• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Feigned Frustration XIII

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p3rseus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
i read that it is the engine the game runs on that is being ported. so they can still say that they arent setting any manhours to be worked on the writing of the game itself for xbox, while at the same time diminishing the amount of people devoted to the original by sending others to work on engine port. but that's just wild speculation.

ps. i am pro cross-platform for everything - if they program for the top end system first.

The 'White' engine was made cross platform a long time ago. I thought the disc constraints would not make a port possible but that never stopped FF7 and others on the PS1, the 360 also has a HDD to install the game if they don't want to do multiple discs. Developing with the top system in mind might yield bad results, remember that it's much easier to get power out of the xbox360 than out of the ps3, making games for the 360 which has a more flexible architecture would lead to problems porting to the PS3, however they've decided to based it on the PC and port to PS3 and 360 from there which I thought was a wise decision. With titles like Resident Evil 5, we can see that multiplatform can have just as much technical prowess as any exclusive game, this is due to the PS3 and XBOX360 being so similar in technical capabilities, both machines can do pretty much the same thing.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I hope the delay isn't very long for FFXIII I hear they're doing a simultaneous release for they're new series the last remnant so who knows. I don't care where they release it I plan to buy one of the 2 systems soon so it's whichever one I get probably the ps3 though.
loka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
p3rseus wrote:
however they've decided to based it on the PC and port to PS3 and 360 from there which I thought was a wise decision.

that is from top end, down.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Square really did piss me off with this. They even said in interviews, that the only FF project they had been working on for 360 was the MMO XI. They lied for years, unlike CapCom with Monster Hunter or DMC, who rather lied for months.

Also, not every 360 has a hard-drive, unlike every PS3. That is why installing games isn't all the plausible. Heck RockStar citied that as a major development problem in GTA IV, that unlike the PS3, not everyone has a hard-drive or one big enough.

Reason why I like exclusives, it pushes console to their max. If the only PS3 exclusives are going to be from Sony, and everything else on another plaform we will never know what that beast of a machine can do. We've seen glimpse's of it's power, like in Heavenly Sword with it's facial expressions. But hey.

Aswell, my major disapointed from E3 was Nintendo's lack of a Wii hard-drive. You expect me to download WiiWare, Wii Channels, and VC games with memory less than many PSP memory sticks? Oh wait I forgot, the only people who want that are "nerds and otakus". Sorry Nintendo.
Dramatis Personae

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Think back to that fateful day in 1996 when Square moved Final Fantasy VII from the Nintendo 64 to the PlayStation, thus leaving Nintendo fans with absolutely nothing. You'll still have your Final Fantasy, PS3 owners, so suck it up.

Exxcept, the PS3 needs exclusive titles and Nintendo will always have Mario so it doesn't matter anyway.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Giant Enemy Crab? In MY AnimeNewsNetwork?

I wouldn't have thought the cancer would spread this far. Rolling Eyes
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Quote:
Well, some of my friends bought a ps3 just because of FFXIII. So they are pretty pissed. At least they can still grill hamburgers. Not much other use for ps3.

Yeah....Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Soul Calibur 4, Devil May Cry 4, and all Blu-Ray movies........TOTTALY worthless

It's not that it's useless overall, it's just becoming increasingly useless if you have a 360. Also, 360 has the immediate advantage of being cheaper than PS3. That means that it doesn't even have to be better, it can just be equal and it will still sell better.

If Sony wants people to pay the extra hundred bucks for PS3 over 360 they need to offer more than 360. Blu-Ray is probably it's single biggest upside right now. Especially since blu-ray may have been what allowed it to retain exclusivity on it's other biggest upside, MGS4. There are a few other high points such as Uncharted but overall, PS3 mostly offers the exact same thing as PS3 minus Halo, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Bioshock, and a whole bunch of various RPGs.

Yeah you can still play many of the same games on PS3 such as Devil May Cry 4, Soul Calibur 4, Resident Evil 5, Grand Theft Auto 4 just to name a few. However, the only people who are going to pay more for the same thing are people who are already Sony fanboys.

