• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Victory Dance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote
The only episode of Shuffle I've ever watched was Kaede's disturbing backstory, a friend was watching the series and was so taken aback by it that he wanted to share (he might have been "rooting" for her too, hahaha).

I've been wanting to check out Flag for some time, but finding volume one has proved challenging for some reason, I'll have to grab it on an online store then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
silentystolen wrote:
however there's nothing I hate more than victorian romance Razz
Care to elaborate more? Why is a romance story set in Victorian England any more, or less different to one in the 17th., or 18th. Century, or the 21st. or 24th. Century, at any place on this planet, or some other?
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:40 am Reply with quote
Your reviews are great. But I also look forward to your little "slice of life" introductions. I get to learn about luxurious shampoos and now Om water, which would be funny if it wasn't so sad. What will Bamboo Dong discover next?

I pre-ordered Emma volumes 1 and 2 last summer. I was so happy to get the first box. The series is wonderful!
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Coincidentally, Animax-Asia is re-running their English dub of EMMA.

where might one go about purchasing said English dubbed version? with an English dub (even a bad English dub) I'd be willing to give this a try. a quick google search turned up a lot of forum posts, but no place to buy it.
aluria

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Excellent review on A Victorian Romance Emma. I watched the series when it first premiered after I saw a spread in Newtype USA. Completely worth my time, I cannot wait to see the second season. Will definitely be picking up the first boxset at Anime Evolution whenever it's held.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I cannot believe I am going to say this......I think I might be replacing Aoi Sakuraba as the sweetest character in a love story with Emma. I just got my set in the mail and started watching it like a kid who had been deprived of candy his entire life. She's just so kind and sweet you can't help but like her. Plus she does it with class and depth and doesn't rely on hordes of pantie shots or sexual situations like most anime "romances" anymore. It's just sweet and wholesome.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I can watch subbed anime as much as the next guy, but a show based in Victorian England in Japanese only? Sorry, but I'm gonna have to get totally blown away by it when I check it out via rental to even think about buying.

I am still waiting on Netflix to get Volume 4 of Flag in, but I loved 1-3. Maybe I should just go pick it up, especially with the Bandai sale at Right Stuf (that hasn't ended yet, has it?)

I will reserve judgement on Shuffle! until it is out in its entirety, at which point I will give it a look-see via Netflix.

I bought box 1 of Aquarion due to my mech habit, plus Yoko Kanno. While far from perfect, I enjoyed it for the most part. I'll be picking up the second half soon.
retty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I really disliked Emma. The whole point is they're meant to be divided by society, but there is barely even a hint of that in the anime. After 5 episodes I gave up on it. They don't behave at all as people would have done in that time. If you want period romance just watch a movie or read a book, but stay away from Emma.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I actually laughed out loud at work when I followed the link to the Shuffle poster. Nice accessory placement.

I have a rather large to-be-watched backlog of disks I already own, its good to hear that when it becomes Emma's turn I will be in for a treat.

Add me to the list of people having Flag volume 4 at the top of both Netflix and Rentanime queues for a couple of weeks now, with still no closure.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
What the hell? Those .... *ahem* .... items next to the Shuffle! poster .... suggestive, much? Rolling Eyes

*shakes head in utter disbelief*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FrosephtheShadowman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
It's Always nice to see a personal favourite of mine get totally slated in a review. Especially if that certain disc of Shuffle! contains my favourite anime episode of all time (episode 19 to be precise) as well as one of my favourite characters of all time (that'd be the much slated Kaede).
Personally my opinion is that Rin is a bit of a twit, I dont like him and he never treated her right, and never once considered her feelings, instead he just went with a flow and never once made h9is own feelings clear, stringing along a host of girls like they were nothing romantically to him. And with all the tragedy in Kaede's past, I personally feel her somewhat over the top psychopathic, currently surfacing nature is somewhat justified.
Of course, this is just my opinion, and sure Shuffle! has its problems, I just thought i'd provide the show with a little justification to spend time watching. I'm defintely going to be purchasing when the DVD's hit the UK
Showsni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to see what the Magic cards were in the Shelf Obsessed section... Now I'm disappointed. Any Power 9?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
What the hell? Those .... *ahem* .... items next to the Shuffle! poster .... suggestive, much? Rolling Eyes

*shakes head in utter disbelief*

I think it was hilarious. Like the picture online of the hentai body pillow with the tissues at the edge of the bed. It's funny cause ya know somewhere some fan proves the joke true. It's funny in a sad, scary, and twisted way. I'm sure me finding it funny is no surprise to anyone what so ever though. Where's my brother in arms when I need him. Richard.......
Soul Tsukino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo Dong, Subtle humor Ninja
Klaous

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow I'm kinda shocked my shelf got here haha. It was a kind of a spur of the moment thing. Felt bored and grab my camera and took some shots.

First time poster (makes sense considering I just signed up for the forums to reply to this haha =_=')

To reply to a few of the posts:

escahime65 wrote:
Look, a collection with Death Note, Girl Got Game and Imadoki!

Ah, a man after my own heart. Very Happy

Yeah alot of polar opposites there haha. I'm a fan of shoujo manga and anime so yeah I question about myself every so often haha. And like any other guy I get the standard action shounen manga.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Are those the HD remastered editions of Macross in that pic? I've about given up on the Macross movie being released in the States, and am really considering buying the newly remastered R2 edition as well.

Yeah they are I'm amazed you actually saw that. Although those are only the movies. Macross: Do You Remember Love? and Macross Flashback. I'm seriously thinking of buying the Macross box set on amazon cause I'm that big of a Macross/Robotech buff.

kirbyboy102 wrote:
Surprised I want a paper lei!

I'm not that envious of that guys collection because I own/have read about all the shojo titles, as well as AI Love You and Negima.

You would say other wise if you were wearing it during my high school graduation. Although it did let me to talk a girl I really liked and even got the local newspaper to interview me and take a picture Very Happy and about my "collection". I'm not envious of it either. Theres so much that I want but don't have to money to go out and buy.

Showsni wrote:
I wanted to see what the Magic cards were in the Shelf Obsessed section... Now I'm disappointed. Any Power 9?

Nah I sell off all my cards every so often. I used to play Type 2 only drafts so yeah. Those are cards that I've had for the past two years or so that I ahven't gotten rid of cause I stopped playing well two years ago.

And thats that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3