• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TechTV Purchased by G4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:19 am Reply with quote
According to this FAQ on G4's site, Anime Unleashed will remain.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:24 am Reply with quote
[quote="Nagisa"]Anime Unleashed is the name given to the collection of anime that run on TechTV. Basically, they'll take two or three shows from their collection and run them a couple times, then swap them out for two or three more.

So far, their collection of titles includes Banner of the Stars, Betterman, Boogiepop Phantom, Crest of the Stars, Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure, Gatekeepers 21, Geneshaft, Last Exile, Serial Experiments Lain, Silent Möbius, SoulTaker, and they also once ran the Armitage III: Polymatrix movie.

Yeah AE's line up sounds far more interesting than adult swim's
(And i for one loved the bebop series.) Now if only they could air the aforementioned shows in their purist form. Uncut and without commercials. BTW what do you guys think of ADV's anime network?

As for X-play, Man is that show awful. Before you know it, spoiler[Both Adam and Morgan will be slinging fries at your nearest Mc Donalds.] Wink
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:04 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
Now if only they could air the aforementioned shows in their purist form. Uncut and without commercials.

Um.....yeah, amazing how you can complain about edits when, as I said, the only content alterations made for TechTV's anime are extremely minor time cuts. And how is being commercial free an anime's "purest form," when most of these shows also ran on Japanese TV with commercials?

the_soultaker wrote:
As for X-play, Man is that show awful. Before you know it, spoiler[Both Adam and Morgan will be slinging fries at your nearest Mc Donalds.] Wink

Why the spoiler tags? And I love this horrific attitude everyone has of "fire this man because I don't like him, bwaaaahaahaa!" Yeah, calling for a man to be stripped of his livelihood for trying to entertain people, that's mature...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:28 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
the_soultaker wrote:
Now if only they could air the aforementioned shows in their purist form. Uncut and without commercials.

Um.....yeah, amazing how you can complain about edits when, as I said, the only content alterations made for TechTV's anime are extremely minor time cuts. And how is being commercial free an anime's "purest form," when most of these shows also ran on Japanese TV with commercials?

Well pardon me for misquoting. And yes i know that most anime DVDs have originally aired on japanese television, But as a collector of an estimated 300+ DVDs, I tend to become spoiled.
thus i have no patience for TV spots. especially when tech tv's ads look like short infomercials. There's also skepticism in regards to American networks airing anime series. (censorship)
the_soultaker wrote:

Why the spoiler tags? And I love this horrific attitude everyone has of "fire this man because I don't like him, bwaaaahaahaa!" Yeah, calling for a man to be stripped of his livelihood for trying to entertain people, that's mature...

Uh "HELLO"...The spoiler tags you're refering about was meant as a humorous comment in regards to my disatisfaction of the recent X-play shows.(which a few on this board have stated.) I'm not calling for Adam or Morgan's termination. But i predict that the show won't last past a year the way it's going.

As for you sir/madam, You come off like some sort of anime elitist. Regardless if you have a sense of humor or not. Which Obviously you don't, mainly due to the fact that you have read too deep into what i was posting. Rolling Eyes

But i'm not going to fall into some Flame thread with you.
(why belittle you or myself?) Instead i'll "steer clear" of any further antagonizing debacles. which i'm sure will rear it's ugly head . Wink "next"! Arrow
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:47 pm Reply with quote
X-Play? Man, I watch that show nearly every day. Although I can't quite explain why.

Maybe it's the shoddy, amatuerish humor and appallingly low production values?

Anyway. Glad to know they're keeping Anime Unleashed, even though I rarely if ever watch it. I at least appreciate that they tend to license more risky properties, like Soultaker and Boogiepop, along with more accessible fare like Last Exile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zeiram

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, no tech live or call for help?

Eh well, I now believe tech live is a bad news service. Anything tech is ok, but if it strays to otherthings, it's like it's passe dby word of mouth, the information is not detailed enough. I don't mean for an in depth explanation, it's just the way they say it, it coems off as incorrect information.

I know not how often, i'll just not be so upset about that show over the other one. x_x screensavers ownz!1

Hm I wonder when the hosts will comment on this, nothing as of yet.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt the hosts will comment at all. They are probably under contract with a disclosure agreement that prevents them from commenting on the movements of the company itself to the press in any way. I'd say it is safe to say that most media companies are like that.

Even in my case, (I work under a Time Warner owned property - feel free to guess which one if you want) I've gotten notices coming down from the corporate level. It basically reminds us every once in a while that if we are asked to give any kind of interview, we are to politely decline and forward the request to our supervisors and then they handle it from there. (I suspect a chain-of-command situation here.)

In the end, you should only expect comments from Comcast and Tech TV's PR and corporate people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
Well, no tech live or call for help?

I don't know if I'm missing something here, but the "show list" I saw on that site only listed what...six shows between both networks? I don't think it's definitive, and there have to be several other shows that'll be staying. Since Leo LaPorte's now off The Screen Savers, chances are the one show he is left on (Call for Help) will make the cut. If not, that's the shortest host change-up I've ever seen. Leo's a mainstay of the network, and a lot of regular viewers (myself included) would be just a little more than pissed off if he was taken off the air altogether just because Comcast needed a crutch to hock their crappy gaming network. So if they're smart, they'll keep him around, meaning Call for Help will also stay, most likely.

As for TechLive...it has less of a chance than Call for Help, but I get the feeling it'll stick around, too. If not, expect Jessica Corbin to take her spot on TSS back from that Sarah what'sherface (nothing against her, but I just woke up and I can't recall names very well at the moment).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3