simon looks in episode 9 is sometimes almost exactly like the character designs from Tekkon Kinkreet. Maybe it's just conincidence... But the different episode title art seems to point towards the artistic differences being done on purpose for this episode - for whatever reason. Was it some allusion or inside joke that U.S. watchers don't get?
Jacut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Quote:
One has to think that ADV, a company much more inventive when it comes to hype, would've come up with a more compelling presentation than this.

The ADV coverart was revealed before they lost the license. The artwork was the same and the logo was, if not identical, close to it. It was no more impressive than what Bandai used.

Unfortunately you're right, the problem lies in Aniplex which strangely refuse to give their Japanese logo and prohibit licensors to put any kind of background art aside from the main artwork on packaging, on top of not wanting any dub made (and it's a miracle Bandai Entertainment achieved to release a 2-volume pack...).

You know, every editor wants to have good and innovative products, but most of the time, it's the Japanese counterpart that prevents it to happen...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3