PS3 needs more games like MGS4 that say: This is why it's worth getting a PS3. This is what you won't get with 360. By losing FFXIII they just lost one of their best chances at that kind of game.

p3rseus wrote:
What I don't understand is why they wouldn't release the 360 version on Japan.

Because it is not being developed for both platforms. It is going to be developed for and released on PS3 in Japan. Then, they will begin working on a port for the 360 which will be ready by the time it is released here allowing it to be released on both systems. Ultimately the 360 port could be released in Japan as well. If it is though it won't be for a while simply because it will not exist at the release date.
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
PS3 needs more games like MGS4 that say: This is why it's worth getting a PS3. This is what you won't get with 360. By losing FFXIII they just lost one of their best chances at that kind of game.

Luckily Sony has a really solid first party. I think the fact that it's heavily-Western loaded though puts it out of site for a lot of people that frequent sites like this.
ikillchicken wrote:
Ultimately the 360 port could be released in Japan as well. If it is though it won't be for a while simply because it will not exist at the release date.

I'm fully expecting the 360 to get the release via one of the "International" editions.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I love my PS3. I don't play games on it but it's a beautiful media center, uses bluetooth peripherals - and let me tell you, there is nothing better than a bluetooth remote control - and is easily, by a large margin, the best Bluray player and upscaling DVD player on the market. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I play games on my 360 because all of my friends have 360s and multiplayer is better there, but as a media center, the PS3 can't be beat.

I realize that's maybe not what they were going for but hey, I can dig it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
Dramatis:
Quote:
Exxcept, the PS3 needs exclusive titles and Nintendo will always have Mario so it doesn't matter anyway.

Actually, if it wasn't for Pokemon, Nintendo would have gone the way of Atari. That sucker made more money for them than all the 64 games combined. And it's funny, because they had a huge anti-rpg stance back then, even though an RPG saved their company. People got tired of Mario at the time, because they wanted to see badly pixelated boobs on Lara Croft, and because the 64 game was basically the SNES game in 3-d. Nowadays, though, MGS is Sony's bread-and-butter; so if Konami goes multi-platform with part 4, then SCEA is in trouble. FF peaked with X, and the only way they can get people to buy it nowadays is through Kingdom Hearts.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:53 am Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Luckily Sony has a really solid first party. I think the fact that it's heavily-Western loaded though puts it out of site for a lot of people that frequent sites like this.

Sorry but how do you figure? What big deal first party games does Sony have upcoming? God of War 3 will be a big one but we may not see it for years. LittleBigPlanet is highly anticipated but I must question it's mass market potential. There is Resistance 2, but it has always been stuck living in the shadow of Gears of War. What else am I forgetting?
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:33 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Zoe wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Sorry but how do you figure? What big deal first party games does Sony have upcoming? God of War 3 will be a big one but we may not see it for years. LittleBigPlanet is highly anticipated but I must question it's mass market potential. There is Resistance 2, but it has always been stuck living in the shadow of Gears of War. What else am I forgetting?

Ratchet & Clank (actually popular in Japan), Uncharted, Motorstorm (popular in Europe), Killzone (eh, we'll see), SOCOM (dedicated following), The Show, Gran Turismo, Singstar, Buzz

Now that SOE has been formally integrated into Sony's game division, more MMO's will start coming.

And then you've got all of the PSN efforts which has gotten some really great stuff from Japan and 2nd party deals
Urban_Deity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Let's see Resistance 1 sold over 3 million, Motor Storm sold close to 4 million and games like Heavenly Sword and Uncharted have both easily sold over a million. We don't even have to talk about Gran Tourismo which prints money or Metal Gear 4 which sold over 2 million in a week. Sony's doing fine and just needs to keep it up.
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I play games on my 360 because all of my friends have 360s and multiplayer is better there, but as a media center, the PS3 can't be beat.

I realize that's maybe not what they were going for but hey, I can dig it.

Actually, that is one of the goals Sony has for the PS3. In the beginning they were touting all of the PS3's capabilities in the hopes it would become the centerpiece of people's entertainment centers. The other goal, of course is to become the game machine of choice for players.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or does the editor of this love shmups?

Anyway, I'm excited about TFVI. If it doesn't come out here I will be angry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5