• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-07-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
Shinji, for example, is in fact emo. No matter how you use it, he's emo. He questions the value of his life, is socially retarded because of how sad he is, cries constantly, and is generally a wimp.

And that doesn't sound like, say, nearly every fourteen year old boy in existence? Especially one whose mother died and was abandoned by his father? God forbid he question his existence. All children should be stoic kill machines.

Quote:
Kira, on the other hand, is a whiny bitch. The situations in which he actually cries tend to at least be enough to dodge an emo label (though he really didn't have much reason to cry when he "killed" Waltfelt) but he always languishes around acting all sad and then just kills everything. You figure that by the end of the show (or even into Destiny for god's sake) he'd man up enough to at least only cry every other episode.

Kira actually doesn't even cry that often. Go back and watch SEED again. I'll agree that some of his beliefs are dangerously naive, and he comes off as irritating, but he's not "whiny".

Stop denying characters the right to act human.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:32 am Reply with quote
After what I wrote last week, I think it's important that I should mention that I am NOT Brandy Camel. I do happen to agree with them, though (except the part about Ouran High School, of course).

As for Haryo, shame on you. Three billion civilians died in the One Week War. Hope you had no family in the colonies or on the Earth. Otherwise, there's a 25% chance they're dead.
Commad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:04 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

As for Haryo, shame on you. Three billion civilians died in the One Week War. Hope you had no family in the colonies or on the Earth. Otherwise, there's a 25% chance they're dead.

lol, I think it's hilarious that in 3 different mecha's, Australia is also the first place to go (Rah-Xephon, Eva, and MSGundam),

but I'd have to agree with him in wanting to live in the UC timeline, there was just so much going on in the world, and so much to do if you're a hot-blooded youth yearning for battles and the like.

besides, what other Gundam timeline is better? G-Gundam? lulz

and I still think every animu needs a few colony drops, to help it develop character(s). ;[

I doubt I'd want to live in any anime worth watching though

Last edited by Commad on Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
The joke (based all too much in reality) is that Westerners often can't tell the difference between Asian ethnicities, and the more ethnocentric American yokels can't even distinguish in their minds between the different Asian countries.

Yup, it's not only the Mericans. Here in SA, people often ask me how my studies of Chinese are going. Rolling Eyes

Answerman wrote:
It's a lame way of mocking and dismissing someone; presumably the person snickering and calling someone "emo" does so because they are a badass with a heart of black iron and you could slaughter their family in front of them and they'd make fun of it online or something like that.

This is what I like about your column. Wink I had a good laugh.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
blind_assassin wrote:
Shinji, for example, is in fact emo. No matter how you use it, he's emo. He questions the value of his life, is socially retarded because of how sad he is, cries constantly, and is generally a wimp.

And that doesn't sound like, say, nearly every fourteen year old boy in existence? Especially one whose mother died and was abandoned by his father? God forbid he question his existence. All children should be stoic kill machines.

Just because it's justified doesn't mean I want to watch it for 26 episodes. Character growth, please.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I think the criticism of people for using the term "emo" is a little unfair.

While it is often used to generally and liberally, if you do use it in a relevant way it can be applicable. I would apply it to cases where a character is overly and unnecessarily emotional and sulky. That is a legitimate criticism of a character. For example I wouldn't describe Kira from SEED as such because his emotion seemed justified. (This is why I didn't mind him in SEED).

Also, to compare fiction to real life is inaccurate. Just because someone complains about overly "emo" fictional characters hardly translates to them thinking they are all badass of that others should be in real life. The whole appeal of anime can be that it is not real life. Just because something would be reasonable in real life, doesn't automatically mean it ought to be that way in anime. Another example, just because Shinji's actions may be appropriate or reasonable for a 14 year old in his situation in real life doesn't mean people want to see it. In the end, if he's whiny and mopey and that makes him annoying then thats a valid criticism.
Commad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
blind_assassin wrote:

Just because it's justified doesn't mean I want to watch it for 26 episodes. Character growth, please.

lol, because eva was purely about mecha battles, and no time or consideration was ever put into developing characters
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
Commad wrote:
lol, because eva was purely about mecha battles, and no time or consideration was ever put into developing characters

Now now, no need to be sarcastic. You were being sarcastic, right?

I do agree with the assertion that character growth was underdeveloped in EVA, deliberately so it seemed. But they got there in the end, I think. The last two episodes were a poor vehicle to......what am I doing? Arguing about Evangelion again.

I'll stop now.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:38 am Reply with quote
The word "emo" is definitely overused these days, so much that people have forgotten what it really means. I blame the brief popularity boom and how its gotten more media attention. OK, yes it's short for "emotional" but it refers to specific emotions, that of grief, sadness and confusion over trivial things (most prominent being dumped by a girl). Besides that, the word was used only to describe a style of rock music characterized by lyrics dealing with said issues, high pitched, whiny vocals and simple, light punk influenced riffing. But the use has been overblown and now it's being applied to all emotions, as if the only way to not be "emo" is to be a hollow shell of a human being. Seriously, learn the meaning and history of the word and stop using it so liberally.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:43 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Seriously, learn the meaning and history of the word and stop using it so liberally.

And while they're at it, people should learn the proper meaning of the word "ignorant" as well. Wink
Commad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:45 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
OK, yes it's short for "emotional" but it refers to specific emotions, that of grief, sadness and confusion over trivial things (most prominent being dumped by a girl)

DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Seriously, learn the meaning and history of the word and stop using it so liberally.

lulz

e·mo·tive
–adjective
1. characterized by or pertaining to emotion: the emotive and rational capacities of humankind.
2. productive of or directed toward the emotions: Artistic distortion is often an emotive use of form.

most people got the meaning of emo wrong in the first place, which is the problem

oh, forgot to add, emotive is a genre word used to describe a certain music movement. that music movement's namesake was hijacked by who knows anymore and the term was bastardized to what it is today
Akakori

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
Damn, I missed the Question of the Week.

I would've said Aria, because on Aqua nothing bad happens, ever. Who wouldn't wanna live in Neo-Venezia where everyone is friendly, crime is practically non-existent, and the weather is artificially controlled so it's never really bad?
x1onexwo1fx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:10 am Reply with quote
I wonder if anyone said Twelve Kingdoms for last week's Answerfans. That would've been an interesting read.

I hate how people use the word "emo" for everything these days, it's not even used correctly in the music industry anymore.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:12 am Reply with quote
x1onexwo1fx wrote:

I hate how people use the word "emo" for everything these days, it's not even used correctly in the music industry anymore.

You mean the new Jonas Brothers CD I got my little horn-rimmed nephew with goofy bangs wasn't the "emo" music the guy at Sam Goody said it was?
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
? Have you ever felt "Moe" to someone?

I'm willing to bet someone is gonna write a well crafted version of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_yMkBttqo0
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6