• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-07-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:10 am Reply with quote
That flake is so wrong. Everyone knows that only the person who makes it to the end of the grand line (AKA the registration line at Anime Expo) and finds Tezuka's Treasure can call himself King of the Animes.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's my age, but I never hear the word "emo" bandied about. Sure, I see it used on the internet, but in my life, it isn't a word used. Maybe you can only be "emo" if you are a teen to begin with.

I find the question for the week funny, do you feel "moe" towards someone in real life. I wouldn't ever think of it that way, but I sure probably feel that way towards my children. That seems very normal to me somehow.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:13 am Reply with quote
The great thing about being King of the Animes is you also get to be the King of Incorrect Pluralisation.

I agree that the term emo is really over/misused, and I have never felt moe towards anyone.

Japan and china are not the same country, and nor is india in africa. I wonder if the belief that anime is chinese was influenced by the whole communism vs. 'murica thing.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:27 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:

I find the question for the week funny, do you feel "moe" towards someone in real life. I wouldn't ever think of it that way, but I sure probably feel that way towards my children. That seems very normal to me somehow.

That's kinda what I was thinking too- the closest I can get is a kid I used to babysit, but you put any girl in charge of a toddler for a year and a half, and sooner or later that maternal instinct'll kick in. Wink
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote
Ugh, I also hate the word emo. If you show any negative emotion at all, you instantly get the emo label, and it's incredibly irritating.
Anyway, one of the previous posters made a comment about how Shinji is emo because he questions his life, cries a lot, and has poor social skills. I wouldn't call that emo. I would say that boy is suffering from a bad case of this little disease called depression.
If anything, I don't think he whined enough. I don't get where people's gripes that he never does anything, and doesn't try, come from. If you watch in the middle of the series, he does start to accept what he's doing, he does open up to the people around him more, and he starts to take some kind of pride in his job as a pilot. It's only after he spoiler[nearly kills his best friend] that he sinks back into his depression. And honestly, I can't blame a kid for questioning himself and crying over that.
Now, if Shinji had whined and cried to everyone because of something trivial, like, let's say, he couldn't find his favourite super hero undies, then sure, the kid is emo. Otherwise, not emo.

Ooh, and my answer for last weeks question, about what anime world I would like to live in is Paradise Kiss. But only if I get to be just as pretty as everyone else, because otherwise, that would be cause for me to be emo. But for me, Parakiss' world was almost like a fairy tale. Everyone was gorgeous, incredibly talented, intelligent, and dedicated to their art. And the clothes they designed? Oh man. I'd kill to be able to wear some of those clothes.
sena_h_dei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'll see The Dark Knight on cheapie Tuesday, but I'm a fan of the Burton films who wasn't that all enamored by Batman Begins, so my anticipation is a bit muted compared to most people.

You still have cheapie Tuesdays!? They got rid of it around here. Hopefully it's just for the summer though. Too bad I'll miss out on lots of cool movies. (I want to see Mama Mia! too)
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
I just imagined an all-Batman-cast play on Mama Mia.

Is there an emoticon for smiley heads exploding?
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
x1onexwo1fx wrote:
I wonder if anyone said Twelve Kingdoms for last week's Answerfans. That would've been an interesting read.

I almost did, but I couldn't think of a way to make my thoughts sound interesting. lol. I love the Twelve Kingdoms universe. It would definitely be my anime world of choice.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
I guess we can all say it wouldn't be weird or unusual for a female to say she feels "moe" for someone, but an adult male who isn't a father, close uncle, or brother will probably receive some weird looks, that is if everyone knew what moe meant. Moe doesn't have to imply lolicon but to those that dislike the fetish it usually does.

Quote:
the closest I can get is a kid I used to babysit, but you put any girl in charge of a toddler for a year and a half, and sooner or later that maternal instinct'll kick in.

That makes me wonder if there are even any heterosexual males out there that babysit children for strangers.
Eos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
While it is often used to generally and liberally, if you do use it in a relevant way it can be applicable. I would apply it to cases where a character is overly and unnecessarily emotional and sulky.

That's how I define real life "emo" kids, someone who turns dwelling on negativity into a lifestyle, and refuses to step outside of it. When you choose being mopey as your identity, instead of reactions to life experiences.

Come now Brandy, a shonen world would have it's benefits. People can sustain gaping wounds and never bleed to death, silly things like physics never apply, and the ratio of guys to gals is always in the ladies' favor. Perhaps just a visit would be nice, I love Bleach, but a world where you can die twice isn't my idea of a good time. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:44 am Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
I've met not one, but TWO people that thought that Japan was the capital city of China. I'll admit to terrible geography at times (until a few years ago I thought Bermuda was close to the Caribbean) but when you start combining countries it's pretty awful.

That's not bad, at one time my friend (who has a genius IQ no less) argued with me that Madagascar was in the Caribbean and Haiti was next to Africa. This lasted a while until I got a map out and was like dude no.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
Another good column.

Oh gawd, that one about the church and anime, I shake my head at that one. Been there mind you. It's surprising that the mindset of anime has changed a great deal from what it used to be. I remember a girl that came up to me in the library (ages ago) and asked me about anime. She was trying to research for a paper. My eyebrow almost flew off at the first comment about anime being perverted cartoons. In fact it was one of the notes she had on her scratch pad. What the hell did she she? Considering the amount of 'Iczer-1' smut at the time or coming across 'Cream Lemon' books and everyone else getting "buck naked", it never offended me. But I guessed those seeing it for the first time couldn't understand why nudity was so "free" in those shows. Having friends in the "vintage" circles helped me understand cultural the differences. Which I was able to explain to the "misinformed". I later wondered if folks were mature enough to accept the bathing scene in 'Totoro'.

But today considering my openess I often get a little overwhelmed at even their intentions. As things have changed considerably some things have remained the same.

Yeah, I'm guilty for using "emo" too. I thought it was short for "emotional". I know there's a whole misunderstood definition of it that doesn't really apply to the newer generation. So of course folks use it for everything without having a clue of it's true meaning.

What a crazy mixed up world we live in.
x1onexwo1fx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote
Kenotic wrote:

You mean the new Jonas Brothers CD I got my little horn-rimmed nephew with goofy bangs wasn't the "emo" music the guy at Sam Goody said it was?

I've never exactly listened to Jonas Brothers, but I doubt they're emo. In some cases, emo is just a style, a way to dress and do your hair.

Back in the day (mid-80's to late 90's), "emo" actually described a genre of music, but recently, it's been thrown around so sporadically to describe so many things that the word itself has lost its meaning.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
Funny that Batman and the overuse of 'emo' are brought up in the same column. While watching The Dark Knight yesterday, there were several points at which I was afraid that after the movie ended, on of the friends with which I watched it was going to come out calling Bruce Wayne emo. Fortunately, that didn't happen.

UtenaAnthy wrote:
The great thing about being King of the Animes is you also get to be the King of Incorrect Pluralisation.

Yeah, isn't that the truth Laughing Then again, if this flake wasn't actually a troll, I will be momentarily very sad.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
"Emo" From Urban Dictionary:

Quote:

When used as an adjective, emo generally refers to an individual who is either over-emotional or tends to exaggerate situations

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=emo%20%28adjective%29

I'd say that describes Kira and Shinji. Shinji was whinny way before the series, Eva just made him more sad. Compared to everyone in Seed, Kira had the easy life and he was the one who was most whinny and depressed. Even in the beginning of Destiny he moped around on the island while everyone else had a normal life. Besides, only people with low self-esteem would fall in love with someone who is extremely angry and insults them everyday. Would any guy date Asuka or Flay? (unless they want to be murdered. point proven.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6